Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

belly sleeping

Options
  • 17-06-2014 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭

I know they recommend babies to sleep on there back. But how bad is it for them to sleep on there belly?

My little girl had reflux and at its worst the only thing that helped was been on her belly. Now she only sleeps that way.

My little guy as soon as he could roll only slept on belly too and I spent a week flipping him back but never lasted more than 10 minutes..

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Stomach sleeping is the highest risks for Sudden infant death, but everything in life has some degree of risk. The age of the baby also makes a difference, sudden deaths peak between 2 and 4 months of age. Smoking around them, temperature etc... Maybe it would put yr mind at ease to minimise all the other risk factors?

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭ameee

My six month old will only sleep on her tummy, we put her in on her back but she flips straight over so nothing we can do about it. We have a movement monitor on her so that makes me feel a tiny bit better about it also she is in our room so we can keep anrye on her

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I went with once they can roll let them sleep how they wish - I was of the belief (could be wrong) that one of the issues with belly sleeping was they cannot roll if their mouth is covered by a sheet and they cannot breath.

Also I love the motion sensor

• Registered Users Posts: 1,773 ✭✭✭Synyster Shadow

We keep the bedroom temp down low as best as possible and neither of us ever smoked.. I don't know how to get her out of her comfort habit.

I think my son started at 12 weeks she started at 4 weeks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

My daughter would only sleep on her tummy. She slept on me for the first 12 weeks and when we moved her into the Moses basket I couldn't get her to sleep on her back or side. One morning she was in bed beside me and I accidentally turned her on to her tummy. She was asleep and stayed asleep for about 5 hours. That's when I realised she wanted to sleep on her tummy. I was petrified as I know the SIDS risks but what do you do if it's the only way your baby will sleep? Obviously I never told the phn! Now she's 13 months and she still goes to sleep on her tummy but rolls over to her back later.

I kept her beside me until she was 11 months and I wouldn't have moved her out of our room until she was able to roll over herself. She was born with amazing head and neck control so from very early she was able to lift her head off the mattress.

A friends daughter had awful reflux and she did a lot of research and then started putting her daughter on her tummy but lying at an incline so her head was slightly higher. The phn basically told her it was on her head if something went wrong but she had a baby that never slept and screamed all night.

• Advertisement

Well she's an all night sleeper I'm not gonna disrupt it. She just has her comforts. She's on her belly and the head of it is elavated.. I've done as much as possible to help prevent anything happening but I'll always worry

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

We had awful trouble trying to get our Little One to sleep on her back. She just wouldn't settle or if she did it was only when we rocked the buggy or were out for a walk. As soon as we stopped either she would wake. It was only after (many) unsuccessful attempts of getting her to sleep more than 20 minutes at a time that we went with her sleeping on her tummy. And we have never looked back!! She slept!! We were quite nervous the first few times she slept on her tummy for obvious reasons. Our PHN commented about the risks also but left us to it when we told her that this was the only way she would sleep. Now she's nearly 11 months old and her preferred sleeping position is on her tummy with legs tucked under her and bum in the air.

At the end of the day, I would say whatever works for you is the best option.

Yep we've given up trying to change her.. She hates been any other way except belly.. I watch her like a hawk but she's happy and sleeps 14 hours with bum in the air too.. So cute

Her belly sleeping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,816 ✭✭✭Suucee

Awh that's as cute. she's so tiny.

• Advertisement

She's great bless her.. Not happy today after jabs yesterday though.. She's so much bigger than her brother at that age

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭Slicemeister

I'd feel a lot better knowing her knees are tucked under her though. No reason except less if any pressure on her internal organs. May be way off.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭lang

Her belly sleeping

That's pretty much identical to how our Little One slept. It only gets cuter the older they get. We find her in all sorts of contorted positions now. It was like a light-bulb going off when we just gave in and let her sleep on the belly.

Yea I couldn't fight it she needed the sleep as much as we did.. 14 hours each night she'll sleep.. I wake her every morning

Yea I couldn't fight it she needed the sleep as much as we did.. 14 hours each night she'll sleep.. I wake her every morning

14 hrs. :eek: I don't like you anymore. :P

That's when I wake her.. I swear she'd sleep all day.. Has 3 hour nap in middle of the day and few cat naps too.. I should ask phn can't be normal

Nah I wouldn't worry to much once she's feeding enough. My daughter was great sleeper too from very young (still is actually) but hungry chops not so good.

Yea she feeds better than her brother. Think its a mix of been bigger than him and feeding more formula fewer times than he did.. He was a 3-4 ounce every 3 hours baby until 6 months she has four 8 ounce bottles most days

Ha you just described my 2 only my girl was the 3-4oz every 3 hrs but slept the night where as baba has 5 8oz bottles and sometimes still doesn't sleep the night.

Its true every baby is different first baby was tricky sleeper second fantastic..

• Advertisement
Advertisement