Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

romantic stuff to do in new york

Options
  • 17-06-2014 2:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭

any particularly romantic stuff to do you guys can recommend?
    any romantic restaurants to go to??

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,299 ✭✭✭✭MadsL

http://www.urbanspoon.com/c/3/New-York-restaurants.html

• Registered Users Posts: 25,445 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Top of the Rock(efeller centre) is a popular spot to pop the question so best avoided if that's not part of the plan!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

When myself and my girlfriend we there last year we walked across the Brooklyn bridge at night. We got the subway out to Brooklyn and walked back to Manhattan.

A few dinners in Soho would be nice too.

• Registered Users Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Answering this would depend on your age, tastes, and the kind of occasion. I'd recommend a different place to a couple in their 50s than one in the 20s or 30s. Among all the good stuff there are tons of bad tourist restaurants in nyc, even in nice neighborhoods like the West Village and Soho. A good site to check on what the locals think of restaurants is chowhound.com

Some I like are:

Vinnegar Hill in Dumbo Brooklyn. Very atmospheric 'New American' with a cozy room and a nice garden out back. Excellent food. Hip 30 something brooklyn crowd. Meal for two with wine $120+

The Modern at the Museum of Modern Art - Midtown Manhattan. Amazing room looking onto MOMA's sculpture garden. Amazingly presented food, semi-formal dining room with a crowd that skews older. Meal for two with wine $150+.

Alta - Greenwich Village. High end tapas in a very nice setting in a townhouse in Greenwich Village. Meal for two with wine $100+

La Lanterna di Vittorio - Greenwich Village. Beautiful interior and great back garden. Decent pizza and pasta, very affordable considering its location. Meal for two with wine $80+.

Eleven Madison Park - Madison Square. Disclaimer - I haven't been here because I'm just too cheap. If this is a VERY special romantic occasion and you are willing to spend $300+ on a meal this is the place to do it right now. Amazing room and considered by many to be the best food in the city at the moment.

Some which are popular but aren't personal preferences:

The Spotted Pig (gastropub - good for a burger and a beer, not worth it beyond that)

The River Cafe (amazing view - bland hotel restaurant standard food)

Famous warhorses like La Grenouille, Jean Claude, Daniel. These restaurants are generally aimed at a slightly older and gastronomically conservative demographic. They all have some very good food but you will pay multiples of what you would pay in lesser known restaurants downtown.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭TingTong

coylemj wrote: »
    Top of the Rock(efeller centre) is a popular spot to pop the question so best avoided if that's not part of the plan!

I was gonna pop the question to my missus on top of the Empire State....I think she was expecting it up there. But when we got to the top I looked all round me at the crowds and thought it was a bit corny and cliched. So the next day we went down to Central Park and to the 'Imagine' memorial to John Lennon......this was the spot, not a soul around, just the squirrels and the spirit of JL urging me on.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,420 ✭✭✭✭athtrasna

I don't know how much it costs these days, it was $5 a few years ago but if you go into the Hershey shop on Times Square you can pay to have a message put up in lights on their sign. All the messages scroll for half an hour, depending on how busy it is you could be one of two or twenty messages but it's pretty special. You go to a desk in the middle of the shop. It's possible to do discreetly, my ex had no clue what I was up to.

Advertisement