Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

The Chinese hub of Athlone

• 16-06-2014 10:37pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭

The Chinese hub of Athlone - Nice lads them Chinese, do people remember this story ? Now tell the truth who actually believed it ??

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,459 ✭✭✭Chucken

What's the story?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭6541

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,954 ✭✭✭Tail Docker

Was a good idea. Is it shelved?

6541 wrote: »
    The Chinese hub of Athlone - Nice lads them Chinese, do people remember this story ? Now tell the truth who actually believed it ??

A great bunch of lads

• Closed Accounts Posts: 236 ✭✭thisonetaken

Was a good laugh that story, fair play to all involved

• Advertisement

If ya believe that shoite then you believe Bertie Aherne did not have a Bank Account !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

I have a Chinese hub in my town aswell, does a decent goats balls and chips.

Was a good laugh that story, fair play to all involved

I actually remember excited politicians spouting nonsense about this.
    Why would a bunch of Chinese lads invest in Ireland and Athlone at that. Its actual comical !!

6541 wrote: »
    I actually remember excited politicians spouting nonsense about this.
    Why would a bunch of Chinese lads invest in Ireland and Athlone at that. Its actual comical !!

I thought it was a good idea. We need a few good ideas, big ideas, not piddly little parochial ones. Hosting even a "China expo" for suppliers to showcase their products would be a draw for a huge number of businesses that frankly can't be ar5ed trogging all the way to china and then schlepping round on a long, long trail from factory to factory. I know China has it's own expos, but why not create a massive expo center here in Ireland? It could host far more than just chinese products.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Lyle Lanley: I swear it's Athlone's only choice... Throw up your hands and raise your voice!
    All: Chinese Hub!
    Lyle Lanley: What's it called?
    All: Chinese Hub!
    Lyle Lanley: Once again...
    All: Chinese Hub! Chinese Hub! Chinese Hub!
    Homer: D'oh!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

I thought it was a good idea. We need a few good ideas, big ideas, not piddly little parochial ones. Hosting even a "China expo" for suppliers to showcase their products would be a draw for a huge number of businesses that frankly can't be ar5ed trogging all the way to china and then schlepping round on a long, long trail from factory to factory. I know China has it's own expos, but why not create a massive expo center here in Ireland? It could host far more than just chinese products.

Why on earth would they build it in Ireland and not central Europe?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

I like a nice Sweet and Sour chicken. The Chinese are good at that sort of thing.

kneemos wrote: »
    Why on earth would they build it in Ireland and not central Europe?

Because it would do us fcuk all good if it was in central europe...?? We could big up the "Midway US Europe" guff and people like a junket - we could become a junket destination. Fcuk me, do I need to sell this all by myself. It's a HUB, a HUB for the Chinese! They have money, we need money, lets have a HUB. Hub is good. Hubbahubba.

Hubs tend to go in the middle of your network (well switches these days) not at the edge, somewhere like Hampsterjam would be a more appropriate place foe a central trading hub.

This video makes more sense than a Chinese hub in Athlone!

Because it would do us fcuk all good if it was in central europe...?? We could big up the "Midway US Europe" guff and people like a junket - we could become a junket destination. Fcuk me, do I need to sell this all by myself. It's a HUB, a HUB for the Chinese! They have money, we need money, lets have a HUB. Hub is good. Hubbahubba.

Thought the Chinese were planning on building it.Not sure about its usefulness anyway given the number of manufacturing companies in any Chinese city and the variety of products they make.

kneemos wrote: »
    Thought the Chinese were planning on building it.Not sure about its usefulness anyway given the number of manufacturing companies in any Chinese city and the variety of products they make.

You reckon we need to make it even bigger? Good one. I concur. A big Hub. We need a big Hub. Everyone will be jealous of our massive Hub. The sneerers will be gutted.

You reckon we need to make it even bigger? Good one. I concur. A big Hub. We need a big Hub. Everyone will be jealous of our massive Hub. The sneerers will be gutted.

I concur.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Good plan, Athlone is already the hub of Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

The words junket and athlone do not belong together

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Itsdacraic wrote: »

I agree. Definitely more of a "Lollapalooza" kind of town.

• Advertisement

Itsdacraic wrote: »

Wait till they get their Hub, it'll be junket central. A slight name change might be needed, somthing along the lines of Athcrone or Athfrone - well worth it in the name of progress. There may also be a need to raze a fair bit of it to the ground in order to create space, but sure eggs and omelettes and all that. Every cloud has a silver lining..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,259 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

I thought Bray was the Chinese hub of Ireland. Well, at least if you go down the Albert Walk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Yup. Something went Wong.

TheZohan wrote: »

City idea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

TheZohan wrote: »

Sum Ting?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Sum Ting?

The whole project was moving too Foo Kin slow for their liking.

Advertisement