Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aud- eur

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:36pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I have aprox $60000 I want to transfer from aud to eur in the coming weeks. I have no real knowledge of transfers and rates etc. Is it a good time to transfer or will I hold off?? Thank you in advance guys
    Suain

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

I'd hold off....I expect the AUD to break 70 cents sometime in the next few weeks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,092 ✭✭✭catbear

Suain wrote: »
    I have aprox $60000 I want to transfer from aud to eur in the coming weeks. I have no real knowledge of transfers and rates etc. Is it a good time to transfer or will I hold off?? Thank you in advance guys
    Suain
    A lot of people here use currencyfair, I've used them for years now and never had a problem that wasn't easily fixed. There are other online services, some may have better rates but all beat the main street banks by a wide margin.

• Registered Users Posts: 899 ✭✭✭sin_city

Currency Fair is great....saves you a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

sin_city wrote: »
    Currency Fair is great....saves you a fortune

It is indeed, but I think the maximum amount you can transfer at one time is 10k.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

Ozforex allows $80K

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,251 ✭✭✭massdebater

Feelgood wrote: »
    It is indeed, but I think the maximum amount you can transfer at one time is 10k.

Not sure what the max is but I transferred 40k in one go a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭res ipsa

Not sure what the max is but I transferred 40k in one go a few months ago.

No max AFAIK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Suain

Thanks all, have it sitting in currency fair account. Will hold on a few days and see if rate climbs. Thanks very much everyone for your help

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭sebastianlieken

If you have the funds sitting on your currencyfair account, you should put it on the marketplace. Set your own exchange rate against your money and when the market sways in your favor, the exchange will be processed automatically at the rate that you specified.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

I use currency fair all the time it's dead handy. If you're transferring money into Ireland just be sure to keep an eye on limits.

I think anything over 5k into a bank account gets flagged for revenue for money laundering or something and there may be a limit of how much you can send into the country without paying taxes. If that is the case maybe multiple transfers is the way to go

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Faolchu wrote: »
    I use currency fair all the time it's dead handy. If you're transferring money into Ireland just be sure to keep an eye on limits.

I think anything over 5k into a bank account gets flagged for revenue for money laundering or something and there may be a limit of how much you can send into the country without paying taxes. If that is the case maybe multiple transfers is the way to go

Source? There is no taxation on money going into Ireland that you've already cleared in the host country. I've sent back a decent amount this year and no men in black suits have come knocking down my door :pac: Just make sure you keep your Aus bank records to prove where the money came from.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 pa_

If you have the funds sitting on your currencyfair account, you should put it on the marketplace. Set your own exchange rate against your money and when the market sways in your favor, the exchange will be processed automatically at the rate that you specified.

+1 - Don't just use the quick trade option with that much cash - set up an offer that you would like or that beats the current offer. You might have to sell it off in a few chunks but you could save yourself a few hundred by "haggling" this way.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭Legend100

commited wrote: »
    Source? There is no taxation on money going into Ireland that you've already cleared in the host country. .

That isn't technically true but I won't bore everyone with a tax residency explanation :D

The previous poster is correct though, there is a treshold that banks are required to report to Revenue. It is a money laundering obligation. As long as you can prove the source of the money is from salary here, there is no problem. Just keep payslips if you are sending large amounts home.

Had a client (i'm an accountant and tax adviser) when I was back in Ireland who got a letter in 2010 about deposits lodged from Saudi Arabia in 1998 to their Irish accounts so the Revenue can follow up alright

Advertisement