Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda outside Dunshaughlin

Options
  • 17-06-2014 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭

Did anyone happen to see the Garda outside Dunshaughlin very early this morning - just before the M3 bridge as you enter the village from the Navan side. Any idea what type of camera this was - the one that takes photos or not?! I think I could have been slightly over the 80km limit but I'm not sure - dont know if I would have been stopped on the stop or whether I might get something in the post as I didn't note what type of camera it was!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

If you get a letter with a picture in the post with a fine then it was a van with a camera

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭adelcrowsmel

Vego wrote: »
    If you get a letter with a picture in the post with a fine then it was a van with a camera

Not necessarily - as I said I'm not sure I was over the speed. Really just wondering what's the different in appearance of the two types of systems if there is any visible difference at all....it might have been the camera one and I wasn't over the limit and hence won't get anything in the post!

• Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

If it was a handheld camera you'll be alright as they don't record

If it was tripod mounted though you may be in trouble as those do but it also depends on how far you were over. Most speedos over-read so 85-90 km/h may in reality be between 78-85.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭JMSE

I'm on the road all week and if those tripods are recording, I'm charmed. Never had any issue with one. Generally if they see you are shifting it, or are just another fish ready to be hooked, they will stop you and take your details. In fact thats not a general statement, in my case its categorical!!!! No stop, no worries.

JMSE wrote: »
    I'm on the road all week and if those tripods are recording, I'm charmed. Never had any issue with one. Generally if they see you are shifting it, or are just another fish ready to be hooked, they will stop you and take your details. In fact thats not a general statement, in my case its categorical!!!! No stop, no worries.

Thats good to know and I'm really hoping that you are right and if I wasn't stopped then I'm ok - because if I was over I really think I would have been barely over it and it would really annoy me as I am generally very good with keeping a check on my speed...here's hoping but if not its not the end of the world either...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,839 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

JMSE wrote: »

That's only true IF it's a hand-held speed gun. The tripod mounted ones record so they don't have to pull you in.

Also note that they have up to 6 months to issue the fine/points notice.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,343 ✭✭✭bladespin

Worth pointing out that in many cases the gardai are using hand held or tripod mounted lasers, not cameras as suggested, their cameras tend to be in the back (and on occasion front) of parked vehicles, I saw the van in question (I think!) - close to the roundabout on the Navan side, white with garda markings on the side, this is a camera van (the one I saw anyway)
    Also worth nothing that the gardai tend to use digression when a driver/rider is close to the limit - I'm not suggesting that's always the case but in 20 years on the road I've yet to see anyone being 'pulled' when only slightly over.

bladespin wrote: »
    Worth pointing out that in many cases the gardai are using hand held or tripod mounted lasers, not cameras as suggested, their cameras tend to be in the back (and on occasion front) of parked vehicles, I saw the van in question (I think!) - close to the roundabout on the Navan side, white with garda markings on the side, this is a camera van (the one I saw anyway)
    Also worth nothing that the gardai tend to use digression when a driver/rider is close to the limit - I'm not suggesting that's always the case but in 20 years on the road I've yet to see anyone being 'pulled' when only slightly over.

I think it was just a garda car and not a van that I saw that morning, they were parked where there is a new red brick entrance wall into a house built in recent years and also there's an entrance to a field/farm..its just before you go under the M3 bridge and into the roundabout on the Navan side of Dunshaughlin (https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.53035,-6.558021,3a,75y,104.43h,81.11t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sNBL1Goi02F-KFXYDBk_Wgg!2e0) - but I could stand corrected...I got that much of a land that they were out at that time of the morning that you could tell me there were ten vans there and I couldn't 100% disagree as I'm not sure. To be hoest when I saw the high visible jacket and a tripod my first though was "what is anyone doing out surveying at this time of the morning":o:o...took a couple of seconds to click that it was a garda with a tripod...kinda funny now thinking of it!!

Advertisement