Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hotels near Dundrum Shopping Centre

Options
  • 17-06-2014 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,100 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

My wife and sister in law are heading up to Dundrum this weekend and are looking for a hotel close enough to the shopping centre.

Can anyone recommend somewhere?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

The Beacon is one of the 1st that comes to mind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

Beacon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Moved to Dublin County South

• Registered Users Posts: 3,750 ✭✭✭fleet_admiral

bewleys in leoparstown isnt too far either, you could us the luas from there and travel the short distance to balally for the SC

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

Yep, Bewleys in Leopardstown is easy - it's a few minutes from the luas station and it's only 10 mins max to the Balally stop then.

There's Baan Thai nearby, but otherwise the area is very quiet. There is the Stillorgan Park hotel - which is down on the N11 and they would need to get taxi's to/from Dundrum.

Otherwise, stay in town and get a luas to Dundrum - it's only 20 mins from Stephen's Green afterall :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭rotun

if staying in leopardstown, the leopardstown inn is a great spot for the aul apres shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Are there no hotels in Dundrum!?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aard wrote: »
    Are there no hotels in Dundrum!?

South Dublin outside the city is not good for hotels. Stillorgan Park and the Radisson St Helens are the only ones really outside Bewleys and the Beacon in Sandyford Ind. Estate. The Montrose is closed and now being fitted out for student accommodation, Tara Towers wouldn't be a good choice for the OP - too far from Dundrum SC relative to the other places mentioned. After that you'd be looking at Dun Laoghaire - the Royal Marine or Rochestown Lodge.

I'd go for the Stillorgan Park Hotel, it's an easy drive to Dundrum SC and in the evenings you could leave the car and get the 46A or 145 (bus) into town.

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭supersheeps

Why not look at somewhere like the Hilton at Charlemont, or a city centre hotel close to Stephen's Green? When I worked in Dundrum, we'd book UK/International head office staff and contractors into these places. Only 20 minutes to the centre by Luas, but also in the city centre so they could go for something to eat/drink instead of being stuck in a suburban hotel complex. Never had any complaints, actually, the only complaints I can think of is when the UK travel department booked a few visitors into one of the Sandyford hotels and they were so bored in the evenings that we ended up "kidnapping" them and bringing them into town!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

The nearest hotel I know off is the IMI residence, about a 15 minute walk up the road from the town centre.

http://imiresidence.com/

• Advertisement

dogmatix wrote: »
    The nearest hotel I know off is the IMI residence, about a 15 minute walk up the road from the town centre.

http://imiresidence.com/

It's called a 'residence' and not a 'hotel' for good reasons. For starters there is no bar and the 'lounge' is described as follows..

A choice of soft drinks and snacks are available from the vending machines and complimentary tea & coffee is provided throughout the day.

And if you want food in the evening...

Guests are welcome to order from local restaurants for delivery and cutlery, crockery and glasses are available from the Mezzanine Lounge. A microwave and ice-machine are also provided.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭dogmatix

But sure why would you need an onsite restaurant and bar with all the top-classs eateries just 15 minutes walk downhill? There is even a chipper on the main street - unless it has closed like so many other business on that street.

Mind you it is then a 15 minute walk uphill which might be an issue if you are stuffed with a batterburger, large chips and five pints of Guinness

dogmatix wrote: »
    But sure why would you need an onsite restaurant and bar with all the top-classs eateries just 15 minutes walk downhill?

The OP is talking about his wife and her sister coming up from the country, I really don't think that would a suitable solution. A 15 minute walk might seem like nothing to you, it probably would to two ladies in a part of town they're not familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

Donnelly's Bed & Breakfast
    Mayfield Terrace Ballinteer, Dublin 16, Co. Dublin
    01-2985206

This must be the closest place to stay near the shopping centre. It is behind the centra shop on the road just up from the shopping centre (towards the M50). you can almost see the town centre from the centra shop.

It is interesting to think about a need for hotels in the area, I just never thought about there being so many people visiting who would need to stay over and of course there must be many many people in that situation!

the original plans for the shopping centre actually included a hotel, this was to be built in a further phase of the centre, over the old shopping centre in the village...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

It is interesting to think about a need for hotels in the area, I just never thought about there being so many people visiting who would need to stay over and of course there must be many many people in that situation!

the original plans for the shopping centre actually included a hotel, this was to be built in a further phase of the centre, over the old shopping centre in the village...

Given the number of hotel beds in Dublin at the moment, and the ease of getting to Dundrum by Luas, there may not be as much business as you think.

There is very few other reasons to stay in Dundrum, I like Dundrum, I live there, I just don't see much need for a hotel.

Advertisement