Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My return to fitness

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,050 ✭✭✭EmcD123

Done a few more track sessions since the last post, I'm starting to get fast again. I've been manually adding them on strava because strava just makes it so easy to keep track of what im doing.

Still havent cycled since the giro,saving up for my cycling ireland license at the moment, going to also give track a go this year and a friend is trying to convince me to give mountain biking a go,but parents said no to that haha

sessions on track were:
    21/november : 2 x200m flat out sprints
    10 x 50m 12kg sledge sprints
    Then i got the flu
    30/november : 6x100m sprints
    speed drills on microhurdles,
    session was supposed to be 10x100m but i couldnt manage it after being sick

Went for a run this morning to try and beat off the stress from iminent exams .
    http://www.strava.com/activities/225447507 did 5km in 23 minutes 16 seconds. Definetly not the worst ive ever done

Didnt have enough ater this morning haha went to the gym during public hours.

3x8 16kg kettlebell squats
    5x5 30kg deadlifts

first time lifting a weight in aggggessss!! loved it
    spent 15 minutes of torture on the watt bike, I really hate stationary bikes...

A session of hill sprints tonight....
    4x6 sprints(around 80m each)
    very very muddyand slippy as the mountain bike race on sunday has churned up the ground so much

Deciding on trying to do just one or two excercises and focus on them and get strong at those. so deadlifts and squats seem the most value for time so deadlifts it is.

2x10 dealifts @25kg(warmup)

2x5 @ 35kg
    3x5 @ 45kg

dont feel too bad now but the last set was really tough.

Starting to get back into the swing of training, a lot of personal stuff happened during the last few weeks, causing me to be a bit demotivated to do just about anything and i'm only just starting to get back on track now after it.

• Advertisement

Did the local parkrun this morning instead of sprint training last night just for a change.
    There were a few very fast guys there today and i started off with them and ended up going out too hard and paying the price in the last 2 kilometers so my final time wasnt great at 23minutes 7 seconds but the first 3km splits were actually very good for me.the first one was 3minutes 47 seconds.:cool::cool:

http://www.strava.com/activities/226634745

Thats the first week of exams down, didnt do too badly i dont think, one more week left then christmas training. Thinking i'll start a new log in the new year as i feel i now have a good base and dont find the title of this log particularly fitting anymore also my goals have changed quite a lot.

One more exam finished yesterday,just 2 more this week then i'm free. Busy brainstorming ideas for the new log title. Kinda want a fresh start anyway so im not that sorry to be starting a new one, i can always link this one in the first post of the new one.

Not physical fitness here but i value it just as much so was going to post my progress through a maths website named project euler aswell,really feel like i need to focus and sharpen my mind as well as the physical side of things so i thought i'd make this log a bit of both, if that goes against forum rules then i'm sorry :L

Anyway have 10 questions now solved on project euler
    q's 1-7,q9,q16,q20

Anyway plans for over christmas include deadlifting 50kg and if dad isnt around then attempting bodyweight which is 60kg
    Squats have to wait till i get public hours in kingfisher and there isnt a huge queue....:(
    and military press up to about 20kg
    recently bought a new chin up bar to replace the one that broke so i'm going to get that stuck up on the door sometime very soon

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭Sardino

Found this log a great read! Actually got me motivated to introduce sprints into my training. Did you join up with Harriers in the end? I looked at the website there but there isn't a great breakdown on what the training entails. Sent them an email anyway.

Sardino wrote: »
    Found this log a great read! Actually got me motivated to introduce sprints into my training. Did you join up with Harriers in the end? I looked at the website there but there isn't a great breakdown on what the training entails. Sent them an email anyway.

Thanks man,that really means a lot. The coach that i had from my years in the juvenile part of galway city harriers told all the nuig sprinters we could stay training with them so im still training with the juvenile group.They're a really good club thats for definite. Im not sure how the sprinting works for the senior part of the club ,im not sure if there is even sprinting in that part of the club

• Advertisement

sitting down studying is killing me so i went a did a session to get some life back into my legs.

2x5 front squats @25kg
    3x5 front squats @35kg

3x5 military press @25kg

meant to do 5x5 press and 7x5 on the squats but my wrists just werent able for it today. All in all a very quick(35mins) and easy session. :cool:

Exams are completely over since friday. Am completely exhausted but i went training anyway.

did 8x100m sprints flat out
    had a terrible headache and felt faint after the second one but worked through the pain and managed 8 out of the 10 before i had to give up

Did a lot of speed drills with micro hurdles before the sprints. :P

Now that the turkey dinner has been digested i thought it was time ot do some training
    Deadlifts 5x5
    -2x5 @25kg
    -1x5 @35kg
    -1x5 @ 45kg
    -1x5 @53kg
    thats basically the bar maxed out with all the weight in the house which sucks......
    Front squats 5x5
    -2x5 @25kg
    -2x5 @35kg
    -1x5 @ 45kg
    theres a huge jump in difficulty when the squats go from 35 to 45
    the last squat set was torture. really really tough but i managed it

Trying cleans again now that im stronger and have a friend whos taking lessons

2x5 @25kg
    3x5 @35kg
    last set really killed me out
    core afterwards was awful due to the fatigue from the cleans(theyre hard on the cardio....)
    circuit done twice
    circuit:
    plank till it hurts
    10 pushups
    10 wide grip pushupsw
    10 diamond pushups(all done on knees as its so long since i did pushups or trained chest)
    16 reps @10kg military press
    15 reps @10kg front squats

the second set of the circuit was tough mainly because my shoulders were so tired. enjoyed it all the same:cool:

2x10 full bodyweight squats(warmup)
    5x5 overhead squat 9kg
    5x10(5 per leg) spliut squat 15kg

3 sets of : 5 bodyweight leg press,10 flutter kicks,5 clockwise leg rotation,5 anticlockwise

did the squats with low weight to get accustomed to the movements as the last time i tried overhead squats i kept falling over but i managed it grand today

Did the parkrun today and nearly died, chest is so clogged up with crap after the string of flus i caught in the last few weeks.
    Strava didnt record it properly but the lads at the finish line told me the 5km run was done around 23 minutes 30 seconds. Im not really getting closer to 23 but then again im not exactly training for it

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Downwind

I should be doing this.......

Downwind wrote: »
    I should be doing this.......

Just like general training or what? haha i have running tomorrow morning aswell(i hope)

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Just like general training or what? haha i have running tomorrow morning aswell(i hope)
    Low impact for me I think , walking then some cycling then 2 ultra marathons back to back dont mind me its just the voices in my head.
    Hope you get out pounding the conc tomorrow.

Low impact for me I think , walking then some cycling then 2 ultra marathons back to back dont mind me its just the voices in my head.
    Hope you get out pounding the conc tomorrow.

Cycling is great it really is, im trying out road racing this year. No conc for me, its all track sprinting at this time of year. races start in just a few weeks.
    2 ultra marathons is no joke, i struggle to do 5km

• Advertisement

EmcD123 wrote: »
    Cycling is great it really is, im trying out road racing this year. No conc for me, its all track sprinting at this time of year. races start in just a few weeks.
    2 ultra marathons is no joke, i struggle to do 5km

In my dreams re ultramarathons . However used the Defence forces training plan in 2012 and I'm going to back to it got me running 5 km in under 25 mins, had to do alot of low impact before that to get the weight down befor I started running.

what does that program involve,i havent heard of that one before?

Ina nut shell its fartlek training but Ill dig out the details and post em.

Ina nut shell its fartlek training but Ill dig out the details and post em.

thanks that would be great. fartlek makes for really hard training

3x3 jog(20m),stride(40m),sprint(40m)
    Didnt really get much out of this session ,looking back i should have gone with the middle distance group they did a great sprinting session

Advertisement