Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HostelWorld - a warning

• 17-06-2014 11:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I recently used HostelWorld to book two hostels in Hong Kong.

It turns out both hostels are illegal and unlicensed. I know this because the buildings they're in have multiple signs saying so.

The buildings were totally unsuitable for high density hostels. I checked out the fire escape and it was difficult for one person to use, so I can't imagine what it'd be like if there's a fire and hundreds of people are in a panic.

I e-mailed HostelWorld about this nearly 10 days ago and no response.

My conclusion:

1) They do no due diligence on properties advertising their services on their website.
    2) They don't care.

I don't know if their competitors are better, but please be aware you need to be careful when booking hostels online. You won't know if they're real hostels, safe for guests, until you arrive.

Good luck.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

Hah, since posting this they decided to reply to my e-mail.

This is their response:
    This hostel does have license, and most of the properties in Hong Kong are in the apartment buildings.

Hope this helps.

I've seen the official "unlicensed" signs so I know the hostels weren't licensed.

The second part may be true (hostels are often in buildings which also have apartments), but I suspect the reason the hostels I went to were unlicensed is because they're in apartment blocks unsuitable for hostels / high density accommodation.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭Cipango

Hah, since posting this they decided to reply to my e-mail.

This is their response:

I've seen the official "unlicensed" signs so I know the hostels weren't licensed.

The second part may be true (hostels are often in buildings which also have apartments), but I suspect the reason the hostels I went to were unlicensed is because they're in apartment blocks unsuitable for hostels / high density accommodation.

Sorry to resurrect an old topic but was this by any chance Chungking mansion? If so the smallest bit of research would have brought up the infamous background of Chungking mansion. It is the "official" head of organised crime in HK and houses countless hostels - many used by asylum seekers or those awaiting for their residency clearance.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭gypsy79

Cipango wrote: »
    Sorry to resurrect an old topic but was this by any chance Chungking mansion? If so the smallest bit of research would have brought up the infamous background of Chungking mansion. It is the "official" head of organised crime in HK and houses countless hostels - many used by asylum seekers or those awaiting for their residency clearance.
    And a must stay in when visiting Hong Kong in my opinion. They are in a perfect part of town and all part of the experience.

RELAX

Advertisement