Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Belfast International To Castlebar

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭

Coming for 2 weeks in August. I can save $500 on flights and close to $1000 on car rental by flying into Belfast instead of Shannon.

Question: How cumbersome of a drive is it from Belfast Intl to Castlebar?

Would it be worth it to save $1500?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whitey1 wrote: »
    Coming for 2 weeks in August. I can save $500 on flights and close to $1000 on car rental by flying into Belfast instead of Shannon.

Question: How cumbersome of a drive is it from Belfast Intl to Castlebar?

Would it be worth it to save $1500?

id say its about a 4 hour drive, id say you make a saving alright but its not going to good roads to drive on. google maps gives 3 different routes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 572 ✭✭✭voz es

I did this drive last week it is not the most direct of journeys. I'm told thcheapest car rental around is at Knock airport even by european standards, is there a belfast - Ireland airport west connecting that is what I would be looking at

• Registered Users Posts: 6,769 ✭✭✭nuac

Allow about four hours for the drive thru Enniskillen, Sligo.

I used to do it in that time in the sixties, and the road has been vastly improved since

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Lived in Belfast for 9 months and drove to Cbar every weekend, was taking me 3.5 hours on Fri evening and Sunday. So ya 4 hours would be the marker, though the roads are better now. Well worth the savings.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Thanks everyone. If it's 4 hours it's only an hour longer than driving from Dublin., so definitely might be worth it

Also Coming back to US, my guess is that I could get through Belfast a lot quicker than Dublin-therefore would not need to spend the night before I come back in a hotel

Crazy difference in car rental prices between Shannon/Dublin and Belfast. Knock is an option but then I would need someone to pick me up and drop me off in Shannon/Dublin/Belfast which I would rather not do

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,493 ✭✭✭irishgeo

whitey1 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. If it's 4 hours it's only an hour longer than driving from Dublin., so definitely might be worth it

Also Coming back to US, my guess is that I could get through Belfast a lot quicker than Dublin-therefore would not need to spend the night before I come back in a hotel

Crazy difference in car rental prices between Shannon/Dublin and Belfast. Knock is an option but then I would need someone to pick me up and drop me off in Shannon/Dublin/Belfast which I would rather not do
    not sure it really matters but us customs is done in dublin so it takes longer to go through but us and non us citizens are kept apart. , if you go through belfast its done in america.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭whitey1

Thanks for all the info. I ended up changing the dates of my flights and saved about $2k, so I am going to fly in and out of dublin

Advertisement