Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Baby Swallows Question

• 17-06-2014 12:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭

Hi there
    Just a quick question about baby swallows if any one can help. We have a nest in our turf shed with 4 baby swallows in. We noticed mum & dad flying round frantic like and making a racket.

Gone in to the shed to find one of the babies had fallen out of the nest, thankfully there was an old quilt on the floor underneath so it had a "soft" landing.

Right or wrong I managed to get the little one back into the nest but I noticed all the babies were panting like mad I presume with the heat in there. Mum & Dad have disappeared for the moment, is there anything I can do to give them water or help cool it down in there? Or do we just leave nature well alone? Hate to think they'd be suffering.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

You definitely did the right thing by putting the youngster back in the nest.
    The chicks are obviously feeling the heat,and the panting is their way of dealing with it.I think they should be okay hydration-wise with the food the parents are bringing back.As you say,just leave them to it and they should be fine.Someone else may have a different opinion of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Apart from doing what you can to ventilate the shed by leaving all doors and windows open, there is little more. The adults will look after them. It is hot but not excessively so just yet.

Well done on returning the fallen chick!

• Registered Users Posts: 412 ✭✭bijou

Yeah i have the doors open but it's showing 28 degrees here and another 2 have fallen out :( It's a tin roof so it's absorbing the heat. I got the hose out and soaked a blanket with cold water and placed it on the roof outside above the nest. Might be a bit futile but I'm an old softie.

Thanks all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 608 ✭✭✭Bonedigger

The nest is obviously getting crowded at this stage,which is a good sign - they're probably not far off fledging.

It's crowded alright! Do you think it would help if I used a fine mist spray of water on them or just leave them?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

No, do not spray them.

OK lol just being an over protective mama I guess. I'll just keep an eye on them

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

'Mine' are at the same stage here except it's mostly slate roofs they are under, the youngsters have flown from a couple nests and they must be mightily relieved...the underneath of the slates is red hot but during last summers heat there didn't appear to be one casualty , as said yours will fly anyday now and I'll bet they will be fine..

Advertisement