Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Geneology in Dublin

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭

Anywhere that does testing on your ancestral line in Dublin at all? I want to go as far back as possible through DNA testing!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Patience grasshopper.

You can easily go back thousands of years with a DNA test but it won't tell you very much. Filling in the gaps will also be a little trickier, to say the least.

Start with your family and genealogy records. Leave the DNA test until later.

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Menelaun

Patience grasshopper.

You can easily go back thousands of years with a DNA test but it won't tell you very much. Filling in the gaps will also be a little trickier, to say the least.

Start with your family and genealogy records. Leave the DNA test until later.

Ive gone back at least 6 genrrations on my Dad's dide the reason I wanted to take the test is my mam's side is a big mess of moving from country to country and no one knowing where they came from before my Grandmothers parents emigrated here!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm not an expert on DNA but I don't think a test will narrow that down too much for you. If you got your mother to do an autosomal DNA test then you might find cousins within a few removes/generations in other places, but you would still need to go back to paper records to match it up.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Coolnabacky1873

Menelaun wrote: »
    I've gone back at least 6 generations on my Dad's side

My cheeky comment stands corrected!:D Well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

I did the one this site for 50 euros or something.

https://www.familytreedna.com/projects.aspx

There are several Irish groups represented there including some very ancient Irish lines (over 1000 years old) I was hoping to match into... You get to join one of the groups if your dna matches enough - then its a hunt to find paperwork to match.

The low cost one matches only on your Fathers side though - highlights anyone in the world that might be related and it also tells you where your linage came from couple thousand years ago with nice migration maps - Viking, Scot etc.

Information was fun to know..

“Roll it back”

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

Ive gone back at least 6 genrrations on my Dad's dide the reason I wanted to take the test is my mam's side is a big mess of moving from country to country and no one knowing where they came from before my Grandmothers parents emigrated here!

Six generations! That's impressive, I am at a standstill now with my great-grandfather on my paternal side 'cos I have yet to find the town he was born. A long search still lies ahead but I am determined to get it if it kills me! :mad:

Jellybaby1 wrote: »
    Six generations! That's impressive, I am at a standstill now with my great-grandfather on my paternal side 'cos I have yet to find the town he was born. A long search still lies ahead but I am determined to get it if it kills me! :mad:
    Apparently they all live in the same town for years and years and the whole family was digging about into the Family tree for a reunion so we went back as far as possible

I also dont think I explained what i wanted to i want to see where my family orginates from through the DNA thing my mam's side is a total mystery we are english two generations back but before that it's anyone's guess! I was wondering is there a place that does tests like those available on 23andme in ireland as it'd be a bit easier for me to get in done in person than on the net!

There's none in Dublin as far as I know. They all post you a kit and you post it back.
    If you went to Back to Our Past in October, they'd have the kits there, but you'll still have to wait for the results by post.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    There's none in Dublin as far as I know. They all post you a kit and you post it back.
    If you went to Back to Our Past in October, they'd have the kits there, but you'll still have to wait for the results by post.

What site would you suggest to get it done on I am heading off the week that Back to Our Past is on unfortunately.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

23andme has the largest database and has some good features, I tested with them and would recommend them.
    These tests work best with a paper trail to confirm matches or in your case to eliminate one side of your family b

Ipso wrote: »
    23andme has the largest database and has some good features, I tested with them and would recommend them.
    These tests work best with a paper trail to confirm matches or in your case to eliminate one side of your family b

Ok cool just out interest how long was the wait?

I haven't done one myself but was recommended FTDNA at a talk given by Dr Maurice Gleeson, who has become a person of note in the field of genetic genealogy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

I haven't done one myself but was recommended FTDNA at a talk given by Dr Maurice Gleeson, who has become a person of note in the field of genetic genealogy.

Ill check it out thanks!

Ok cool just out interest how long was the wait?

I think six weeks or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭ozmo

That's the one I did - I had maybe 6 possible matches worldwide but none worked out as being of close relatives. Showed I was of Viking decent though. But they keep the search going so might match into some existing tree in the future.

I had more success with non dna sites in finding new people for my tree - found links to two trees of distant but living relatives that expanded my tree a lot via myheritage and their excellent pc software

http://www.myheritage.com/family-tree-builder

“Roll it back”

Was your haplogroup I1?

Advertisement