Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't bring your work home with you.

• 16-06-2014 11:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

Do you talk about your job much when your at home or socializing? Sick to the teeth of hearing two of my siblings who are in the same sector talking about their job. My girlfriend and her nurse friends can spend hours talking about their jobs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

I'm a full time nazi hunter,OP. Ive got some crazy stories. Buuuut, if you don't want to hear them........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,695 ✭✭✭Lisha

I never talk about work once I'm off the clock .. Life's too short.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Oh look at me with my nurse GF. She gives me bed baths in her uniform.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 24,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    My girlfriend and her nurse friends can spend hours talking about their jobs.

In Coppers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

Gynaecologist who'll have a look for a nixer.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

Once my contract hours are done thats the end of work. Most that happens outside of that is if people ask me what im working on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

I love people who only talk about work. They are the best.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

I'm a full time nazi hunter,OP. Ive got some crazy stories. Buuuut, if you don't want to hear them........

Tell me about all the stuff you did nazi coming! I've got a few hours to burn:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

No. My job is boring and ****.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

If you were one you wouldn't be saying that :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,916 ✭✭✭shopaholic01

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    My girlfriend and her nurse friends can spend hours talking about their jobs.
    You never got with your neighbours wife in the end then?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

I never talk about what I do, unless I meet another geek.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

You never got with your neighbours wife in the end then?

Haha, no.. It never worked out for him either though.. All on his lonesome now!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Zen65

Reminds me a line by the great Rik Mayall in that film 'Guest House Paradiso' (somewhere around 1.35 below).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,052 ✭✭✭Un Croissant

Tell me about all the stuff you did nazi coming! I've got a few hours to burn:D

Jew wouldn't believe it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Tilly wrote: »
    Oh look at me with my nurse GF. She gives me bed baths in her uniform.

Is she hot?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,491 ✭✭✭looking_around

Depends on he job and the people

I fix pc's and will often talk to others about odd issues with the pc's.. or idiotic things people ask us.
    It's more of sharing of information(virus going around etc.) or venting.
    _
    I have a side job that I don't talk much about at all.
    _
    I find women are more likely to talk shop then men. One of the reasons I prefer to hang around the lads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

Depends on the audience.

If I'm with college friends, my parents or my boyfriend then yeah, because 1. they all have an interest in world news and a knowledge about the industry so it's relevant and 2. part of our relationship is being there for each other and listening to each other's shyte.

Most other company though, no. I love being able to switch off and allowing what I do for way too many hours every week become irrelevant.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I talk to my dog about work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

I talk to my dog about work.

In Wales we refer to them as wives.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

For tangential reason your story made me think of Christopher Lee: (TV Tropes here)

During World War II, Lee served with the Royal Air Force and intelligence service, and has mentioned in the past that he also served with Special Operations Executive (otherwise known as The Ministry of Ungentlemanly Warfare). The SOE was set up by Churchill to "set Europe ablaze", and it included - among others - Christopher Lee and Ian Fleming, making it the obvious inspiration for the James Bond series. So there's a good reason that Lee was cast in one of the film versions. After the War, he also became a Nazi Hunter, hunting down War Criminals due to being fluent in both French and German.

During the filming of The Lord of the Rings, he disagreed with Peter Jackson over certain aspects of his character's death scene, insinuating that he knows firsthand the sound a man makes when he's stabbed in the back . Take that as you will.

From Peter Jackson's commentary on the extended edition of Two Towers:
    When I was shooting the stabbing shot with Christopher, as a director would I was explaining to him what he should do"... "And he says, 'Peter, have you ever heard the sound a man makes when he’s stabbed in the back?' And I said, 'Um, no.' And he says 'Well, I have, and I know what to do.' "
    Apparently the original script called for him to scream in pain, and Lee explained how that just wasn't accurate.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭Wompa1

For the past 6 months, I've been working from my apartment. So now I can't escape work, my office is staring at me every moment I'm in the place. So, yes, I talk about work but I don't want to. I CAN'T LEAVE!! I'M NEVER GETTING OUT OF HERE!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,042 ✭✭✭zl1whqvjs75cdy

Depends on he job and the people

_
    I have a side job that I don't talk much about at all.

That doesn't sound seedy or sinister at all, no sir.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,728 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

I don't talk about work when I go home because I'm a grumpy old man, living alone, who nobody would willingly speak to. However, while some people dream in glorious Technicolour and some in black and white, I dream in SAP...

(True story.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Zen65 wrote: »
    Reminds me a line by the great Rik Mayall in that film 'Guest House Paradiso' (somewhere around 1.35 below).

Rik Mayall quotes!

They are so hot right now.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

The gf and her friend's from college are terrible for this. Anytime they meet up it's all about their work, every so often one would apologise to me and say something like "oh god, you must be sick hearing about all this", and then carry on nattering about it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

biko wrote: »
    I never talk about what I do, unless I meet another geek.

We are Hugh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

jimgoose wrote: »
    We are Hugh.

I actually got that! :eek: (not the sharpest pencil in the box :D)

But no, I work from home, well, that's where I'm mainly based, but I keep my office space separate from my living space, precisely so I have that separation between the two. I wouldn't talk about work when I'm out either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Tilly

Is she hot?
    Yup but only cause of the weather.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭Matt_Trakker

You should probably change your job to one you like so. If you liked it you'd talk about it.

Yeah I don't really talk about it outside of work

Not really. I'm talking about my new job a bit because I'm learning loooooads of new stuff and I know people who know all this stuff so they're interested in what I'm learning. If that makes sense.

What melts my brain is people who talk about work at lunch time. Unless it's a hilarious anecdote I don't want to hear it right now. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭daithi7

irish_goat wrote: »
    The gf and her friend's from college are terrible for this. Anytime they meet up it's all about their work, every so often one would apologise to me and say something like "oh god, you must be sick hearing about all this", and then carry on nattering about it!

My wife & her friends are terrible for this, she's working all hours these days & struggles to talk about anything else...

not good. not good for her & not a lot of joy for me.

i cut her slack cos of the hours she is working, but when a group of her buddies gather & just talk about work (&/or babies), that's just ignorant.

I've started marking a few of their cards too, if that's ALL they have to offer....so this should be fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

I don't go out of my way to talk about work, especially as it's in a field that most peoples eyes will glaze over when I mention it. I do work with one of my flatmates though, so it naturally does come up a fair bit there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

I find it next to impossible to leave work at work due to a couple of reasons.

1. My girlfriend works in the same sector and we have similar jobs, with similar concerns.

2. My team are really nice, but my colleagues, situated elsewhere, are swine humping sacks of moldy mucus. Absolute dogs, they cause hell and get away with it. I have discussed this with my manager over the past year and it only changes from time to time. I have set myself a survival goal of 12 months. If I get through that I will be happy.

3. Flexibilty only exists if it involves being flexible for the company. There are times mentioned in our contracts, but our colleagues are the ones who set our times. We work for as long as it takes to get the work done. If that's 1 or 2 am... then tough poo. If you don't do it, it won't end well for you. You will be labelled as "difficult to work with" or "disinterested in the success of the company".

4. Managers only back you up when there's no 3rd party involved. Once another party is involved, they are unable to take the heat and end up bending under pressure... every single time...

Yea, I really hate my job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,150 ✭✭✭✭Malari

I only talk about work with a couple of people who work in the same sector. If I try to explain what I do to anyone else their eyes glaze over within seconds. I think even some of my family and close friends don't really know what I do. Like Chandler. Sigh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Yeah, I can imagine...

Listening to a Gastroenterologist all day, seriously... what an ass!

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I absolutely hate talking about work. Honestly can people not think of a better conversation starter than "how's work?" all the time? Every time I go home it seems this is the default question for people to ask when they haven't seen me in a while. Boring.

When my girlfriend and her mates talk about their work I just completely zone out. Not interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,183 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

You should probably change your job to one you like so. If you liked it you'd talk about it.

I like my job. Always have. The problem is the only people with whom I could talk about it, were I thus inclined, are Martians! :pac::pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,957 ✭✭✭miss no stars

Not really, I actually quite like what I work at now but work stays in work. Better for your health that way. If stuff related to work comes up naturally in conversation I won't refuse to talk about it, but it'd be rare that I bring something up unless it's quite interesting.

My dad, on the other hand, never shuts up about work be it his job, my job, my brother's job... Fcuk. What's more is he really picks his moments, I'll pop my head into the sitting room to say goodnight and he'll suddenly be giving me an in-depth questioning about minutiae that requires a detailed explanation. Jesus. Right before bed. Makes me feel murderous. I've tried telling him not to bring it up when I'm about to go to bed but he sees no issue with talking shop right before bed. I'm the type where if my mind's going that's it - damned if I'm getting to sleep. So I have an evening wind down routine that works lovely and I get off to sleep around 11, unless he meddles with it and I get a grilling about something. Ugh. The gas thing is, he's the exact same but even with 30 years on me, hasn't worked out that talking shop before bed makes your mind too active to sleep. o.O

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

My work is left at the work gate every evening and will only come back into my life at work time the next morning.

Work is work and should be treated as such. The day is short enough without bringing it home with you.

As one lad once said to me, " If you cannot do your days work inside the days work hours then maybe you shouldn't be in that job", and he's not even a boss.:D:D

awec wrote: »
    I absolutely hate talking about work. Honestly can people not think of a better conversation starter than "how's work?" all the time? Every time I go home it seems this is the default question for people to ask when they haven't seen me in a while. Boring.

When my girlfriend and her mates talk about their work I just completely zone out. Not interested.

While my usual answer is "grand yeah" and then I drop it, I can understand the questioning - it is about a third of our lives spent there and can cause an awful lot of stress if things are going badly
    Same answer to people who wonder why others ask them what they do for a living

• Registered Users Posts: 1,303 ✭✭✭daithi7

Not really, I actually quite like what I work at now but work stays in work. Better for your health that way. If stuff related to work comes up naturally in conversation I won't refuse to talk about it, but it'd be rare that I bring something up unless it's quite interesting.

My dad, on the other hand, never shuts up about work be it his job, my job, my brother's job... Fcuk. What's more is he really picks his moments, I'll pop my head into the sitting room to say goodnight and he'll suddenly be giving me an in-depth questioning about minutiae that requires a detailed explanation. Jesus. Right before bed. Makes me feel murderous. I've tried telling him not to bring it up when I'm about to go to bed but he sees no issue with talking shop right before bed. I'm the type where if my mind's going that's it - damned if I'm getting to sleep. So I have an evening wind down routine that works lovely and I get off to sleep around 11, unless he meddles with it and I get a grilling about something. Ugh. The gas thing is, he's the exact same but even with 30 years on me, hasn't worked out that talking shop before bed makes your mind too active to sleep. o.O

chuckle, chuckle, sorry for laughing but I can totally identify with all of that.

I have a mum just like your dad, she brings up 'the work question' right before bed time. And I have an active mind & can't think of work after 11 or I'll be awake for hours!! & yes the gas thing is, she is exactly the same....

must go with the territory I guess! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Drakares

What's wrong with talking about work outside of work? If you have a sh1te job that you don't like then fair enough, but I for one love what I do. I find it extremely interesting and do talk about it at outside of work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Vojera

I pick my wife up from her job on the way home from work. We talk about work on the drive home (about 15 minutes) and that's usually it unless it was a particularly eventful day.

I used to be in a much more interesting job, but it was really stressful and there was no such thing as leaving your work at the door; it was all I used to think about because I was always under so much pressure. Now I'm in a "boring" job that I actually love (surprisingly) and once it hits 5pm I get to go home and be happy. In the nine months since I started the "boring" job, I can honestly say that my mental health has been boosted tenfold.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,105 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I only talk about it when asked, but I do try to make it sound exciting then, blackhawk helicopter this, obama that :pac:
    Apart from that no, no interest.

• Administrators Posts: 54,184 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Drakares wrote: »
    What's wrong with talking about work outside of work? If you have a sh1te job that you don't like then fair enough, but I for one love what I do. I find it extremely interesting and do talk about it at outside of work.

I love what I do to - doesn't mean I want to talk about it all the time. Nor do I presume that those people I am talking to particularly care to talk about it.

It's just a bit boring. Some people are worse than others - for some people it seems their entire life revolves around work and they can talk about nothing else. These people are not interesting people to spend time with.

You have to maintain a work life balance IMO. If work starts creeping in to the life bit of that then there's a problem. When I leave on a Friday that's me switched off until Monday.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Well I work in research and I love science so it's hard not to talk about work.

steddyeddy wrote: »
    Well I work in research and I love science so it's hard not to talk about work.

I work in a different field of research. I'll talk my head off about it with people in the same field, but otherwise I don't because what I find stunningly interesting other people would probably find stultifyingly boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 980 ✭✭✭barney 20v

I am actually not allowed to speak about my work outside work!
    My contract is very tight on protection of info etc

• Advertisement
Advertisement