Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Two flatmates breaking lease agreement in house of five

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

The situation is, I'm living in a house with 4 other phd students, and some troubles have risen up

One of them has moved his friend (he's not gay, just cutting costs) in for 4/5 nights in a week. They each take turns on the bed/floor in his room.

Another one is moving to England and has subletted to a new person for the duration of the rest of the lease (start of oct).

I was wondering if this was hazardous to our deposits/lease? Is it possible for our landlord to kick us out if he discovered the situation?

I wasn't informed of the room sharing until it happened and only given a few days notice of the subletting. The other two guys and I are a bit worried something could happen

Any advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

Couple of ways of approaching these things. The guy who is on sublet has no legal right to be there as he is not on the lease. The guy with the friend over 5 day a week is also take the piss. You basically live in a house of 6 people with only 5 people paying there way. 2-3 a week might be okay if the person was cool.
    Did any of you living there have any say in who the room was sublet to by your ex-room mate.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Zaffy

Did any of you living there have any say in who the room was sublet to by your ex-room mate.

He showed us to him via skype and that was pretty much it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

You should be able to get the guy replacing the person who went to England on the lease. He'll just have to supply a reference or 2.

Is the 2 people sharing a room using the rest of the house as any other tenant would? Are they both paying an equal share of bills? If someone moved someone in while halving their rent I would be annoyed. They are probably using the kitchen etc so I would expect a reduction for you as well. This could prove troublesome in getting him added to the lease so at best the LL won't care, the LL could tell you to get rid of him or evict you for breaking the lease. Most mention subletting being bad as they don't want people in the house without the LL knowing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

The sublet doesn't seem like a big issue so long as the lad has references and the landlord is informed.

The guy splitting his rent is taking the piss however.

I'm assuming here that the rent due is for the house so the amount you pay should also be revised.

Unless the extra man goes in the front door and straight to the bedroom then he isn't renting a room, he's renting the house so rent should be split 5 ways.

A friend of mine had the same issue where one of the housemates thought he could pull a fast one and get cheaper rent but my friend and another in the house brought it up and basically discussed and divided up the rent 5 ways fairly.

The extra body didn't wait around much longer given the rent he was paying to sleep on the floor most nights.

Advertisement