Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you like the Government to do in the private rental market?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Property tax is taken from DSP payments, there is no exemption.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,664 ✭✭✭makeorbrake

Why the need to move to a "slum"?

Section 23 Land. These are not slums - but areas with very recently built housing - with not a soul to use them. They used to do an rural resettlement scheme back in the day. Can this not be re-started?

Before people start flaming me with outrage, there has to be a balance between peoples social housing needs and the interests of the tax payers and the people of the state as a whole. There is nothing stopping someone from moving away again when they have secured employment ...whether that be back in Dublin...or where-ever.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

See details on LPT exemptions here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/exemptions.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,439 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

If you're a home owner on benefits, isn't the charge stayed until you're able to get another job?

See info on deferring LPT here:

http://www.revenue.ie/en/tax/lpt/deferring-payment.html

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Why on earth should it be?

Property is a form of wealth, and the whole point is that it's a wealth tax.

A situation like that would be yet another disincentive to getting work.

What should happen (but probably doesn't 'cos we're just not that clever) is that there are some circumstances where a property owner gets a payment holiday or slow-down - secured against the value of the property when it's sold.

Either you misunderstood me. Or I didn't make myself clear. I did not say the tax shouldn't be paid at all. I thought there might be a way to defer payment if you're suffering hardship like The Morrigan below.

Seems there might be a way to defer as below.
    Geuze wrote: »

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,368 ✭✭✭The_Morrigan

Either you misunderstood me. Or I didn't make myself clear. I did not say the tax shouldn't be paid at all. I thought there might be a way to defer payment if you're suffering hardship like The Morrigan below.

Seems there might be a way to defer as below.
    Oh yeah with an additional penalty interest rate...I'll stick to my weeks of living on cereal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,411 ✭✭✭ABajaninCork

Instant diet if nothing else! ;)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 22,384 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Alot of people focusing on deposits. I wouldn't see this as a big issue as there is already a mechanism in place to deal with them so it is in effect already dealt with. We discussed a government holding company for deposits before and the general consensus was that it would probably not be a good idea.

• Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Something needs done to encourage the building of quality apartments inside, or just slightly outside the M50.

Rent prices are getting crazy. The rental value of my apartment has increased by 250 euro a month since this time 12 months ago.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 433 ✭✭lolosaur

awec wrote: »
    Something needs done to encourage the building of quality apartments inside, or just slightly outside the M50.

Rent prices are getting crazy. The rental value of my apartment has increased by 250 euro a month since this time 12 months ago.

People dont want an apartment that overlooks a motorway. they want an apartment that is close to the city, walking distance to work, gives them the freedom to do as they please with minimal fuss. throwing apartments at the problem is not the answer.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,843 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

lolosaur wrote: »
    People dont want an apartment that overlooks a motorway. they want an apartment that is close to the city, walking distance to work, gives them the freedom to do as they please with minimal fuss. throwing apartments at the problem is not the answer.

Huh?

There are loads of apartments in Dublin near the m50. They don't all overlook the motorway.

When I said "inside the m50", I meant close to the city.

I am not sure how it's not the answer either - rents are going up because demand is higher than supply. Some of this is no doubt down to wannabe buyers not finding property to buy, and also the fact that more and more people are relocating to Dublin for work from Monday - Friday and have no interest in buying in the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭Dredd_J

Landlords are now being encouraged not to accept rent allowance and that if they rent to SW to only accept the social welfare as the tenant.
    ie SW rents the apartment and is 100#% responsible for it. They can sublet to their "clients" but any damage etc is between them and their client. Not the landlord and the SWs client.

So then the SW cant anymnore put in anyone and not be responsible for them. The SW should pay the rent directly to the LL and not get away with washing their hands of their own problem tenants once they have discarded them on to some unsuspecting LL.

Im probably not explaining it to well. I read it on the property pin a few weeks ago, so go there and you should find it.

Advertisement