Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henry Street/O Curry Street? What has gone wrong?

• 17-06-2014 1:26pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Another Limerick bashing thread:mad:
    What is the story with the amount of absolute scum in what was once a regular city area?

College classmate walking down there last week, girlfriend gets punched in the face by a lady scummer. They go to the Gardai who bring them up in the car to see the same group of scum women punching another woman around the street.

I have noticed at all hours of the day complete scumbags around this part of Henry street and onto O Curry street.

Same college classmate, not from Limerick. His experiences of being in the city centre so far are scum smoking joints outside the courthouse during the day, a scumbag putting his fist through the window of a taxi, and his other half getting punched in the face.

The warm weather has also brought out the dregs of society around town as well. :mad:

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 3,554 ✭✭✭Wise Old Elf

I think the problem with Henry Street is the "wet hostel" that moved down there from John's Square a couple of years ago. I vaguely remember reading about it (Edit: Found the story, link below).

I know someone who lives nearby and is plague by these "locals" drinking and fighting on the streets around Henry Street. things like these wet hostels are all well and good, but there needs to be strict policing of anti-social behaviour anywhere around them. I wouldn't be that happy walking around Henry street now, I was when I moved to Limerick.

http://www.limerickleader.ie/news/local-news/shock-at-12-6m-limerick-wet-house-1-2187161

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I went to primary and secondary school in the area in the 80s and 90s, and it has turned into a complete scumhole.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭Am I Evil?

For such a relatively small city the level of scum within the place has reached disgusting levels. Its depressing beyond belief when you're walking around the streets and all you see is closed up shops and the scrubs of life waddling around a corner.

I work within the city centre and even the changes in the last few years are fairly drastic. It's getting worse
    Junkies and general low lifes are a plenty

After a night out the other night I went for a bit of food only to find a group of 5 people (likely in their 30s) verbally abusing an old man sitting on his own beside them. For absolutely no reason they felt the need to attack him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,083 ✭✭✭Jofspring

Parnell Street, Davis Street, Henry Street, Wickham Street and the top of William Street can all be very dodgy. Even down Cruises street at certain times can be an awful place to be. To be honest I am so used to it now I go about my business fine without any hassle but I can see why people not from Limerick would find the place very intimidating.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

I will be in Limerick myself in two weeks time.I was last there in December and i had no issues and i thought there was a pleasant atmosphere around town.I always felt that the centre of Cork get's a bit rougher in the late evening than Limericks tbh.Maybe im just naive or something but i've never had any trouble in Limerick and i have never felt intimidated there.I've always found it to be a very nice city.Although having said that i wouldn't be around the area that the OP is talking about very often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

Indeed, the scumbag / normal person level in the city has increased in the last couple of years, was walking down cruises street last Saturday and 2 junkies openly dealing in the old entrance to GAME.

O curry street can look like a scene from the walking dead half the time. We need more cops on the beat or at least to show some sort of presence, and ZERO tolerance to be taken to ALL public order offences, not just this warning / revolving door BS that's going on at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

O'Curry Street has always been dodgy so it was only a matter of time before it spread onto Henry Street.

I blame the landlords too who use the opportunity to convert houses into multiple bedsits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,319 ✭✭✭davo2001

O'Curry Street has always been dodgy so it was only a matter of time before it spread onto Henry Street.

I blame the landlords too who use the opportunity to convert houses into multiple bedsits.

Or leave the house unoccupied? Hardly their fault.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭mgbgt1978

As already hinted at, the answer is quite simple.

McGarry house on Alphonsus St.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,853 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

davo2001 wrote: »
    Or leave the house unoccupied? Hardly their fault.

I never said leave it unoccupied. I simply mentioned that some landlords are turning houses into modern day tenements which only attract trouble.

That part of town was on a slippery slope even when the wet house was in John's Square so while it is a contributor I don't think it's fully responsible.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 15,237 Mod ✭✭✭✭FutureGuy

Wet Houses. Never heard of them. Free food and accomodation.

Wow.

Glad to see my tax money going to such fantastic use.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

FutureGuy wrote: »
    Wet Houses. Never heard of them. Free food and accomodation.

Wow.

Glad to see my tax money going to such fantastic use.

You don't think housing the homeless is worthy of funding? For what its worth, all residents of these hostels pay rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭rubbledoubledo

Jofspring wrote: »
    Parnell Street, Davis Street, Henry Street, Wickham Street and the top of William Street can all be very dodgy. Even down Cruises street at certain times can be an awful place to be. To be honest I am so used to it now I go about my business fine without any hassle but I can see why people not from Limerick would find the place very intimidating.
    You have said it all there.
    Very intimidating city i think.

I have switched to going to Cork for weekends now.
    Any time in limerick, i allways seem to be looking over my shoulder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,489 ✭✭✭squonk

Yeah. I lived in Dublin for years and while there were plenty of scumbags around the place, it was easier avoid them. I'm not walking out in fear of my life or anything now but you're never far away from them and I've seen more dodgy characters regularly than I would have habitually in Dublin. Then again I live in Henry St. Usually in my travels I've found that you start out wary in a place then see what it's like and realise it's not as bad. I think now I realise that Limerick is dodgier than I imagined around town. I now feel sorry for casual tourists. I'm sure lots of them enjoy their stay but I'd say a few get scares and an unlucky few get rolled.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

jacksie66 wrote: »
    More limerick bashing I see. I'm from limerick and lived just up from Henry street near Mary I for a few years. Walked up and down that road many a time and never a word said to me. Walked around the city centre at all hours of the morning after a night of drinking or whatnot and never any trouble. I've had more trouble in Dublin and cork than in limerick. Limerick is no more dangerous than any other place in Ireland. You go looking for trouble and you'll find it.

Yes. It is more Limerick bashing, and I'm from Limerick. As long as there are posts, with the "nothing to see, it's all fine here!", then things will never change and the circle jerk in Limerick city will continue.

Dublin city centre is on a par with Limerick with the amount of scobes knocking around, but Dublin is 10 times the size.

Nobody mentioned looking for trouble either. I don't know where you got that from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭bennyl10

seachto7 wrote: »
    Yes. It is more Limerick bashing, and I'm from Limerick. As long as there are posts, with the "nothing to see, it's all fine here!", then things will never change and the circle jerk in Limerick city will continue.

Dublin city centre is on a par with Limerick with the amount of scobes knocking around, but Dublin is 10 times the size.

Nobody mentioned looking for trouble either. I don't know where you got that from.

Dublin is on par? What world are you in?
    Abbey street one has more scobes than in all of limerick!

I freely admit limerick, and henry st, is far.from.perfect, but nowhere near as bad as Dublin!

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭Totally Tropical

bennyl10 wrote: »

I freely admit limerick, and henry st, is far.from.perfect, but nowhere near as bad as Dublin!

I'll see for myself next week but according to some people it seems that world war 3 has broken out since i've last been in Limerick! Dublin is a lot bigger than Limerick but Limerick streets are nowhere near as bad as the O'Connell Street area in Dublin. Apart from Parnell Street i find Limerick to be grand. Im not some naive person that's oblivious to potential dangers but i have never felt unnerved in the centre of Limerick. If anything i feel the opposite of that. Of course i might be forced to change that view in time but please god that won't happen. Im sure there's lot's of other people that have similar views. As for the poster talking about Cork. Cork would be a city that i have a deep affection and fondness for but i disagree with the opinion that it's safer than Limerick on weekends. There was a homeless man who got beaten up by a gang of youths in Cork city centre on a Saturday afternoon in broad daylight a few months ago. There was another incident a few weeks later where a man was stabbed on Shandon Street after he confronted some youths who fired a bottle at his car. I guess what im trying to say is that all cities have their nice and not so nice aspects to them. It's just a pity that some people can't appreciate the many positive aspects of Limerick city and they are there but some people either don't know or they don't want to know about them! That doesn't mean that we have to brush things under the carpet but between the media outlets and sites like this. People are literally falling over themselves over the past few years (decades to be more accurate!) queuing up to point out Limericks faults! Why aren't some of those people as quick to point out the things that are great about Limerick?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 321 ✭✭DeWinterZero

Far away hills look green.

A quick look at the threads for Cork, Galway, Dublin city & some of its suburbs reveal similar threads of people complaining about crimes or how bad their city is.

I guess people like to complain.

People like to complain yet I've lived in a Dublin, Galway and Limerick and can honestly say the scumbag factor is more widespread in Limerick than elsewhere. Yeah, in Dublin you have particular places that are dodgy, very dodgy infact but the city center is bigger and you can largely avoid them. Galway is pretty good actually. Yeah if you're about Eyre Square at half 3 in the morning then there is a danger someone will kick your head in but 99% of the time it's pretty good. Limerick just has more scrotes knocking around most places. Now, it's not quite South Africa where we all need to live in compounds and get chauffeured everywhere, and while most limerick bods are sound, it's not too hard to wind up in hassle I get the impression.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

squonk wrote: »
    People like to complain yet I've lived in a Dublin, Galway and Limerick and can honestly say the scumbag factor is more widespread in Limerick than elsewhere. Yeah, in Dublin you have particular places that are dodgy, very dodgy infact but the city center is bigger and you can largely avoid them. Galway is pretty good actually. Yeah if you're about Eyre Square at half 3 in the morning then there is a danger someone will kick your head in but 99% of the time it's pretty good. Limerick just has more scrotes knocking around most places. Now, it's not quite South Africa where we all need to live in compounds and get chauffeured everywhere, and while most limerick bods are sound, it's not too hard to wind up in hassle I get the impression.

Galway is the countries party town, a destination for stags and hens and group piss ups etc a bit like Templebar, it has a carnival like atmoshpere up until about 11 o'clock from then on it gets particularly messy, just like Templebar, don't try to brush how messy it gets under the carpet, there is a reason why there is a massive garda presence in the city centre...this is not a reflection of Galway people, it is a reflection of the type of crowd Galway attracts. I feel sorry for the tourists who aren't used to that level of drunken carnage, most of them enjoy their stay but some of them must get rolled over.

Limerick's issues are not in the city centre, because there is CCTV all over it, the kind of people who you are referring to know this, there is a reason why there isn't a massive garda presence in the city centre, the vast majority of pubs (outside the Market Quarter that is) in the city centre do not employ bouncers for the same reason, not only is there not any trouble in the vast majority of those pubs there isn't even a hint of trouble...for me it makes Limerick an excellent town to go out in.

By virtue of the fact you compared Dublin to Limerick merely unmasks your motives or flaws in your objectivity, you may not even be aware of it, you, like most of the country have been literally pummelled with one particular narrative for 30/40 years, that narrative is deeply ingrained in people who can be hard wired to watch out for anything that looks remotely threatening, and then feel threatened by it. Reality is different tho, I am sure you can walk into hassle in Limerick, but the chances are very remote, do you honestly think that the Limerick Leader and Irish Independent wouldn't be reporting these incidents if they were occurring?

Is anyone else getting tired of these Limerick bashing threads...

Yeah Galway does have drunken mayhem but I never found it very threatening. Yeah you see gards out and about but I've never witnessed any real trouble. I'm willing to say that I may have not been in the right place at the right time however.

I can tell you I'm not just subconsciously acting out impressions of Limerick. I've lived in various parts of Dublin both good and not so good areas and I've largely gotten used to taking places as I find them. I never said Limerick City Center is a constant standoff between the cops and the scumbags. I haven't had any trouble yet but what I am saying is that I've encountered more dodgy characters around and about in 6 months here than 3 years in Galway. Yes, you had dodgy types in Dublin as well but you stood a better chance at avoiding them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭vkid

squonk wrote: »
    Yeah Galway does have drunken mayhem but I never found it very threatening. Yeah you see gards out and about but I've never witnessed any real trouble. I'm willing to say that I may have not been in the right place at the right time however.

I can tell you I'm not just subconsciously acting out impressions of Limerick. I've lived in various parts of Dublin both good and not so good areas and I've largely gotten used to taking places as I find them. I never said Limerick City Center is a constant standoff between the cops and the scumbags. I haven't had any trouble yet but what I am saying is that I've encountered more dodgy characters around and about in 6 months here than 3 years in Galway. Yes, you had dodgy types in Dublin as well but you stood a better chance at avoiding them.

I spend a bit of time in all 3 due to work and really not a fan of Eyre Square at night at all and Shop St etc can be very very messy. Have seen plenty dodgy crap around both areas and at times, its not the place you want to be...especially Eyre Square.. Unless you're on the session, there isn't a lot in Galway anyway imo. Even the shops are limited enough.

i'd take Limerick over Cork city center any night to be honest. Have seen way more fights and scum bags on Cork streets than I ever have in Limerick and there seems to be a growing army of junkies on the streets down there,.

William Street and Parnell street are the ones I really hate in Limerick. Apart from that not so bad. O'Connell Street/ Cruises Street are just visually terrible. Personally I think the scumbag factor in the city centre of Limerick has decreased....but then so too has the non scumbag factor.

bennyl10 wrote: »

Actually, you're right. Dublin is worse. But still not to take away from the scum element around Limerick ruining it for everyone else.

Luckily enough, the bad side of Limerick is not in the national media much anymore, so people probably don't take much notice of the low level of scobe knocking around.

It's kind of like going for a jog on your favourite route and having to dodge dog sh*t all the time. Sooner or later, you'l change route.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

seachto7 wrote: »
    Actually, you're right. Dublin is worse. But still not to take away from the scum element around Limerick ruining it for everyone else.

Luckily enough, the bad side of Limerick is not in the national media much anymore, so people probably don't take much notice of the low level of scobe knocking around.

It's kind of like going for a jog on your favourite route and having to dodge dog sh*t all the time. Sooner or later, you'l change route.

There is and always will be an element around the city, but they are not doing any where near the amount of harm you are claiming. They are on a par with most other cities, less than Dublin (for obvious reasons) more than Galway (but as discussed Galway has it's own problems with a completely different element) but along the same as any town with a wet house/methadone clinic and courthouse.

The Irish Independent's website (the most read news website in the country) carry a story about gangland Limerick every week, despite the fact that there hasn't been a gangland murder in the city for over 4 years. Another Dublin based national media outlet still refer to Limerick as Stab City.

Surely you are not suggesting that the media locally and nationally are turning a blind eye to crime here....that is sheer nonsense.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

Can we please keep any comments relevant and not compare which city is better. We don't want a bashing over and back thread again. Thanks

Was heading down Catherine Street this morning and my attention was taken from what I was doing by two people hanging out a window over that F.M.S House place. "Lend us a fag?" was the request. I simply shook my head and kept walking. I hear "mean bastard" audibly behind me (pronounced "mane bastard")

Now I don't smoke and moreover I'm asthmatic so if I did smoke then I could die. I just don't know what it is about me that convinces these people so strongly that I'm a smoker and I don't want to share. How can you tell just by looking at someone whether they have cigs or not? Irrespective of all that they just don't seem to get that they're taking the piss in the first place by asking a complete stranger for a freebie.

Even if I (a) wasn't asthmatic (b) was a smoker (c) had cigarettes and (d) was open to "lending" one then how the hell was I supposed to get it to them? Did they want me to go up two floors and hand them over? Or was I to stop and wait while they came down?

Absolute disgrace. They should have been grateful I didn't just ignore them (as I've seen other people do when tapped around the city). Someone needs to give these people a kick up the arse.

I dislike labelling them "scum" or something else pejorative but as it stands they're a blight on the city and they don't seem to be moving forward.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Was heading down Catherine Street this morning and my attention was taken from what I was doing by two people hanging out a window over that F.M.S House place. "Lend us a fag?" was the request. I simply shook my head and kept walking. I hear "mean bastard" audibly behind me (pronounced "mane bastard")

Now I don't smoke and moreover I'm asthmatic so if I did smoke then I could die. I just don't know what it is about me that convinces these people so strongly that I'm a smoker and I don't want to share. How can you tell just by looking at someone whether they have cigs or not? Irrespective of all that they just don't seem to get that they're taking the piss in the first place by asking a complete stranger for a freebie.

Even if I (a) wasn't asthmatic (b) was a smoker (c) had cigarettes and (d) was open to "lending" one then how the hell was I supposed to get it to them? Did they want me to go up two floors and hand them over? Or was I to stop and wait while they came down?

Absolute disgrace. They should have been grateful I didn't just ignore them (as I've seen other people do when tapped around the city). Someone needs to give these people a kick up the arse.

I dislike labelling them "scum" or something else pejorative but as it stands they're a blight on the city and they don't seem to be moving forward.

Talk about an OTT post.

You got asked for a fag. You could get asked for a smoke 3/4 times a day if you walk around any city center. I doubt they are too bothered about your asthma. There is a lot worse wrong with the city center than being asked for a fag by scumbags.

I didn't think it was OTT....we moved off of Henry Street/O'Curry Street onto these types of people in general. I don't like being verbally abused by these sorts when I'm going about my business. I get sick of the amount of times I get distracted by that crap.

My point about my asthma was that when I say I don't have a fag they get nasty and don't believe me. Bumming a fag when you can buy a pack for a tenner...sad. And it's always the same kinds of people that are usually causing other trouble.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭timesnewroman

Are you for real or is this a wind up? A fella asks you for a fag and you shake your head. I assume the bloke in question figures you have a cigarette and you just won't give him one - hence the response of "mean bastard". You're right though, it is a disgrace. :D

These people don't seem to be moving forward? Many street drinkers are chronic alcoholic's (often with other addiction issues) and live in sheltered accommodation and have no real expectancy from life. Maybe they could be enrolled in a jobbridge scheme? People tapping/begging on the street isn't a uniquely Limerick or even Irish experience. It happens the world over.

Advertisement