Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

rc8 opinions?

• 16-06-2014 10:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭

I have been waiting a long time now for the rite big bang r1 to come up...I thought I'd get a cheap bike to keep me going in the mean time...

However I just saw an rc8 in the flesh and was very impressed - so much so that I'm considering one instead of the r1.

What are peoples opinions on them? What drew me to the big bang r1 was the sound, looks and the linear power delivery..and the rc8 ticks all these boxes too.

I know it lacks things like a slipper clutch, traction control etc, but does anyone have any experience with them? I'm a fairly novice rider so don't want something too hardcore , my last bike was a gsxr750 and really liked it.

Anyone know how much a valve clearance (20k km service) costs?

Any opinions welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,306 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Probably won't get an owners perspective here, not a very common bike. Ask on somewhere like here, you'll get loads of feedback
    http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=135

I did the same before I got the Ducati and all my questions were answered, seems that all the scare stories from people with a "mate had one of those" are rubbish :D. You need to hear actual owners feedback.
    RC8 is supposed to be an amazing machine, always interesting to see someone going for something that isn't a japanese litre sports bike! I wouldn't be a fan of it lookswise, but think I'm in a minority!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,571 ✭✭✭The Don

Really cool bike, I like them a lot. One of the guys we go on spins with has one. Very fast as he has put all the extras into her. The other lads who've taken her for a spin have all good things to say.

He's had her a good few years now and if thinking of trading in for an s1000rr.

I've heard that with V-twin you'll have to have everything right going into corners. Gear, speed, line, etc so since you're a novice (your own words :)) I'm not sure it's the best fit yet.

However I guess you could always take it easy on her until you're well used to her ;):p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cojomo2

cheers lads.

Did a bit more research, seems good overall. Throttle can be snatchy at low speeds..water pumps seals tend to go a lot but apart from that they seem like a lot of fun.

I was supposed to be buying one today but the seller is missing a key and hasn't the key code to order a new one..was chatting to the mechanic in KTM and he put me off saying that service history on these is extremely important ..(the one I was looking at had 18.5k with no history).

I've no key code and only one key with my bike, but I was told €50 and that place on the Naas Road could clone it anyway. Looked into getting a spare one for my BMW (never did) and it was roughly the same price, so spare key mightn't be a biggie.
    Obviously service history is a different story.

Cienciano wrote: »
    I've no key code and only one key with my bike, but I was told €50 and that place on the Naas Road could clone it anyway. Looked into getting a spare one for my BMW (never did) and it was roughly the same price, so spare key mightn't be a biggie.
    Obviously service history is a different story.

Did abit more digging on the bike I viewed..it was serviced in UK @1k miles, again here about 10 months ago @ about 15km..so thats not too bad.

I did a history check on it and it came back amber as it went through a period of about 9 months untaxed...is this anything to worry about?

• Advertisement

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Did abit more digging on the bike I viewed..it was serviced in UK @1k miles, again here about 10 months ago @ about 15km..so thats not too bad.

I did a history check on it and it came back amber as it went through a period of about 9 months untaxed...is this anything to worry about?

Change of owner should cancel out any of that. You just pay from the date you sign the log book, whatever the previous owner did doesn't effect you

Cienciano wrote: »
    Change of owner should cancel out any of that. You just pay from the date you sign the log book, whatever the previous owner did doesn't effect you

Thanks Cienciano.

One more thing- The bike is originally a UK bike, I did aN '' Iirish and UK history check'' on it but should probably do a finance check too before I hand over the cash. Will I have to pay for a finance check on a UK hpi site and an Irish hpi site, or whats the craic? Thanks

cojomo2 wrote: »
    Thanks Cienciano.

One more thing- The bike is originally a UK bike, I did aN '' Iirish and UK history check'' on it but should probably do a finance check too before I hand over the cash. Will I have to pay for a finance check on a UK hpi site and an Irish hpi site, or whats the craic? Thanks

I've no idea on that one! Motors forum will probably have info on that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭Wossack

try and get more details on the spare key situation from the ktm mechanic fella - on some bikes it can be very pricey if theres an immobiliser at play

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,032 ✭✭✭colm_c

KTM have a woeful key system. They can all be started with a screwdriver if there is no immobilser enabled. It's not like the Ducati key where you need to replace a coded key.

They don't normally replace the key/barrel on their own, but just replace the whole set (key, ignition, fuel cap etc) with a kit.

This may be changed recently (or with the rc8) but I doubt it.

Source: I had my KTM tampered with (scum broke the ignition lock). I was able to start it with a screwdriver, the immobiliser kept it from being taken. Cops and the KTM mechanic said that they were a big target because of the key system.

Love the rc8, but get all the keys sorted and get a good disc lock for out and about!

• Advertisement
Advertisement