Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22 year olds in secondary school ?

• 16-06-2014 11:20pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7

The back to school uniform allowance is paid untill 22 years old if the child is still in second level, Do you know any 22 year olds still in secondary school ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I knew a lad who repeated and he was 21 when he sat his leaving the second time.

The back to school uniform allowance is paid untill 22 years old if the child is still in second level, Do you know any 22 year olds still in secondary school ?

Not personally, but there may be people who's illness or special needs delays them finishing second level until they're a bit older, so I don't see why it shouldn't be available to them in those circumstances.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭mardybumbum

Yep, I know a lad who left school, moved over to England and worked as a chef for 3 years and was 22 doing the LC.

Did pretty well too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,550 ✭✭✭✭kowloon

What Candie said. There shouldn't be an age limit on it at all as long as they're a dependant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Youd be almost 10 years old in junior infants!!!:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭Lyaiera

There was a 21 year old in my school when we sat the leaving cert. She had been quite ill during her teenage years and only got a chance to do the leaving cert at 21.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,433 ✭✭✭NomadicGray

Youd be almost 10 years old in junior infants!!!:eek:

You'd be king of the playground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 913 ✭✭✭MacBizzle

Will there ever be a social welfare payment AH won't try to criticise?

Ye're worse than Fine Gael.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Not uncommon, there was three people in my year repeating, I'm sure they were over 20 anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,039 ✭✭✭MJ23

Look at some of them in Home and Away. A few of the fellas in it are in their mid twenties.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭OneArt

I never understood people who went back to their secondary school to repeat the Leaving. Fair enough if you're 18/19 repeating sixth year, but anything over that and... Ugh. Are there are not institutions/options to do the Leaving without having to go to a secondary school?

There was a girl in one of my first year college classes who dropped out. She subsequently went back to her secondary school to do the Leaving again!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,340 ✭✭✭deco nate

What's the problem, People trying to better themselves?

And you are moaning about it. Really! They do it to try to get
    A job,or go further up the education chain,=better chance to get a even better paying job. What next, want to start
    A dole thread next?

OneArt wrote: »
    I never understood people who went back to their secondary school to repeat the Leaving. Fair enough if you're 18/19 repeating sixth year, but anything over that and... Ugh. Are there are not institutions/options to do the Leaving without having to go to a secondary school?

There was a girl in one of my first year college classes who dropped out. She subsequently went back to her secondary school to do the Leaving again!

If your school was decent you might as well go back, I'd find it much easier to repeat in my current school than a different one especially the way I know all the staff/teachers etc.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

I'd admire them for it, tbh. It must take a certain amount of courage and ambition to return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

deco nate wrote: »
    What's the problem, People trying to better themselves?

And you are moaning about it. Really!
    Welcome to Ireland, friend! Enjoy your stay. :)

MacBizzle wrote: »
    If you're school was decent you might as well go back, I'd find it much easier to repeat in my current school than a different one especially the way I know all the staff/teachers etc.
    Study the next time! :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,672 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

I know a guy who dropped out of 3rd year business studies (en route to a 1.1) because he wanted to do medicine. Had to go back to sit his leaving and study chemistry for it.

Hmmm... Hey! Wheres Hotale?:mad:

FUCK SAKE SHOPA!!!!!! :mad: :mad:

• Advertisement

Hmmm... Hey! Wheres Hotale?:mad:
    Boardsie heaven. :(;)

Boardsie heaven. :(;)

Jaysus, wouldn't even wait for the results!? Thats cold:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Nib

Ugh? Really? Are you a 12 year old girl?

What an incredibly ignorant post.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

This is like 22 Jump Street all over again.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Uepped

Would these 22 year olds be required to wear full school unifom ?

Uepped wrote: »
    Would these 22 year olds be required to wear full school unifom ?
    Only if they look like Britney Spears.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭whirlpool

I was fully aware that there are people of all ages who sit the leaving cert, but I never really thought that they'd be attending a secondary school to do it. So, if a 60 year old wanted to sit the leaving cert, would they be going to secondary school every day with all the teenagers?

Surely that's where most people's confusion about the issue is coming from, and not from simply the idea of an older person sitting the leaving cert.

Good for her.

She obviously has enough confidence to put her education before petty concerns about what people think about her going back to school to improve her future. She's smart enough to think long term.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Not doing the Leaving Cert but you might see some 22 year olds attending Debs in certain parts of rural Ireland, rolling up in their '97 Toyota Corollas.

• Advertisement

whirlpool wrote: »
    I was fully aware that there are people of all ages who sit the leaving cert, but I never really thought that they'd be attending a secondary school to do it. So, if a 60 year old wanted to sit the leaving cert, would they be going to secondary school every day with all the teenagers?

Surely that's where most people's confusion about the issue is coming from, and not from simply the idea of an older person sitting the leaving cert.

60 year olds would probably go to night classes I expect, since they're likely to have full or part time jobs that secondary school hours wouldn't suit.

I don't think the State is obligated to provide school places for people over a certain age either.

whirlpool wrote: »

There's a big difference between 22 and 60.

Most VECs do night classes for the LC i think, and most of the PLC colleges have a repeats course.

Not doing the Leaving Cert but you might see some 22 year olds attending Debs in certain parts of rural Ireland, rolling up in their '97 Toyota Corollas.

Excuse me we have '99 Passats now.

With tdi and cooooooooo, boy.

Excuse me we have '99 Passats now.

With tdi and cooooooooo, boy.
    Swanky! :D

MacBizzle wrote: »
    If your school was decent you might as well go back, I'd find it much easier to repeat in my current school than a different one especially the way I know all the staff/teachers etc.

I understand that bit, but for someone who has just experienced a year of college life, freedom etc. to going back to school with rules and uniform... The thought personally makes me shudder.

Of course it's their life, I just don't think I'd be able to cope with it. When I finished my Leaving I had nightmares for months that I'd have to go back!

Nib wrote: »
    Ugh? Really? Are you a 12 year old girl?

What an incredibly ignorant post.

Why does everyone think I'm criticising these people?

If it's the best decision for you, it's the best decision for you. I was just expressing that for me, personally, the idea of returning to school (as in an actual school, not redoing the Leaving in Plunkett's or whatever) isn't my cup of tea. What I am saying is that I don't understand the mindset of it. I'm not saying I don't approve of it. I don't understand how people can enjoy watching golf, but I don't think people are idiots for liking it.

You'd swear I'd said all people who go back to do the Leaving should die or something.

• Advertisement

Why does everyone think I'm criticising these people?

This bit sounds pretty critical:
    Fair enough if you're 18/19 repeating sixth year, but anything over that and... Ugh.

So thats probably why.

Candie wrote: »
    This bit sounds pretty critical:

So thats probably why.

I did start off by talking about going to an actual school and explained how I could understand it if you were still that bit younger. I thought I'd explained myself clearly.

I also asked if there were possibilities to do it outside of actually going to a secondary school.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to offend, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough.

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I didn't mean to offend, I guess I didn't make myself clear enough.

You've actually made me die inside, I'll never be the same.

:'(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Just because someone sat the LC past the age of 18 or 19 doesn't mean a thing...I done it in a PLC college so I could go to 3rd level education. This would also be a reason that some parents could get a payment from social welfare if they qualify for it, they would have a child in full time 2nd level education (PLC counts as 2nd level).

It would be almost impossible to see a 22 year old student in a regular school unless they had a disability that made their progression a lot slower. A non-disabled student would be asked to try a PLC option once they are 19 or over.

entropi wrote: »
    Just because someone sat the LC past the age of 18 or 19 doesn't mean a thing...I done it in a PLC college so I could go to 3rd level education. This would also be a reason that some parents could get a payment from social welfare if they qualify for it, they would have a child in full time 2nd level education (PLC counts as 2nd level).

It's a school uniform payment.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

Candie wrote: »
    It's a school uniform payment.
    Reads thread title again...ugh!

I reckon it would be for an aforementioned reason: disabled student/s needing some extra years to finish second level education.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Irishguy16

When I was doing my LC there was a 21 year old guy in our class, and we were all 17 or 18. He had been kept back twice, but he still managed to fail his LC. He used to think that he was better than everyone else because of his age,but in reality Anto was the weakest in the class. Not sure what happened to him after school. We never kept in contact. I think he's in America now

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

On the other side of the coin some of the NQT's in schools are barely 22........

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭chrissb8

I went back to a secondary school kinda environment. There was a year exclusively for repeat students. I was 20 and one of the oldest. I would agree it was tough going I was out of school 2 years at that stage but thankfully I was left mostly to my own devices by the people who ran the year. Really though I found when I went back the ability to pay attention was so easy. How could it not be. Your future depended on it. Infact when I saw other 18/19 year olds dossing I just thought wow, If only they could take some time off and realise what an opportunity the leaving cert is.

The oldest in my year was a 24 year old which to me was a step too far, she left half way through the year. I'm 24 now and if I had to go back in to that environment I would probably go insane. Being in a secondary school isn't just about sitting the leaving it's about the social aspect as well and how well you can fit in to that. I dislike most 18/19 year olds who to me are mostly self centered and are too hung up on what people think and going nuts on drinking. I was once 18/19 not long ago and would say I was like that. Definitely recommend doing the leaving cert else where if your 22.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,456 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

A guy I went to school with repeated a few years in school. When I was in my final year in college he was doing his leaving. He was actually older than the trainee teachers teaching his class.

No illness or exceptional circumstances other than he wasn't very academic. When I was in 6th class he didn't understand how to apply multiplication. He would add the numbers together instead.

He didn't seem particularly stupid when you would talk to him but he just didn't seem to get anything academic and didn't have a great memory.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,055 ✭✭✭✭cena

I knew a lad who repeated and he was 21 when he sat his leaving the second time.

I was 21 when I sat the leaving. Did the leaving cert applied before that. Wonder was it the same school

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Tordelback

Some of the smartest people I knew in third level went back to re-sit the Leaving Cert when they realised that they wanted to do a different course. It's hard to know what you want when you're making subject choices at 15 and CAO forms at 17, and it's commendable that people don't take the easy route and settle for whatever they ended up with the first time.

However, the uniform allowance thing: surely anyone in the above situation is not going to be forced to wear a uniform, even if crcumstances mean they are repeating in a conventional school?

Like many I would assume the 22 limit is a rare example of the state recognising that for a host of reasons not everyone can be 17 or 18 when they are finishing 'regular' school.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

A guy in my 6th year was 20 sitting his LC, he was 21 in early August before the results came out.

He had been kept back in primary school more than once.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

In the college I'm in, theres a repeat LC year group. They have a couple of 30 year olds, and a 67 year old :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

In college, you're classed as a mature student at 23. I'd imagine its part of some categorisation related to that*.
    As in:
    4-22 = Student
    23+ = Mature student.

Students get a uniform allowance, mature students dont.

*pure guess

• Advertisement
Advertisement