Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Translation for 'broken English'

• 17-06-2014 8:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

I'm seeking a French equivalent of 'broken English'. I'm trying to convey how we tend to talk garbled English to foreigners: slowly, loudly and in broken English.
    Not quite pidgin. And 'mauvais Anglais' or 'Anglais maladroit' dont quite do it.
    Merci.
    D

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

The verb baragouiner (je baragouine en anglais) has that idea of speaking a language in a rather limited or pidgin way. It would express how you truly speak the language though, imo. Maybe a more expert French speaker could clarify.

Maybe je parle dans un anglais moins courant pour que les étrangers me comprennent. 'Moins courant' means less fluently, with possibly the idea that it's not commonplace English.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Thank you playedalive. I've settled on 'un Anglais simplifié' for now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 750 ✭✭✭playedalive

Thank you playedalive. I've settled on 'un Francais simplifié' for now.

Yeah that actually makes more sense. Don't mind me, I was just showing off the randomness I learned in my French degree. :p

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭EhBenDisDonc

Don't mind me, I was just showing off the randomness I learned in my French degree. :p
    It was a good effort - my French mother in law said as much when I ran it by her :-)

Advertisement