Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My return to fitness

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,290 ✭✭✭Oregano_State

No that's not me, his is still going but he's back in Ireland now.

Here's my one: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056748777&page=9

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Thank you for that link. I read some of it,its a really long log.hopefully mine will be that long someday. I'll get through the rest of it in time. Its hard to find the sprinting ones in that forum as there's so much 5/10km and marathons logs there so thanks for linking yours. Hopefully we'll both make our targets.

Got bored so decided to do a core session /arms

French curls 2x8 4kg
    Tricep kickback 2x5 4kg

2 sets
    Inchworm(walk oh as far as I can ) and hold for about 10 seconds.
    Lying hollow body position hold for about 15 seconds

2 sets
    10 seated tucks
    10 leg raises
    8 reps on second set

3 planks 30 seconds

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Thank you for that link. I read some of it,its a really long log.hopefully mine will be that long someday. I'll get through the rest of it in time. Its hard to find the sprinting ones in that forum as there's so much 5/10km and marathons logs there so thanks for linking yours. Hopefully we'll both make our targets.

There's very few sprinting logs alright. There's OS's, which he already linked with.

Then there's Chivito

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056139789

He's the guy that was in Australia. He's mainly a 400m runner as well, so his log would be helpful. He also does 100s, 200s and 800s sometimes, a well as giving the decathlon a go. He set a big PB thathe's been chasing for a while at the Nationals just gone.

Maurice Greene. (previously RandyMann) is a 100/200m runner. His log is here.

I train for the 100/200 and Long Jump (self coaching for this one). I only took it up just over a year ago but I've had a fairly disastrous 8 months with health issues and injuries, and am currently out until around September

My log's here

That's it really for the most part with regards to out and out sprinting logs.

pconn062 does 800s, so that might be of interest also:

Do you train with a club much (you mentioned Galway Harriers), out of curiosity? A lot of your training seems to be alone and, especially for sprinting, it's much easier and optimal to be training in a group, or even just a training partner around your ability.

In my group there's 2 or 3 of us around the same speed so we're always pushing each other to finish each rep first, which just leads to further improvement.

I train with the juvenile section of the galway harriers club but as I'm not competing in all Ireland's this year the season is over and I'm in the off season right now that's why I'm training so much on my own. Once September arrives and I'm in nuig I'm planning on joining a running group there. Although I have to admit that I much prefer training alone.

Thanks for all those links,I wasn't able to find any of those when I went looking in the running logs area

• Advertisement

I train with the juvenile section of the galway harriers club but as I'm not competing in all Ireland's this year the season is over and I'm in the off season right now that's why I'm training so much on my own. Once September arrives and I'm in nuig I'm planning on joining a running group there. Although I have to admit that I much prefer training alone.

Thanks for all those links,I wasn't able to find any of those when I went looking in the running logs area

No bother. Always good to see more sprinting logs :).

On the weights, are you following a set program or anything? And does the weight include the bar (just wondering with the 21kg front squat as most bars are 20kg so .5kg on each side)?

I'm kinda making my own program but they come from bits and pieces of other program. Yes the weight includes the bar. I train at home and the bar my dad uses is 5kg and i use that.

I'm kinda making my own program but they come from bits and pieces of other program. Yes the weight includes the bar. I train at home and the bar my dad uses is 5kg and i use that.

Ah cool.

I'd say just keep it simple for now to be honest. You're at the age and level in weightlifting where gains will come easy.

Just think of the exercises that will give you most bang for your buck. You're an athlete rather than a bodybuilder so train for strength and power.

I'd say just make sure you do the basic compound movements, so squat and deadlift for lower body, and vertical pull (pullups) and push(shoulder press) and horizontal pull (rows) and push (bench press) for upper body. Then throw in power stuff like cleans (although getting the technique right may be difficult and need coaching) or some static jumps, hamstring work and single leg stuff, which is important for sprinting. From reading back over your log, getting the bar up for squats is a bit of a limiting factor so maybe single leg squats might be an option for a while.

Build your program around those, making sure you hit each of those movements every week, and do low reps (say sets of 5 initially) for the big exercises and higher reps then for accessory stuff, and throw in some vanity stuff like bis and tris at the end, and you're flying. Just aim to lift more weight on each exercise than you did previously, no need to overcomplicate it.

As long as you eat right you'll get a bit bigger as well as getting stronger.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    Ah cool.

I'd say just keep it simple for now to be honest. You're at the age and level in weightlifting where gains will come easy.

Just think of the exercises that will give you most bang for your buck. You're an athlete rather than a bodybuilder so train for strength and power.

I'd say just make sure you do the basic compound movements, so squat and deadlift for lower body, and vertical pull (pullups) and push(shoulder press) and horizontal pull (rows) and push (bench press) for upper body. Then throw in power stuff like cleans (although getting the technique right may be difficult and need coaching) or some static jumps, hamstring work and single leg stuff, which is important for sprinting. From reading back over your log, getting the bar up for squats is a bit of a limiting factor so maybe single leg squats might be an option for a while.

Build your program around those, making sure you hit each of those movements every week, and do low reps (say sets of 5 initially) for the big exercises and higher reps then for accessory stuff, and throw in some vanity stuff like bis and tris at the end, and you're flying. Just aim to lift more weight on each exercise than you did previously, no need to overcomplicate it.

As long as you eat right you'll get a bit bigger as well as getting stronger.

Ya I'm trying to stick to a few major lifts and that's it for the weights. I learned how to do the power cleans so as I could also clean the bar into position for front squats so I'm now able to squat a bit more than previously. I got a really good tutorial for those and I'm learning them ,don't have access to coaches.
    And I think I'm getting all those things you've mentioned. .but I'm also trying to build a rock solid core. My long term goals are a bit away from sprinting so that's why I have things like ring training in there. But they're helping me build coordination,stabilisation and a strong core which has greatly improved my running in terms of technique and posture

Ya I'm trying to stick to a few major lifts and that's it for the weights. I learned how to do the power cleans so as I could also clean the bar into position for front squats so I'm now able to squat a bit more than previously. I got a really good tutorial for those and I'm learning them ,don't have access to coaches.
    And I think I'm getting all those things you've mentioned. .but I'm also trying to build a rock solid core. My long term goals are a bit away from sprinting so that's why I have things like ring training in there. But they're helping me build coordination,stabilisation and a strong core which has greatly improved my running in terms of technique and posture

No harm having goals outside of sprinting either:). You need to have other things as well (keeps you sane for one!). I've had others as well, although mine were around out and out strength, and I've achieved 2 of the 3 (deadlift 200kg, achieved last summer, since lifted 210kg, squat 2xBW (170kg @ 82kg a few months ago. The only one I've left is to bench 120 (have lifted 112.5kg, but I've always found lower strength easier to gain)).

I put a bit more emphasis on these previously, and my sprinting suffered a bit in the short term, although long term the extra strength helps, so now my aims are mainly athletic orientated.

• Advertisement

Deano7788 wrote: »
    No harm having goals outside of sprinting either:). You need to have other things as well (keeps you sane for one!). I've had others as well, although mine were around out and out strength, and I've achieved 2 of the 3 (deadlift 200kg, achieved last summer, since lifted 210kg, squat 2xBW (170kg @ 82kg a few months ago. The only one I've left is to bench 120 (have lifted 112.5kg, but I've always found lower strength easier to gain)).

I put a bit more emphasis on these previously, and my sprinting suffered a bit in the short term, although long term the extra strength helps, so now my aims are mainly athletic orientated.

My goals are to build a rock solid core and get really good at the gymnastics style exercises. I don't like bench though which is why I'm not doing it. Dads bench at home is crappy and wobbly and the rack pieces are too close together and I train alone very often so I find its just too dangerous. And my dad won't let me lift above 20kg for some reason so I have to do my weight training alone so I can't have a spot

My goals are to build a rock solid core and get really good at the gymnastics style exercises. I don't like bench though which is why I'm not doing it. Dads bench at home is crappy and wobbly and the rack pieces are too close together and I train alone very often so I find its just too dangerous. And my dad won't let me lift above 20kg for some reason so I have to do my weight training alone so I can't have a spot

As long as you're doing horizontal pressing of some kind it's grand. You're doing dips, db bench press and ring push ups so you've got it covered. It helps to prevent muscle imbalances It doesn't have to be conventional style bench.

Cycle 18.2 km

Did it in roughly an hour maybe an hour and five minutes.

That doesn't include 3 water breaks(no more than 2 minutes each)
    And a stop at the bike shop along the way to book in the bike,the gears seriously need to be looked at.

The way out (9km) was faster ,on the second chain gear thing for most of it and spinning on the downhills.
    The way back involved more coasting and a lower speed

So this is a sprinting log and I love sprinting but every time I hop onto the bike I fall in love with cycling just a little bit more.
    I downloaded strava on to my phone to track it accurately this time.
    Was very handy as I could tell how far I'd gone and could judge when to turn back better and my speed.

So moving time of 33 minutes 40 seconds.
    Distance of 12.3km
    Average speed 21.9(highest 37.8km/h)
    Elevation gain 64m(highest 148)

Was only a short one to put some stuff into practice . worked on keeping a constant cadence and to keep my rpm higher. And practice my climbs of which there were many.
    The way back was beautiful with the big downhills where I really picked up speed.
    Could have kept going way longer if I wanted to.

Bile was brought in for servicing on the hears today so I couldn't go on the planned cycle ,I also couldn't get to the park to do my ring session without my bike. It just takes too long. So I improvised and did an additional weights session.

Power cleans 5 sets total
    5x25kg
    5x29kg
    5x31kg
    5x33kg
    5x35kg
    Recorded the 35kg ones so as to see my form. Am too far over the bar at setup,bacvk is a bit rounded,and I'm starting to high.

Deadlift 3 sets total
    8x35kg
    8x37kg
    8x39kg
    Probably could have done 41kg but didn't feel like trying today as I have to do these again on Wednesday and lower back was really tired.

Military press 3 sets total
    8x23kg
    8x25kg
    8x27kg
    Didn't want to go for 29kg as last rep of 27 was agony. Will try next time. They weren't supposed to be this heavy ,I had forgotten to count the weight of the bar and didn't realise my mistake till after the third set when I was wondering why lifting it was so hard

Here's the link to the videos of side and front on my power cleans. Critique them if you see them,there's going to lots of things wrong with my form haha https://www.dropbox.com/s/e1db0jiweywx3jd/VID_20140728_111907.mp4
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/ds8fg5ib41exceo/VID_20140728_112005.mp4

Didn't manage to log here yesterday so yesterdays training is first

40m plyometrics drills
    A walk
    B walk
    One leg A walk
    Sideways A walk.
    Bicycle
    One leg bicycle jog variation

3x5 squat jumps
    2x5 tuck jumps

2x125m sprints 90%pace

Todays session cycling
    2 hours 11 minutes
    45.4k distance
    20.7kmph average speed and 445m elevation gained

I'm very very proud of myself after that

Im getting lazier at posting here but don't worry I'm still training hard and keeping it in my own journal

Yesterday I did a rings and sprinting session
    3x5 dips failed on 4th set
    4 sets if 2 hanging tucks with 1leg out
    4x10 archer pushups
    3x10second knee drives
    5x5 fly's
    2x10 rotations
    3x5 rollouts
    4x90m sprints each one after than the one before

Then today went cycling?Check out my 37.5 km Ride on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/175717437
    Thats strava there
    31.5km distance
    23.2kmph average speeds
    In 1 hour 36 minutes moving time

I just wanted to make it clear that I haven't stopped training. I did 3 session in total since my last post here none of which were good enough to post here as I was struggling. I got a shoulder injury that's taken me out of training now for a week and its almost gone but not just yet. Will get back into training soon but I'm ditching the weights for about a month as I feel I'm burning out on them and are the cause of this injury. I'm going to replace that session with some sort of circuit training for about a month maybe a month and a half

Do you have access to a track to run on? If you want to get back in sprinting shape there's no substitute to actually getting on the track and knocking out sets of 200s etc. When I was getting back into 400m running I spent months trying to get fit before I went near the track but I'd have been better off just biting the bullet and doing it. Start off with one session a week and take it from there.

Do you have access to a track to run on? If you want to get back in sprinting shape there's no substitute to actually getting on the track and knocking out sets of 200s etc. When I was getting back into 400m running I spent months trying to get fit before I went near the track but I'd have been better off just biting the bullet and doing it. Start off with one session a week and take it from there.

The club I train with is on the summer break now and I'm trying to get strong and fit first as I'm starting uni in about 2 weeks and will join the club then. I'm sprinting 2 times a week in grass as I have problems with my feet and am building them up again after a stress fracture. Basically taking a break from running on the hard track surface which I managed to keep training on 3 times a week through leaving cert. The summer has been about gaining weight back ,working on technique and improving posture and I'll start sprinting again soon doing 200's and the like. Might actually replace the weights session with a session like that

• Advertisement

Ah you're sorted so. Good idea training on grass if you've had a stress fracture. Actually I should reel in what I said a bit: there's no problem with doing speed endurance and tempo work on the grass, even during the season (in fact some coaches encourage it as it's easier on the legs). The track is only really needed for proper speed workouts, blocks and accelerations etc. But it looks like you've a solid plan, so I'll butt out of your log now. :)

Ah you're sorted so. Good idea training on grass if you've had a stress fracture. Actually I should reel in what I said a bit: there's no problem with doing speed endurance and tempo work on the grass, even during the season (in fact some coaches encourage it as it's easier on the legs). The track is only really needed for proper speed workouts, blocks and accelerations etc. But it looks like you've a solid plan, so I'll butt out of your log now. :)

Haha you're grand ,butt in as often as you like :-D I'll be down around the track again in about 2weeks and I'll start that again but I do like to think I have a solid plan ,not perfect but solid nonetheless

Wednesday 20th august
    2x900m with 10 minutes break between it. Was wrecked haha

Thursday 21st august
    Rings -5support holds
    2x5 dips
    5 support position leg raises
    6 strict pullups
    2 hanging l-sits
    2hanging tucks
    3x20squats/support hold
    2x various plank holds

8x90m stride outs with emphasis on technique

Saturday 23rd august
    5x5 front squat 25kg
    3x16 deadlift 29kg

Having trouble with my stomach and excessive acid in it so I'm not doing too treaty. Can't manage anything serious strength work or that so I'm laying off a but until I get my stomach sorted.

Check out my 5.2 km Run on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/186065564

That was a run I did yesterday. Could have done another 1km definitely but decided to stop at 5km
    Want to do more long running like this and cycling over the next few weeks while trying to maintain some core strength until I can get up on the rings again.

Did a parkrun today for the first time so here's my 5km. Reckon I could have gone a minute faster but I didn't push too hard as I have a group cycle tomorrow that's going to kill me

Check out my 5.2 km Run on Strava: http://app.strava.com/activities/187234720
    I'm going to try and get 1 or 2 5km runs in a week for the winter to help with endurance for the 800m and 400m. I'm trying to do them at fast pace so as to build strength.

So just an overview so far on my training as I'm reaching a checkpoint in it.
    Over the summer, plan was to gain back some weight(I went from 55kg to 61kg).
    Gain a lot of strength (I now deadlift 45kg for a set of 5,which is the highest I want really).
    And got a ridiculous amount of core strength from the rings.
    I stuck to my plans pretty well and only had one small injury which wasn't connected to training.
    Now as I'm going into university and winter is setting in program is changing again to focus on different stuff. Will be inside more and more emphasis will be placed on endurance and maintaining my core strength on the rings when weather permits.
    Cycling is getting more serious too hoping to do some charity sportives next year so will be upping that.

I have devised new sessions and will change and adapt them to my new timetable as the need arises. I'll also be doing some more sprint work as the club starts back again in maybe 2-3 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

What uni are you of to?

What uni are you of to?

Nuig!!! Studying mathematical science

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭RidleyRider

You'd surely find a gym in galway? Heard NUIG gym is gone but Galway city gym has a few gym heads.

• Advertisement

You'd surely find a gym in galway? Heard NUIG gym is gone but Galway city gym has a few gym heads.

The kingfisher is there? That's not gone is it? I was going to go to the kingfisher nuig gym for the convenience of being so near to the track and lectures halls

Advertisement