Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Aldi Wildlife Camera

• 17-06-2014 1:26pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭

Hi

I saw one of these cameras being used on Living The Wildlife and thought that I must pick one up some day. Aldi have them for €90 on Thursday. Would these be any good or would I be better off to pay more and pick up one from another company. I don't need top of the range but I would like something decent

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

WHL wrote: »
    Hi

I saw one of these cameras being used on Living The Wildlife and thought that I must pick one up some day. Aldi have them for €90 on Thursday. Would these be any good or would I be better off to pay more and pick up one from another company. I don't need top of the range but I would like something decent

This is a different model to the ones they sold before, it has better video quality and has audio. It should be fine.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,249 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I would suspect that the inclusion of daylight only footage in the demo video would be strongly suggestive of the camera's low light capabilities.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭WHL

I would suspect that the inclusion of daylight only footage in the demo video would be strongly suggestive of the camera's low light capabilities.

Thanks for the inputs. Any idea what I would need to pay for one with good low-light capability

Thanks for the inputs. Any idea what I would need to pay for one with good low-light capability

None of the cheaper ones have brilliant low-light capability. Unless you want to spend €100's, the Aldi cam will be as good as any of the budget models.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Hi

Go for it, I've had a lot of fun with my older models, great footage of a Sika Stag that regularly visits my garden plus lots of other comings and goings. At the moment it's on a tree outside a Fox den with lots of daylight coverage of mother and cubs and I have another one monitoring an owl box (from a distance)...

As said at low light level it's not great but perfectly acceptable, shutter speed is not great also and there is obviously an audible sound when a photo is taken but only the deer seem to notice :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 538 ✭✭✭WHL

Thanks guys. I will pick one up tomorrow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I bought one today and have just set it up so too early to offer an opinion on the pics/video. It does however, look pretty good, instructions very clear and lots of menu options. Seems sturdy enough too. Can't wait to see what it picks up tonight!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone get this??

whats the built in microphone like? does it pick up sound well

After using these for a while, what do people think about these cameras?

I have a feeling the sensor for nightime viewing may affect the subject- this fox, for example seems to be startled- I didn't edit this- it starts as you see it:

Still delighted I got a fox (although my hens are going into lockdown as a result)

^^^^

There is a filter that swings across the lens when in night time mode, this creates an audible noise which the fox probably heard. I haven't tried it but you can disable the filter (and void the warranty in the process), not sure how this effects image quality though. They didn't fit a filter for no reason.

I bought one of these new Aldi cams and it certainly seems to be better all round from the older model. Sturdier build, HD video, audio and it looks like better night time performance.

• Advertisement

Ah- thanks for that- I haven't tripped it at night and couldn't hear anything during the day. That would explain it.

Advertisement