Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Manual Clay Traps

Options
  • 16-06-2014 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone had any experience with GDK or Do All clay throwers advertised online. A lot of the makes advertised look very similar.

I'm looking to spent around 100 - 150 euros on a clay trap and it would be great if anyone had any tips on a goof trap.

Thanks Jack
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,552 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

I don't own but have used a single arm thrower. As you said a lot of them look the same so i don't know the make, but it looks like the Do ALL.

The frame was okay, but felt flimsy, and somewhat unstable. The single throwing arm work, but adjustments/varitey were not great. Prices were between €120 - €140 depending on the dealer you buy from.

In the end i went with the Bowman Supertrap 3. I made up my own frame that folds/breaks down into three separate peices, but once together makes a much more solid frame. now as i have not used the bowman frame i don't know what it's like, but it looks solid enough. I used an old school chair with the legs cut of and made up a 1.5" tubular frame with locking nut and retaining bolts. I then welded it all onto an old frame from a pipe bender and bolted the thrower directly onto this.

The Bowman are not cheap though. I paid over €330, but with a double arm and a serious amount of adjustment it gives great variety. The distance it throws is also stupid long. We measured it one day and the longest throw was just shy of 130 yards. They came out of the trap like a scolded cat. :D

I went for the manual over the electric for both price and ease of use reasons. The manual just needs to be stuck together, anywhere, but the electric meant having a battery and making sure it stays charged, etc. Not a major ordeal, but an extra bit that had to be done. Plus if i lend it out i don't have to worry about the battery, etc.

Bit of fun with a few mates.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭higgins_j

Thanks Cass

• Closed Accounts Posts: 213 ✭✭270WIN

i have a "do all" trap and a "bowman no 3". the bowman is far superior. it will throw doubles farther than the do all will throw a single. Cheap traps will throw "soft" targets that u will get used to very quickly and will not challenge you. the bowman throws fast targets up to 100 yds that will test you to the limit. the only downside is that it will tire out your arms pretty quickly!!.IMO but a good trap once...you will always get most of your money back if u get tired of it...but you couldnt give the cheap ones away.

Advertisement