Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Henry Street/O Curry Street? What has gone wrong?

2»

Comments

Well it's kind of fcuking annoying when you don't smoke to be continually asked for one. Then you have to explain yourself and God knows how they'll take it. I find it intimidating that's all. And I know for sure that others feel the same. Also it has been known to be a tactic to distract you before someone might try to mug you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

My standard response for when I get asked for a lighter or a fag regardless of the person is "Sorry man, I don't smoke".

It's the truth and works 99% of the time.

Tell me about it mate. It doesn't work for me....I must look like a fcuking chimney or something. :D They come up to me as if I have about a hundred Lucky Strikes in one hand and a Zippo lighter in the other. Absolutely certain (for some reason) that I'm a smoker.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

I didn't think it was OTT....we moved off of Henry Street/O'Curry Street onto these types of people in general. I don't like being verbally abused by these sorts when I'm going about my business. I get sick of the amount of times I get distracted by that crap.

My point about my asthma was that when I say I don't have a fag they get nasty and don't believe me. Bumming a fag when you can buy a pack for a tenner...sad. And it's always the same kinds of people that are usually causing other trouble.

Give. Give. Give. Give me this. Give me that. You would love to say "f*ck off to the shop and buy your own like I have to", or else if you can't afford them, don't smoke, like most people.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 4,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. G

A few weeks ago I was in Limerick walking towards the train station past a couple of chippers and around the bend. As I walked around the bend I got this sent of weed. There were a bunch of women smoking cannabis on the street. I have never used/had any illegal drug and never will but I know what it smells like when I've smelt it abroad (not a smell you can forget, especially if it makes you dizzy). They were seriously asking for trouble. Then they have the guts to say "Do ya smell that!" to me as I was walking past them putting my head down trying not to breath it in. Smoking cannabis is illegal. Smoking outside a shop is illegal. And then doing something that disrupts the enjoyment of others in public is a public order offence. In front of CCTV above them.

Now that's scum. Look it's not just Limerick and the majority of people are law abiding, normal citizens but it would put me off going into town and makes the Crescent more attractive.

This sort of carry on I described just annoys me.

• Advertisement

There were a group of young lads smoking weed outside the courthouse last time I was down that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,382 ✭✭✭peckerhead

Galway is the countries party town, a destination for stags and hens and group piss ups etc a bit like Templebar, it has a carnival like atmoshpere up until about 11 o'clock from then on it gets particularly messy, just like Templebar, don't try to brush how messy it gets under the carpet, there is a reason why there is a massive garda presence in the city centre...this is not a reflection of Galway people, it is a reflection of the type of crowd Galway attracts. I feel sorry for the tourists who aren't used to that level of drunken carnage, most of them enjoy their stay but some of them must get rolled over.

Limerick's issues are not in the city centre, because there is CCTV all over it, the kind of people who you are referring to know this, there is a reason why there isn't a massive garda presence in the city centre, the vast majority of pubs (outside the Market Quarter that is) in the city centre do not employ bouncers for the same reason, not only is there not any trouble in the vast majority of those pubs there isn't even a hint of trouble...for me it makes Limerick an excellent town to go out in.

By virtue of the fact you compared Dublin to Limerick merely unmasks your motives or flaws in your objectivity, you may not even be aware of it, you, like most of the country have been literally pummelled with one particular narrative for 30/40 years, that narrative is deeply ingrained in people who can be hard wired to watch out for anything that looks remotely threatening, and then feel threatened by it. Reality is different tho, I am sure you can walk into hassle in Limerick, but the chances are very remote, do you honestly think that the Limerick Leader and Irish Independent wouldn't be reporting these incidents if they were occurring?

Is anyone else getting tired of these Limerick bashing threads...
    I've lived in all these cities, and Limerick for more than 20 years now. I like it just fine.

I don't for a minute think that the so-called "scumbag factor" is any higher in Limerick than in Dublin/Cork/Galway, but I have certainly never met people as unwilling to brook any criticism whatever of their city as I have in Limerick. It's like an enormous collective chip on their shoulder that they just don't want to get over.

Slag off their city to a Dub, a Galwegian or a Corktonian and they'll generally return the compliment in fairly good humour. Criticise Limerick to a Limerick person and you've made
    an enemy (as I inadvertently have, on a couple of occasions, something I guess I'll just have to live with... )

This wasn't a "Limerick-bashing" thread; rather a comment on a (widely remarked) sudden rise in antisocial behaviour in a particular area of the city. If it were about a street in Cork or Galway I don't think it would have elicited the same reaction, somehow.

Just saying.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭RINO87

I live in the area, it's gone pretty downhill very quickly, as in the last two months. Just last week I had to stop a local 'lady of the night' from entering my building, she eventually gained access and was knocking on doors inside the building offering 'massages' for 30 quid. I managed to throw her outside the main door buy she got back in to the courtyard area and began knocking on windows. Door to door hoors, I wonder is this a new enterprise from flawless marketing down the street?!!

I also hear the "ladies of the night" are enticing blokes back to apartments under the guise of "ladies of the night", then have a welcoming committee to rob them when they get back there. Obviously it goes unreported to the gardai...

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭LimerickCity

I've lived in the city all my life and would consider myself fairly streetwise when it comes to dealing with and avoiding the less fortunate members of our society.

After reading through the entire thread one word which i have failed to come across is "intimidation".

Whilst for the most part the majority of these persons will not bother you other than to ask for some spare change or a cigarette there is always going to be one or two aggressive types who unfortunately stereotype the lot of them.

My wife refuses to walk O'Connell street between the junction of Supermacs and the junction of AIB after the shops close and i don't say i blame her.

For most of the evening there are strung out loud aggressive and intimidating junkies sat outside the Centra and Abra. Bombed out of their heads, roaring and shouting and willing to have a hop off anyone waiting to challenge them. An accident waiting to happen.

I wouldnt want my mother walking there on her own either.

As some have said its the same for most other towns/cities but let us clean up our own city before we start comparing ourselves to Dublin/Cork/Galway etc. People is glasshouses.

The main issue for me is that you are more likely to see a junkie on any street at any time in Limerick. In my experience you dont find elsewhere in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,515 ✭✭✭Silentcorner

peckerhead wrote: »
    I've lived in all these cities, and Limerick for more than 20 years now. I like it just fine.

I don't for a minute think that the so-called "scumbag factor" is any higher in Limerick than in Dublin/Cork/Galway, but I have certainly never met people as unwilling to brook any criticism whatever of their city as I have in Limerick. It's like an enormous collective chip on their shoulder that they just don't want to get over.

Slag off their city to a Dub, a Galwegian or a Corktonian and they'll generally return the compliment in fairly good humour. Criticise Limerick to a Limerick person and you've made
    an enemy (as I inadvertently have, on a couple of occasions, something I guess I'll just have to live with... )

This wasn't a "Limerick-bashing" thread; rather a comment on a (widely remarked) sudden rise in antisocial behaviour in a particular area of the city. If it were about a street in Cork or Galway I don't think it would have elicited the same reaction, somehow.

Just saying.

Well the OP clearly stated that it was a Limerick bashing thread.

You have made a number of valid points, about other cities and the "scumbag factor" and the reaction to what you could call friendly banter in those cities, but what you are not factoring into the equation is exactly where does the line exist between friendly banter and outright stigmatization...none of the cities you mentioned (or indeed any other city that I am aware of) are not labelled with a disgusting nickname (which is what Stab City is) and haven't had to live with the many consequences of that nickname.

I can genuinely understand what you may feel to be an element of over reaction to what you would call friendly banter, and I am sorry to hear that you lost a couple of friends because of it, it is one of the consequences of that outright stigmatization.

I am sick to the teeth of putting up with what people believe to be friendly banter, asking me if I have ever stabbed someone (because I'm from Limerick) is not funny at all, at any level, it is insulting...and I have had to put with that kind of crap far beyond this island... if I can draw a parallel, I am sure women are sick to death of walking down streets and being shouted at or whistled at...none of which can be described as friendly banter....and I also believe that women who stand up for themselves do not have a chip on their shoulder....

I have been accused of having a chip on my shoulder on this forum, I am reading Tom Gilmartin's book (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tom_Gilmartin_(businessman) ), in it he was described as having a chip on his shoulder (by guards/politicians/press)when he began cooperating with the Mahon Tribunal in the early days....it seems to be the default defense of the abuser....I have said it is a meaningless cliche...it could also be described as the first sign of guilt...

@Silentcorner. Never mind what other people are saying about Limerick. My issue is with what was once a nice area that is now full of scumbags wandering around day and night intimidating people. It's the same in upper Catherine St (but not as bad).

You seriously cannot be comparing what happened Tom Gilmartin with this thread.

seachto7 wrote: »
    @Silentcorner. Never mind what other people are saying about Limerick. My issue is with what was once a nice area that is now full of scumbags wandering around day and night intimidating people. It's the same in upper Catherine St (but not as bad).

You seriously cannot be comparing what happened Tom Gilmartin with this thread.

I have no problem with legitimate complaints of anti social behaviour which this whole island is blighted with, I have a problem when that issue is blown out of proportion...it is tiring...you began this thread with a clearly presented theme by calling it a Limerick bashing thread, then flowed the usual extremes.

Unfortunately we do have to worry about what people are saying about Limerick, what you don't see when you are walking around the city centre are the people/tourist/students who are too terrified to even enter the city, there are even Limerick people who have bought into that (hence the extremes), if they were there (that's is who you see when you are walking around other cities) then the issue dissappears or seems much smaller, like it does whenever the city is packed.

I mentioned Tom Gilmartin and women being abused on the street as examples of people who have been accused of having a chip on their shoulders...it's straight forward enough.

I have no problem with legitimate complaints of anti social behaviour which this whole island is blighted with, I have a problem when that issue is blown out of proportion...it is tiring...you began this thread with a clearly presented theme by calling it a Limerick bashing thread, then flowed the usual extremes.

Unfortunately we do have to worry about what people are saying about Limerick, what you don't see when you are walking around the city centre are the people/tourist/students who are too terrified to even enter the city, there are even Limerick people who have bought into that (hence the extremes), if they were there (that's is who you see when you are walking around other cities) then the issue dissappears or seems much smaller, like it does whenever the city is packed.

I mentioned Tom Gilmartin and women being abused on the street as examples of people who have been accused of having a chip on their shoulders...it's straight forward enough.

Are you saying I have a chip on my shoulder which is why I created this thread? Ok then, there is nothing wrong in the city centre. It's great. The best city in Ireland. Nothing to see here. :confused:

I didn't blow anything out of proportion. It is fact what is going on up around Henry St, a once grand area.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Are you saying I have a chip on my shoulder which is why I created this thread? Ok then, there is nothing wrong in the city centre. It's great. The best city in Ireland. Nothing to see here. :confused:

I didn't blow anything out of proportion. It is fact what is going on up around Henry St, a once grand area.

I am not saying you have a chip on your shoulder, I was responding to a poster who suggested that people in Limerick have an "enormous chip on our shoulders"...

Nobody is suggesting there is nothing wrong in the city centre, to suggest such a thing would be ridiculous, for two reasons, one it is clearly not the case, and two, it would suggest that the entire country is perfect, as the problems elsewhere are similar to Limerick problems....but instead of bashing Limerick your energy would be better placed bashing the political system as that is the root cause of the problems you highlighted, by focusing on Limerick you are exacerbating a different localized issue, the one which causes the extremes. Remember, Limerick's problems are Irish problems, just like Dublin's /Corks/Waterfordss/Galways problems etc.

I am focusing on Limerick because it is the Limerick forum. I don't care about Dublin or Galway or Cork.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭1huge1

Mr. G wrote: »
    A few weeks ago I was in Limerick walking towards the train station past a couple of chippers and around the bend. As I walked around the bend I got this sent of weed. There were a bunch of women smoking cannabis on the street. I have never used/had any illegal drug and never will but I know what it smells like when I've smelt it abroad (not a smell you can forget, especially if it makes you dizzy). They were seriously asking for trouble. Then they have the guts to say "Do ya smell that!" to me as I was walking past them putting my head down trying not to breath it in. Smoking cannabis is illegal. Smoking outside a shop is illegal. And then doing something that disrupts the enjoyment of others in public is a public order offence. In front of CCTV above them.

Now that's scum. Look it's not just Limerick and the majority of people are law abiding, normal citizens but it would put me off going into town and makes the Crescent more attractive.

This sort of carry on I described just annoys me.

To be completely honest, I'd be much less intimidated being around people in the city who are smoking cannabis than those who are drinking alcohol. Legal or not. But that is a debate for a different day

• Registered Users Posts: 592 ✭✭✭wotswattage

1huge1 wrote: »
    To be completely honest, I'd be much less intimidated being around people in the city who are smoking cannabis than those who are drinking alcohol. Legal or not. But that is a debate for a different day

There is a huge difference between cannabis smokers in general and the people mentioned in this thread who openly smoke on the side of the street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,635 ✭✭✭Pumpkinseeds

1huge1 wrote: »

I've seen groups of young lads openly smoking cannabis at the main entrance to Arthurs Quay on several occasions, mostly on Fridays. They would be the archetypal tracksuit bottoms tucked into white socks scumbag types and can be quite intimidating to pass. Sometimes I'll just go to the other entrance instead of walking past them.

Don't even get me started on this "Regeneration" crap. Johnsgate used to be a lovely place (we had temporary accommodation there one time while the builders were in). Now when I go past John's Square there's neer do wells hanging around outside "Sean's Shop" constantly. Used to be a lovely place but they must have just gave them a house and lumped them in there and left them at it.

Same thing in Edward Street and out by Rhebogue. It used to be that you knew the dangerous areas before and could take precautions (like avoiding it! :D). Now you don't know where they are. Except when you spot them hanging outside their house constantly. ****wits don't seem to realise they're the only house doing it and they showing themselves for what they are.

There's probably some clown draftsman on the Limerick Corporation who is thinking these policies up and then heading back home to their mansion out in Adare safe and sound.

It's annoying when you have to pass the same crowd everyday and they're all just loitering around the front of their house like dealers.

I take a walk from the city out to UL every now and then. As soon as you come to the University and towards Castletroy the people are lovely. At pedestrian crossings the cars stop before you even get near the road. Come back in towards the city e.g near the Parkway and you're taking your life in your hands using a pedestrian crossing.

It's like there's some sort of demarcation around the Groody roundabout where good and evil meet!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,126 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

I take a walk from the city out to UL every now and then. As soon as you come to the University and towards Castletroy the people are lovely. At pedestrian crossings the cars stop before you even get near the road. Come back in towards the city e.g near the Parkway and you're taking your life in your hands using a pedestrian crossing.

It's like there's some sort of demarcation around the Groody roundabout where good and evil meet!

Seriously? I've read some drivel on here, but this takes the biscuit. You think the people of Castletroy drive differently to the people in the city?
    I think you'll find the difference is that the Parkway roundabout is one of the busiest and most overwhelmed junctions in Limerick, while there are no busy junctions in Castletroy. Do you honestly think that people from Castletroy never use the Parkway roundabout?

I think out by Castletroy there are a better standard of people and this is reflected in certain things one of which is driving styles. Yes there are busy junctions out that way for example the roundabout by Chawkes.

You don't seem to get what I wrote. Let me spell it out for you. Up by the Childer's Road and the Parkway then the ilk that are around there (and driving around there) don't give a damn about you....head out to Castletroy and they're far more mannerly.

What I'm trying to fcuking explain to you is that it's a better area. I've experienced this on my walks when interacting with motorists. What can't you understand? Do you want me to use a crayon?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

I think out by Castletroy there are a better standard of people and this is reflected in certain things one of which is driving styles. Yes there are busy junctions out that way for example the roundabout by Chawkes.

You don't seem to get what I wrote. Let me spell it out for you. Up by the Childer's Road and the Parkway then the ilk that are around there (and driving around there) don't give a damn about you....head out to Castletroy and they're far more mannerly.

What I'm trying to fcuking explain to you is that it's a better area. I've experienced this on my walks when interacting with motorists. What can't you understand? Do you want me to use a crayon?

LOL.

Well you got me An File ..I have no idea what you're trying to say. I should say that I don't live in Castletroy but in a slightly crappy area of the city centre. So I'm not saying that I'm better because I live in Castletroy.

Regeneration. A money scam! A disaster. Ask some of the people out in Murroe what they think of it.
    90% of those who have been rehoused are fine, 10% transported their problems to areas where those problems didn't really exist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Mod Post: Keep the thread civil folks, and lets not have it turn into a discussion about other parts of the city/county. The thread topic is pretty clear and should be easy enough to follow for all those interested in discussing it.

I do not want to see any more attempts at winding posters up, or anything that strays towards attacking the poster rather than attacking the post.

Have spoken to two posters via PM already, and would prefer if all of you could argue your points in a civil manner rather than you trying to find a way to insult one another.

A heated debate/exchange of opinions is fine and is to be encouraged imo, but anything that heads into overly abrasive territory will not be tolerated.

Advertisement