Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Got my phone line but where's my broadband?

Options
  • 17-06-2014 2:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭

Hello,

I moved back to Ireland last week having spent the last 10 years living in England. I ordered Eircom Talk Off-Peak + eircom Broadband Advanced Unlimited on May 2nd and received a confirmation email that within 5-10 days my new phone line would be installed (into a house that has never previously had a phone line of any description) and approximately 5 days following that I would receive an Eircom router and information pack.

The phone line was eventually installed on May 27th but no router or information pack arrived. I moved into the house on Sunday 15th June.

I've made several calls to Eircom about this. 

Call 1 - June 16 approximately 8.40 AM: 
    I was informed that no Broadband had been ordered on this account. When I referred to the email I received from getmore@eircom.ie detailng that I had indeed ordered broadband, the story from the Customer service rep changed and I was told that the line had been tested twice and had failed for Broadband on both tests. This person then told me that a third test would be done and we would have the result within 24 hours.

Call 2 - June 17 approximately 8.10 AM: 
    I spoke to someone else and was told that no broadband line tests have ever been performed on this line. When I told the person I was speaking to that a test was due to be performed on the 16th she emailed her colleague looking for an update as we had no . I provided a mobile number to receive updates but have yet to receive a call today.

Call 3 - June 17th, approximately 12.30 PM: 
    I spoke to a third person who told me that he could see that the issue has been escalated to 'the guy who deals with escalations'. Once again I gave my number and asked for a callback to update me on the latest line test.

I need broadband for work, it's a contractual obligation with my employer that I have broadband and I've been badly let down by Eircom over this and a complete lack of communication from Eircom as to any issue with the service. I wouldn't mind so much if I only wanted broadband for watching the RTÉ player but this is my livelihood.

A couple of pointers:
    This is a brand new phone line for this property where there has never been a phone line before. I don't understand nor had it been explained to me when I asked, how the line can fail for broadband.

I live in the very centre of a country town where Eircom fibre was rolled out in May and my next-door neighbours have Eircom broadband as do my in-laws. It's not like I'm in the sticks here.

Can someone please explain what's happening here?

How can a brand new line into a house be incapable of supporting broadband in a town that has had Eircom broadband for years and where Eircom fibre has just rolled out?

Regarding the customer service reps on the phone. So far they have all been pleasant but the second and third persons I spoke to were more helpful and at least tried to provide further information when I requested it. 

I'll PM my account details to whoever asks for them and would really appreciate it if they could push the 'guy who deals with escalations' to see if I need an engineer visit to either replace the line that was installed if it wasn't broadband enabled or to determine what the issue is. 

As I say, this is my livelihood at stake. Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭eircom: Alan

r3nu4l wrote: »
    Hello,

I moved back to Ireland last week having spent the last 10 years living in England. I ordered Eircom Talk Off-Peak + eircom Broadband Advanced Unlimited on May 2nd and received a confirmation email that within 5-10 days my new phone line would be installed (into a house that has never previously had a phone line of any description) and approximately 5 days following that I would receive an Eircom router and information pack.

The phone line was eventually installed on May 27th but no router or information pack arrived. I moved into the house on Sunday 15th June.

I've made several calls to Eircom about this. 

Call 1 - June 16 approximately 8.40 AM: 
    I was informed that no Broadband had been ordered on this account. When I referred to the email I received from getmore@eircom.ie detailng that I had indeed ordered broadband, the story from the Customer service rep changed and I was told that the line had been tested twice and had failed for Broadband on both tests. This person then told me that a third test would be done and we would have the result within 24 hours.

Call 2 - June 17 approximately 8.10 AM: 
    I spoke to someone else and was told that no broadband line tests have ever been performed on this line. When I told the person I was speaking to that a test was due to be performed on the 16th she emailed her colleague looking for an update as we had no . I provided a mobile number to receive updates but have yet to receive a call today.

Call 3 - June 17th, approximately 12.30 PM: 
    I spoke to a third person who told me that he could see that the issue has been escalated to 'the guy who deals with escalations'. Once again I gave my number and asked for a callback to update me on the latest line test.

I need broadband for work, it's a contractual obligation with my employer that I have broadband and I've been badly let down by Eircom over this and a complete lack of communication from Eircom as to any issue with the service. I wouldn't mind so much if I only wanted broadband for watching the RTÉ player but this is my livelihood.

A couple of pointers:
    This is a brand new phone line for this property where there has never been a phone line before. I don't understand nor had it been explained to me when I asked, how the line can fail for broadband.

I live in the very centre of a country town where Eircom fibre was rolled out in May and my next-door neighbours have Eircom broadband as do my in-laws. It's not like I'm in the sticks here.

Can someone please explain what's happening here?

How can a brand new line into a house be incapable of supporting broadband in a town that has had Eircom broadband for years and where Eircom fibre has just rolled out?

Regarding the customer service reps on the phone. So far they have all been pleasant but the second and third persons I spoke to were more helpful and at least tried to provide further information when I requested it. 

I'll PM my account details to whoever asks for them and would really appreciate it if they could push the 'guy who deals with escalations' to see if I need an engineer visit to either replace the line that was installed if it wasn't broadband enabled or to determine what the issue is. 

As I say, this is my livelihood at stake. Thank you.
    Hi r3nu4l

I can understand your desire to have this resolved and our apologies that we cannot fully clarify the reasons for the delays this immediately but if you would like to PM me your eircom account or order number I will chase this up for you.

Thanks
    Al

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Just confirming that I sent a PM yesterday with all the necessary details and that you responded to say that you would try to resolve the issue and communicate back to me today.

Cheers

Just confirming that I sent a PM yesterday with all the necessary details and that you responded to say that you would try to resolve the issue and communicate back to me today.

Cheers
    Hi r3nu4l

Thanks for taking my call, the order is now placed (ref number 6496739CH) and I've sent this for escalation. Let me know if you have any further queries on this :)

Al

Hi Al, much appreciated, I'll let you know how it goes and get back to you if there are any issues. Cheers.

Hi Al, much appreciated, I'll let you know how it goes and get back to you if there are any issues. Cheers.
    Thanks r3nu4l

Al

• Advertisement

Thanks r3nu4l

Al

Hi Al, last time we spoke you advised that my modem and info pack would arrive on Friday or Monday. It didn't arrive yesterday and when I rang Eircom I was told that it would arrive today at the latest. The post had been and gone and all I got was a letter thanking me for continued loyalty AND a new broadband order number.

This should not be a new order. I have the original email dated May 2nd with a single order number for phone and broadband.

I appreciate your efforts so far but the problem is still persisting.

I am now requesting a link to the Eircom code of conduct so I can begin the ComReg complaint process as I have escalated my complaint and it hasn't been resolved.

We are now at day 53 in the ordering process for what was promised by Eircom to be a 10-15 day process.

Thanks r3nu4l

Al

Hi Al, last time we spoke you advised that my modem and info pack would arrive on Friday or  Monday. It didn't arrive yesterday and when I rang Eircom I was told that it would arrive today at the latest. The post had been and gone and all I got was a letter thanking me for continued loyalty AND a new broadband order number.

This should not be a new order. I have the original email dated May 2nd with a single order number for phone and broadband.

I appreciate your efforts so far but the problem is still persisting.

I am now requesting a link to the Eircom code of conduct so I can begin the ComReg complaint process as I have escalated my complaint and it hasn't been resolved.  

We are now at day 53 in the ordering process for what was promised by Eircom to be  a 10-15 day process.

Hi r3nu4l

I understand your feelings and I'm sure this can be confusing however the process involved in getting broadband requires two order numbers - The first one for the installation of the line and the second for the broadband itself - as advised on my phone call to you last week there were a number of issues surrounding your line being tested and qualified for broadband although I did manage to resolve theses issues and place the second order in which I had included the order number in my post above following my call to you.

I can confirm that the engineer has now been to the exchange to enable your line for broadband and the broadband order (6496739CH) is now complete. All that is required is the attachment of a modem to your socket.

I see from notes on your account that an attempt of modem delivery has been made at 11am today however there was nobody available to sign for it. The modem is now located at your post office for collection.

The following link will bring you to the code of practice & should you wish to contact comreg this is ultimately your decision to do so :

http://support.eircom.net/article/codeofpractice

Thanks
    Al

Hi All. Thanks for the update. As I have to work elsewhere due to the lack of broadband I can't be in the house all the time and unfortunately my wife was also out. I guess An Post must deliver the modem package sepetately to letters because it wasn't delivered with the post this morning. I did ask the person I spoke to at Eircom yesterday if this would be the case but they did not know.

I will collect the modem later and get back to you if I have queries. As the complaint may soon be resolved I'm sure you are aware that ComReg will probably not deal with it. My main priority now is getting it up and running so that my employer is satisfied that I am fulfilling my contractual obligations.

Once again, thanks for your help and effort. Fingers crossed it works out.

Hi All. Thanks for the update. As I have to work elsewhere due to the lack of broadband I can't be in the house all the time and unfortunately my wife was also out. I guess An Post must deliver the modem package sepetately to letters because it wasn't delivered with the post this morning. I did ask the person I spoke to at Eircom yesterday if this would be the case but they did not know.

I will collect the modem later and get back to you if I have queries. As the complaint may soon be resolved I'm sure you are aware that ComReg will probably not deal with it. My main priority now is getting it up and running so that my employer is satisfied that I am fulfilling my contractual obligations.

Once again, thanks for your help and effort. Fingers crossed it works out.

Hi r3nu4l

Yes, the modem is delivered by courier but it's now waiting at the post office to be picked up. I've tested things from my side and everything looks fine and ready to go once the modem is attached - I do apologise for all the inconvenience this has caused to date however should you have any further concerns or queries please do not hesitate to get back in touch with me here - I'll be happy to help.

Al

Hi Al, just an update that I picked up the modem and have it connected and working with no issues. Thanks again for your help and the information provided. My employer is happy now (and I'm relieved). You can (thankfully) mark this one resolved. :)

• Advertisement

Hi Al, just an update that I picked up the modem and have it connected and working with no issues. Thanks again for your help and the information provided. My employer is happy now (and I'm relieved). You can (thankfully) mark this one resolved. :)
    Hi r3nu4l

It's great to hear this, I'm glad both yourself and your employer are happy however if there are any queries/issues I can help you with in the future please feel free to get back in touch with me :)

Al

Advertisement