Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tawdy RIP

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 607 ✭✭✭dougal

Liz Reddy ‏@LilyReddy 1m
    Gardai in Waterford have confirmed that well known character,Tawdy Morrissey has died. He was found in his hut on the Tramore Rd. this morn

Looks like it's true RIP Tawdy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,620 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Link/Source? I saw the same Facebook page and immediately came here to find out if anyone else knew.

EDIT: I didn't see the quote properly. My mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kerrygold47

Such a shame yes it's on wlrfm to now he will be sadly missed r.I.p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,299 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

RIP Tawdy. One of Waterford's true characters. Will be sadly missed.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

Aw, Im sorry to hear that. It was sad to see the way his life ended up but he was a harmless soul and he will be much missed. RIP Tawdy :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

awful news and i only seen him sitting on the chair on the opposite side he usually sits on the other day, jesus he was only 58 too.
    rip tawdy

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Would drive past a lot of days and give the car horn a beep to see Tawdy raise the hand in his friendly way of saying hello! A local legend, so sad to read that he passed away. May he Rest in Peace. Another legend has left us for the heavens, unfortunately. Some sort of plaque would be a nice gesture.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭christy02

Sully wrote: »
    Would drive past a lot of days and give the car horn a beep to see Tawdy raise the hand in his friendly way of saying hello! A local legend, so sad to read that he passed away. May he Rest in Peace. Another legend has left us for the heavens, unfortunately. Some sort of plague would be a nice gesture.

Plague? Lol

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

christy02 wrote: »
    Plague? Lol

Typical! One letter makes it sound awful!! Fixed, thanks :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

awful news and i only seen him sitting on the chair on the opposite side he usually sits on the other day, jesus he was only 58 too.
    rip tawdy

When i heard that today I was shocked. I dont know him but he looked way older.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭smaoifs

Black Suir wrote: »
    When i heard that today I was shocked. I dont know him but he looked way older.

I would have thought 68. My uncle said before that he went to school with him and my uncle would be in his late 60s.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 kerrygold47

Some news reports are saying 58 but comments from people who actually know him say 68 so I'd say more than likely 68.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Some news reports are saying 58 but comments from people who actually know him say 68 so I'd say more than likely 68.

Rio
    Harmless poor ol divil.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭taytobreath

There's a r.i.p Facebook page set up now in his honour and a petition for a statue to be erected at the bench where he sat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

he was an extra in the movie the blue max

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭floyd333

Very sad news. He seemed like a harmless chap. He always saluted when I ran/ cycled by him on the Tramore road. May he rest in peace.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,110 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Funeral Arrangements:

Removal From University Hospital Waterford Mortuary Chapel
    On Thursday June 19th to Saint John's Church Parnell Street arriving for 7pm
    Requiem Mass on Friday June 20th at 10am
    Burial Immediately afterwards in St Otterans Cemetery Ballinaneeshagh
    No Flowers Please
    Donations in Lieu to Society of Saint Vincent De Paul C/o Luke Hennessy Funeral Directors.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,588 ✭✭✭STIG83

RIP, Wlrfm saying he worked in the Glass? How did he end up living on the Tramore Road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭barneystinson

Be interesting to see how many of the people who are so terribly saddened by his death with their FB tributes, will turn out at his funeral...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,766 ✭✭✭lertsnim

Be interesting to see how many of the people who are so terribly saddened by his death with their FB tributes, will turn out at his funeral...

It won't be that interesting really.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

I certainly think that if you got your photo taken with him and put it up on Facebook or Twitter, you ought to turn up. There's a certain "dancing bear" element about how people interacted with him which always made me deeply uncomfortable.

I don't want to tar all with the same brush, because for every person who brought him cans or bottles, told him he was great craic, got their picture taken and fcuked off again, I'm sure there were as many who brought him a nice pie or a cake, and talked to him about his life.

FWIW, I only ever saw him in passing, and if drinking a few bottles, waving at passing cars and getting the odd bit of attention from people for being colourful made him happy, then who am I to criticise?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

He was my Doorman for 10 years, not all sweetness and light I might add, but lets not talk ill of the dead, but we humans have a selective memory.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,219 ✭✭✭JMcL

RIP Tawdy. He was never short a wave when cycling past and always had the same remark that "It's some weather boy" - even if it was pissing out of the heavens!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭MRnotlob606

seen a picture on facebook of him in the fca.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

wellboytoo wrote: »
    He was my Doorman for 10 years, not all sweetness and light I might add, but lets not talk ill of the dead, but we humans have a selective memory.

He must of done something right if you employed him for 10 years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

He must of done something right if you employed him for 10 years!

LOL I didn't employ him he camped outside my house!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tombliboo83

Just seen a chap (mid fifties) well dressed, ,posing for a picture with a can of carlsberg in hand next to tawdys seat...wtf??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

wellboytoo wrote: »
    LOL I didn't employ him he camped outside my house!

Must be some sort of inside joke then,i dont know the chap who died but i assumed a doorman was like a bouncer and he worked for you for 10 years obviously not then :o

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭beyondbelief67

Just seen a chap (mid fifties) well dressed, ,posing for a picture with a can of carlsberg in hand next to tawdys seat...wtf??
    Maybe he's raising a glass/can in Tawdys memory with the funeral being today ? Hope it's that and not someone trying to take his place or even having a joke at his expense today of all days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭membersonly

Maybe he's raising a glass/can in Tawdys memory with the funeral being today ? Hope it's that and not someone trying to take his place or even having a joke at his expense today of all days.

People took the piss out of him for years though didn't they? Putting flags in his hand etc and taking photos? Anyone claiming this was out of respect or that he loved sport is deluded.

He was left to rot on the side of the road by a community who now claim he was a local "legend/icon/treasure". The truth hurts.

RIP

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement