Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Unsolicited Advertising Flyers & Leaflets

• 17-06-2014 8:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

If one more of those comes through my letterbox which says No Junk Mail, I'm going to start a counter campaign against that business, leaving bad reviews on their Google Plus page, Tripadvisor etc....who's with me...

I don't know about you but I can't afford to be throwing out a ton of unwanted paper...I'm was thinking of waiting until someone puts one through and catching them on the spot.

If you are a leaflet distributer, you probably can't read this but let me teach you some crappy English...

No Junk Mail = Don't put leaflets through the ****ing door.

I'm going to read citizens information to see if I can do anything that doesn't involve freaking out some low-paid immigrant worker or spreading lies.

It's early in the morning and I'm grumpy as **** because of it.

Anyone else have to deal with this crap?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

Mensch, have a snickers.........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Isn't it great you seem to only have little minuscule problems to be complaining about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,819 ✭✭✭howamidifferent

Piss on their hand....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭catallus

Are An Post not paid to deliver these?

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Balmed Out wrote: »
    Isn't it great you seem to only have little minuscule problems to be complaining about?

Isn't it great how you jumped to that conclusion. I'm not one to go sharing all my problems on the internet, maybe that's your kind of thing but because most of us have letterboxes, I'd thought I'd share this one. Now run along, son. And be careful who you say those things to. You've no idea what I've been through and current problems I have.

@catallus: I'm not sure actually. You might be right. I got one through the door all torn and ripped. Then I saw three of them on the ground outside. It's not nice. Pretty sure there's independent distributers as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭oldon

Release the dogs..........

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

I don't know about you but I can't afford to be throwing out a ton of unwanted paper

Isn't if free to recycle ? Anyway, very rarely do these companies deliver the leaflets themselves, it's a bunch of lads who couldn't care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,721 ✭✭✭Balmed Out

Isn't it great how you jumped to that conclusion. I'm not one to go sharing all my problems on the internet, maybe that's your kind of thing but because most of us have letterboxes, I'd thought I'd share this one. Now run along, son. And be careful who you say those things to. You've no idea what I've been through and current problems I have.

@catallus: I'm not sure actually. You might be right. I got one through the door all torn and ripped. Then I saw three of them on the ground outside. It's not nice. Pretty sure there's independent distributers as well.

Thence the word seem.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Saucy McKetchup

I have one of those "no junk mail" stickers on my letterbox, I never get junk mail, maybe your postman is just a dîck

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

If one more of those comes through my letterbox which says No Junk Mail, I'm going to start a counter campaign against that business, leaving bad reviews on their Google Plus page, Tripadvisor etc....who's with me...

Might have to pass on that. Think I'll just continue to do what I have always done, and put them in the bin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 420 ✭✭tomtucker81

Ah, I love the way im seeing an ad for a leaflet distribution company flash on this thread on my phone!!

Anyway, this annoys me big time. Piles of paper/rubbish come through the letterbox. I put up a no junk mail sticker on the letterbox and I have to say the amounts received has greatly decreased.

I dont suppose that by having the no junk mail sign up you are revoking your presumed permission to someone to come into your driveway to deliver same? And as such, with this sign clearly displayed, is the leaflet deliverer now trespassing as he has no business to approach your door?!! But then again, who's gonna enforce that if it was the case. You can hardly call the guards for a rogue leaflet delivery

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

Junk mail delivers stopped coming to my estate at the beginning of the year, had nothing since :cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

You could always pick them up and place them in your recycling bin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭2 stroke

I love getting freepost envelopes. Attach a brick, or any unwanted item, or stuff the envelope with unwanted junk mail and drop it into the post office.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 914 ✭✭✭Dramatik

Is the "no junk mail" sign visible? You want that **** in big bold letters on the front of the post box

That's always so unsightly!

I'd prefer the mail to be honest!

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Mensch Maschine

Ok, I'm much calmer now, lol.

Thanks for the responses.

To answer some of your questions/comments:

Yes, there's a No Junk Mail sign on my letterbox. It's on the part that you need to push in to put mail in, so I don't think there's an excuse for that for not seeing it.

As for just putting in in my recycle bin. That's all well and good but I shouldn't have to do that. I didn't ask for this and it costs me money as I use a service that's per bag. It's time and money consuming.

@tomtucker: Yeah, I'm getting that ad too. The irony. Anyway, glad someone agrees. It happened in my old place too. We had a sign up and still, you'd get some ugly ****er politician staring up at you from the ground. You'd be surprised how much crap comes through in a week.

@2 stroke: I like your thinking. I might just do that. :D

Anyone know if the sign actually means anything when it comes to my rights?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Isn't if free to recycle ? Anyway, very rarely do these companies deliver the leaflets themselves, it's a bunch of lads who couldn't care.

Nothing is free.

Better solution might be to not produce the leaflet in full colour glossy paper that I've asked not to be put in my house than have to go through the chemical-filled process of recycling that full colour glossy paper.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

Anyone know if the sign actually means anything when it comes to my rights?

Nothing whatsoever. We put a similar sign and it stops about 75% of what we used to get. That's fine because some of these guys delivering leaflets don't care, they just have to get rid of them - so we recycle them and don't use any of the businesses etc that ignore the sign.

The worst are the clothing bag fu<kers who drop their bloody bags off at 4 a.m. - plus fail to tell you that they're actually selling the clothes they collect.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

cloud493 wrote: »
    Junk mail delivers stopped coming to my estate at the beginning of the year, had nothing since :cool:
    Why?

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 499 ✭✭greenflash

Best source of roach material known to mankind.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Marketing companies are paid to produce them, printing companies are paid to print them and then somebody is paid to deliver them. My part in this is very easy - just glance at the leaflet and then put it in the recycle bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,102 ✭✭✭mathie

Marketing companies are paid to produce them, printing companies are paid to print them and then somebody is paid to deliver them. My part in this is very easy - just glance at the leaflet and then put it in the recycle bin.

You should go around burning down houses so.
    You'll create tons of jobs for the fire brigade, builders, decoraters ...

mathie wrote: »
    You should go around burning down houses so.
    You'll create tons of jobs for the fire brigade, builders, decoraters ...

Yeah. Same thing.

Maybe instead of "No Junk Mail" the sticker should read "Beware of Drama Llama"?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭RoboRat

The worst are the clothing bag fu<kers who drop their bloody bags off at 4 a.m. - plus fail to tell you that they're actually selling the clothes they collect.

They guys who give you the free bin bags?

• Site Banned Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Shiraz 4.99

I used deliver free newspapers & flyers door to door.
    My job was to get rid of the material as quickly as I could.
    The No Junk Mail stickers never stopped me, I posted there too.
    If the occupant came out & took me up I used pretend I was Polish & couldn't understand until they got frustrated & gave up complaining.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,780 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I hate those geebags. And down my way, they only throw a fúcking sticker in. At least you have a free binbag off the wánkers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

You could always pick them up and place them in your recycling bin
    Yes, and if someone dumps an old fridge in my driveway I could always bring it to the dump. In both cases the person knowingly littering my house is a fucking cunt
    ThisRegard wrote: »
    Isn't if free to recycle ?
    No, in my area you have to pay for a green bin if you have no other bins. I am with panda where they include the price with my other services and call it "free", but its no more free than online shops or takeaways with "free delivery". Simple rule, if you have to hand over money at any point to get a service then it is NOT FREE.
    If the occupant came out & took me up I used pretend I was Polish & couldn't understand until they got frustrated & gave up complaining.
    Maybe they thought you were a bit retarded. I can't speak polish but if every third house had a sign up I think I could figure out what it was.
    2 stroke wrote: »
    I love getting freepost envelopes. Attach a brick, or any unwanted item, or stuff the envelope with unwanted junk mail and drop it into the post office.
    Have you actually done this? do they not question it? I was wanting to know about dumping rubbish in politicians homes, not going via an post, just arriving up and dumping bags of grass at their front door with a pizza menu attached, its just processed garden waste, like what they dump into my house. I wanted to know the limitations of what you can dump in peoples houses.

• Advertisement

I sense a deep anger in you..... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

I hate them too.

Here you go. Remove yourself from the direct mail lists - http://idma.ie/what-is-mps/

That will only stop the addressed stuff though... The lad delivering your local pizza shop flyers probably doesn't give a ****e.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

As a matter of interest, those signs are just for your own preference, "no junk mail". There is no legal precedence or obligation on someone NOT to put it through your letterbox, right?

Granted I got a bit annoyed during the election, young lads putting them in my letterbox, candidates having no interest knocking on doors. But in fairness, it took me two seconds to put them in the green bin.

Personally appreciate getting the local takeaways giving me their menus, and the supermarkets giving me in their deals of the week stuff.

The stuff on classes and fitness ****e is no interest to me, but have passed them onto people who were interested and used them.

I'm also not buying people saying their disposal is not free. Are you somehow implying that you signed up for green bin services just for these leaflets? Don't be daft. Like everyone else you get great use from your green and brown bin, cutting down on the cost of your black bin usage. Throwing this in the green bin costs you nothing, so dont be so daft.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

TheDoc wrote: »
    it took me two seconds to put them in the green bin.
    Its the principle that matters. What if they dumped an old fridge that said vote labour, not sure if they could legally do this.

The other principle with electoral pamphlets is that the government pays for 1 leaflet to be delivered to each household via an post. So if they sent more than 1 why? The government usually just send out 1 copy of official notices, so when these intrusive ***** get into office why do they not change that practice and send out 5-10 letters, seeing as they obviously think you need it.

Some take offense at the term "junk", and some canvassing pricks in other forums said they ignore "no junkmail" signs but honour "no unaddressed mail" signs.,

Advertisement