Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Don't bring your work home with you.

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

WhiteWalls wrote: »
    . My girlfriend and her nurse friends can spend hours talking about blow jobs.

That's how I read it - they're all in uniform too! Well except the naked ones:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

If I'm out with friends from work it will inevitably come up in conversation and we'll slag off each other/managers.

End of the day it's only a bit of banter and nothing too serious. Wouldn't be having a full blown official-esque meeting while out

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Candie wrote: »
    I work in a different field of research. I'll talk my head off about it with people in the same field, but otherwise I don't because what I find stunningly interesting other people would probably find stultifyingly boring.

I can't get my head around that Candie. Everyone should find it interesting (it's not me it's them :pac:). For instance carbonic anhydrase is an enzyme which converts carbon dioxide in the blood to bicarbonate thereby controlling the PH of the blood. The reaction normally happens relatively slow but the enzyme converts 1 million molecules a second :O.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭WhiteWalls

steddyeddy wrote: »
    I can't get my head around that Candie. Everyone should find it interesting (it's not me it's them :pac:). For instance carbonic anhydrase is an enzyme which converts carbon dioxide in the blood to bicarbonate thereby controlling the PH of the blood. The reaction normally happens relatively slow but the enzyme converts 1 million molecules a second :O.

I couldn't have put it any better myself

They should but they ju....zzzz...zzzz...zzzz...zzzz

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

As chat-up lines go eddy, that's a bit of a mouthful! :D

I love the work I do though between my IT work and my voluntary work, but the reason I don't talk about my work is because IT bores most people to tears, and my voluntary work involves people in difficult circumstances, not exactly topics for light-hearted conversation!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,802 ✭✭✭beks101

In all seriousness, this kind of sh1t I love to hear about. I love learning about what other people do for a living because 9 times out of 10 it's totally unrelatable to what I do and a world of which I have little knowledge or experience.

Don't really get when people say that those who talk about their jobs all the time are boring. Why? What if they have a really damn interesting/important job? What if they work for the CIA? Or are a presidential speech writer? Or a neurosurgeon? Or an aircraft test pilot? Or a panda nanny? I'm always utterly enthralled to be in the company of anyone with an interesting job and love hearing all the associated on-the-job stories.

My boyfriend's an engineer who builds life-saving medical equipment for large hospitals and on one of our first dates we spent 20 minutes watching a machine-simulation video where I got to see exactly what he does and exactly how highly skilled and technical he has to be every day at work. It was fascinating stuff and gave me an insight into his completely left-brained mindset and even at that stage, gave me a better understanding of him.

I love people who love what they do. I love people who rave about it and are just so thirsty for you to understand - it's always a learning opportunity and a bit of insight into who they are and how their minds work. Tbh I'd find the people who don't really give a sh1t and find zero mental stimulation or interest or motivation in what they spend most of their lives doing a lot more boring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,518 ✭✭✭Naked Lepper

try to keep it an absolute minimum around friends as it can be painfully boring to hear someone harp on about work for too long. my jobs not that interesting that people want to hear the details of it really so i keep that in mind and everyone's a winner. i probably think about work a bit too much though but i keep it to myself heh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,076 ✭✭✭✭Czarcasm

beks101 wrote: »
    Don't really get when people say that those who talk about their jobs all the time are boring. Why? What if they have a really damn interesting/important job? What if they work for the CIA? Or are a presidential speech writer? Or a neurosurgeon? Or an aircraft test pilot? Or a panda nanny? I'm always utterly enthralled to be in the company of anyone with an interesting job and love hearing all the associated on-the-job stories.

Tbh I'd find the people who don't really give a sh1t and find zero mental stimulation or interest or motivation in what they spend most of their lives doing a lot more boring.

I guess I can only speak for myself here really but when I meet new people, I'm not particularly interested in what they do for a living. I'm more interested in them as a person. I know what you mean about getting a better insight into a person or a better understanding of what motivates them, but if you were to take for example a gynecologist... I'm sure her work is fascinating, but I'd rather we talk about something else over dinner!

I was talking to a guy the other day who's unemployed right now, but yet here he was telling me about himself and his mates they recorded a charity single a few years back when the war in Bosnia was in the news, telling me about how he and his brother were driving a jeep down Sniper Alley throwing tins of beans out the windows, and how they organized aid convoys and all this mad shìt, and to see him light up like that when he talked about himself, that's more interesting to me than, y'know, mapping the human genome or whatever.

I guess I'm more of a people person than what they actually do or don't do for a living, in much the same way as when I'm off the clock, the last thing I want to be thinking about is shop talk. I'm also not gone on talking about economics, politics, etc. It's not that I can't talk about them, it's just that I don't find such subjects very interesting.

(Don't even get me started on sports! :()

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,347 ✭✭✭LynnGrace

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I guess I can only speak for myself here really but when I meet new people, I'm not particularly interested in what they do for a living. I'm more interested in them as a person. I know what you mean about getting a better insight into a person or a better understanding of what motivates them, but if you were to take for example a gynecologist... I'm sure her work is fascinating, but I'd rather we talk about something else over dinner!

I was talking to a guy the other day who's unemployed right now, but yet here he was telling me about himself and his mates they recorded a charity single a few years back when the war in Bosnia was in the news, telling me about how he and his brother were driving a jeep down Sniper Alley throwing tins of beans out the windows, and how they organized aid convoys and all this mad shìt, and to see him light up like that when he talked about himself, that's more interesting to me than, y'know, mapping the human genome or whatever.

I guess I'm more of a people person than what they actually do or don't do for a living, in much the same way as when I'm off the clock, the last thing I want to be thinking about is shop talk. I'm also not gone on talking about economics, politics, etc. It's not that I can't talk about them, it's just that I don't find such subjects very interesting.

(Don't even get me started on sports! :()

I'm much the same, like what I do, but outside of work, and with friends am happy to talk about other things. Meeting new people, I am interested in chatting, about everything and anything, but certainly wont ask 'what do you do'.
    I think some people use it as a measure of almost rating someone in their head, 'oh you have an 'important' job, must rate you'. I've pulled someone up on this question, on occasion, when I've heard them ask about someone 'what do they do'...when it has no relevance to the conversation.

I know someone who has no other topic of conversation apart from work, it's hard going, tbh. This person has no interest in what other people have to say, and drags the topic back, if anyone manages to change the subject, drone, drone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭Gone Drinking

Only one of my good friends works in the IT sector, we don't usually talk about work but on the rare occasion that we do our mates are like this..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

As a commerce lad who studied with 3 engineers in Galway, It was funny to see how impassioned they were about science/tech whereas all my commerce friends were as indifferent to their courses as arts students. I would sit up all night chatting with the enginners

It can summarised by
    "Doing it because it'll be alright/good.... I hope"

There's a world of difference between the passion of science students/ engineers and everybody else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,263 ✭✭✭Gongoozler

Is bringing your work home with you not literally about bringing it home? :confused:

I talk about it with my boyfriend. Well more talk at him about it. But lots of the cases are interesting and so some of the time he likes to hear about it. I tell him about the gorey pictures I see and things i read and all the silly things people think we should care about.

I like hearing about his work too. I feel like it's another part of him i know. If you don't ever hear about something at work they liked hated or just things that happened (that they had an opinion on) you're missing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Czarcasm wrote: »
    I actually got that! :eek: (not the sharpest pencil in the box :D)

But no, I work from home, well, that's where I'm mainly based, but I keep my office space separate from my living space, precisely so I have that separation between the two. I wouldn't talk about work when I'm out either.

What is it when there are no... Others?? Best I ever saw was a mate a' mine who retired as a consultant gyneacologist and got into motorbikes. When I called over and saw him doing the valve-clearances through the exhaust on an old Kawasaki I said "You have snatched the pebble. Time for you to leave." :)

Advertisement