Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox Live and NAT problems

• 17-06-2014 12:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭

Hi, I've had an Xbox 360 for almost 3 years and had it connected to my Eircom router all that time with out a single issue. Recently my router started to pack it in when I started to randomly get logged out of Xbox Live. (The Eircom technician did a test on my line and found it was the router). He replaced it immediately with a different Eircom router. I went from a silver Netopia router to a black D1000.

However, now I notice that my Xbox network test shows up a NAT error and that it is moderate. Eircom have a video to try and solve the problem which involves lowering your router Firewall. However, for me that has not solved the problem.

I have also noticed it takes a little longer to get into the menu on start up.
    Further to that, I notice that on occasion the Xbox does not automatically sign into Xbox Live on start up and when I attempt to sign in I get an error. The only way around this is doing a Network test and when I exit that, Live has finally signed in. Also, sometimes when using Netflix on the Xbox I just get randomly signed out of Live, although that has been quite rare since the new router was installed. Has anybody any feedback to offer on these new problems which have appeared for me since I began to have router issues? Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NotTheMessiah

Sounds like you might need to open ports on the eircom router. Xbox live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)

I cant post links but google "xbox 360 port forwarding " 1st result and also have a look at portforward.com

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

Sounds like you might need to open ports on the eircom router. Xbox live requires the following ports to be open:

Port 88 (UDP)
    Port 3074 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 53 (UDP and TCP)
    Port 80 (TCP)

I cant post links but google "xbox 360 port forwarding " 1st result and also have a look at portforward.com

Thank you for your response NotTheMessiah. I will look into how to do this soon. Do you know if NAT errors are responsible for an Xbox sometimes not automatically connecting to Live also or does this sound like a separate issue? I did read somewhere that NAT should not effect anything else other than correspondence with other online gamers.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 NotTheMessiah

door wrote: »
    Thank you for your response NotTheMessiah. I will look into how to do this soon. Do you know if NAT errors are responsible for an Xbox sometimes not automatically connecting to Live also or does this sound like a separate issue? I did read somewhere that NAT should not effect anything else other than correspondence with other online gamers.

Yeah is my understanding that NAT will just effect connecting peer to peer. So you could have another problem connecting to Xbox live.

You could open them ports and if you still have the issue you could look at it deeper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Get back onto eircom. When i moved to my current ISP i was getting NAT 3 on my PS3. I rang them and in 2 minutes they had the NAT back to the correct NAT2. Something to do on their end.

Worth giving Eircom a shout anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭door

hallo dare wrote: »
    Get back onto eircom. When i moved to my current ISP i was getting NAT 3 on my PS3. I rang them and in 2 minutes they had the NAT back to the correct NAT2. Something to do on their end.

Worth giving Eircom a shout anyway.

Hi Hallo Dare, how do you check which NAT you are getting?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭hallo dare

Dono how you do it on Xbox, but on the PS3 it was in the Network test section. It would show you your speeds and what NAT you were getting.

Advertisement