Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Speed traps.

Options
  • 17-06-2014 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Is there a legal requirement for Gardai to wear hi-vis jackets whilst doing speed traps? I was stopped doing 76kph in a 50 zone by a guard who stepped out onto the road from behind an unmarked car wearing just the navy colour uniform. It was a long straight stretch of road and we (my wife & 3 kids) were heading home after a nice day out. I was a safe distance from a car in front of me yet the guard stepped out, waved this car on and stopped me. I didn't know what was going on until I saw the cap & badge. She was lucky I didn't knock her down. Is there a legal requirement for them to wear Hi-vis during traffic duty/speed checks etc. So sneaky hiding behind an unmarked car with no hi-vis. It was like an ambush. Yes I was slightly over the limit. I had my family in the car and it was a long straight stretch of road in good conditions with almost no traffic.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Is there a legal requirement for Gardai to wear hi-vis jackets whilst doing speed traps? I was stopped doing 76kph in a 50 zone by a guard who stepped out onto the road from behind an unmarked car wearing just the navy colour uniform. It was a long straight stretch of road and we (my wife & 3 kids) were heading home after a nice day out. I was a safe distance from a car in front of me yet the guard stepped out, waved this car on and stopped me. I didn't know what was going on until I saw the cap & badge. She was lucky I didn't knock her down. Is there a legal requirement for them to wear Hi-vis during traffic duty/speed checks etc. So sneaky hiding behind an unmarked car with no hi-vis. It was like an ambush. Yes I was slightly over the limit. I had my family in the car and it was a long straight stretch of road in good conditions with almost no traffic.

Another person not wanting to take responsibility for breaking the law. If you were doing the speed limit there would have been no issue or any chance of knocking her down. You were 26km over the speed limit with your wife and kids in the car you just reckless or what? What if a child ran out in front of you? would you be complaining they didn't have a hi vis Jacket on when you have them crushed into the road?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭TheNog

Short answer is no a hi-viz is not a legal requirement.

As for the sneaky bit well if it was a marked car with a Garda very visible would you have maintained your speed? Most likely you would reduced your speed. Is that sneaky too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Slightly over the limit?
    Slightly over 50% of the speed limit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 David Duffy

Lambofdave wrote: »
    Another person not wanting to take responsibility for breaking the law. If you were doing the speed limit there would have been no issue or any chance of knocking her down. You were 26km over the speed limit with your wife and kids in the car you just reckless or what? What if a child ran out in front of you? would you be complaining they didn't have a hi vis Jacket on when you have them crushed into the road?

I could have put money that the first person who replied to this would be some numpty preaching about the law and the fact I was 'speeding' with my family in the car. I was asking for information on the regulations about Gardai wearing hi-vis jackets carrying out their duties, that's it! If you don't have that information **** off my post you tool! You don't know me, you don't know the full circumstances of the situation, you don't know where I was driving, how is drive, how long I have been driving or what my driving record is like. All you are is a sad ass who saw an opportunity to preach from the higher moral ground. Do you think for one second I would put my family at risk or anyone else's for that matter. And I have family who are guards and could get this quashed immediately. I don't want to get them involved so don't tell me I don't take responsibility for true law you sad bastard. **** off and get a life and stop trawling the internet for opportunities to drivel your pathetic holier than thou morals.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Jimmyie

any update ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,922 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

You were slightly over the limit 26KPH. You are not the only person on the roads the speed limits are not on the road for your discretionary pleasure. Imagine that was a child or something running across the road maybe at 50 KPH you would have seen them. Would your excuse have worked then. I have no sympathy for you. Could say more but be near a ban if I did

I could have put money that the first person who replied to this would be some numpty preaching about the law and the fact I was 'speeding' with my family in the car. I was asking for information on the regulations about Gardai wearing hi-vis jackets carrying out their duties, that's it! If you don't have that information **** off my post you tool! You don't know me, you don't know the full circumstances of the situation, you don't know where I was driving, how is drive, how long I have been driving or what my driving record is like. All you are is a sad ass who saw an opportunity to preach from the higher moral ground. Do you think for one second I would put my family at risk or anyone else's for that matter. And I have family who are guards and could get this quashed immediately. I don't want to get them involved so don't tell me I don't take responsibility for true law you sad bastard. **** off and get a life and stop trawling the internet for opportunities to drivel your pathetic holier than thou morals.

You were speeding with your wife and kids in the car what kind of circumstances could there be. And again 26KPH is not just over the speed limit.

You did put your family at risk do you not see that you were driving at an excessive speed if you were driving at the limit you may have seen the garda. Hi VIS is not required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

And I have family who are guards and could get this quashed immediately.

Ask the family about the requirements to wear a high-vis jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭ads20101

....... if you were driving at the limit you may have seen the garda. Hi VIS is not required.

But isn't that the point any Garda on the road needs to be aware of there own safety when on a public road. Yes, the op was obviously traveling too fast, but the Garda was there to enforce the law and catch perpetrators. Common sense sure dictates that you where hi vis clothing.

She could've been hurt.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Wilfork

In fairness, you are not just looking for information, you also tried to justify driving over the speed limit which invites people to give their views on whether you were right or wrong in your actions.

• Advertisement

ads20101 wrote: »
    But isn't that the point any Garda on the road needs to be aware of there own safety when on a public road. Yes, the op was obviously traveling too fast, but the Garda was there to enforce the law and catch perpetrators. Common sense sure dictates that you where hi vis clothing.

She could've been hurt.

I do agree with you

And I have family who are guards and could get this quashed immediately.

OP - you may want to read a newspaper or turn on the news today.

You might just have a rather unpleasant surprise.

I think your response is all the evidence people need to see as to what type of driver or person you are. Id rather be a person being called names then an idiot who drives reckless with kids in the car

ads20101 wrote: »

She could've been hurt.

Common sense also dictates that if its a 50km zone you drive 50km.

I don't disagree.

My point is that some idiots do break the law and people who uphold the law need to protect themselves too.

I suppose he means the garda should be wary of someone speeding. Somone who things he can drive annnd be okay at a bigger speed does not have that common ssense

Bets on when the OP gets an infringement / ban.

He's been a tad rude!

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

David. You are being very rude. You need to apologise to Lambofdave.

76 in a 50 is going a fair whack old bean. As to the Garda, they can wear a clown outfit. It's irrelevant, isn't it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

I was a safe distance from a car in front of me yet the guard stepped out, waved this car on and stopped me. I didn't know what was going on until I saw the cap & badge. She was lucky I didn't knock her down.

Okay, so you had time to observe the guard stepping out from behind her car, wave on the car in front of you, notice her cap and badge and safely stop your own car, and yet she was lucky you didn't knock her down?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

No obligation Im afraid. Whatsoever. Theres a little beangarda in Thurles who goes out on her bicycle, wears the hi vis but only so she can look like an ordinary cyclist and puts the gun under it while shes standing to look like shes adjusting something. Another fella hides behind a stone wall while one more has literally made a hole in the ditch for himself!!
    Theyll stay there honey trapping people accelerating out of the town into the 80 zone while arseholes have near free reign to hit 200+ on the motorway but thats just the way it is.

That said Im afraid you dont have a leg to stand on. Im going to go out on a limb and say it was an emergency. If so, go to court and raise that with the judge. You *might* get the points quashed or reduced to one but you will be fined regardless. Do not attempt to get help from your garda contacts on this. If the judge so much as smells you did theyll automatically double the points and treble the fine. (That day is long gone after recent revelations).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Theyll stay there honey trapping people accelerating out of the town into the 80 zone while arseholes have near free reign to hit 200+ on the motorway but thats just the way it is.

I have to agree on this. The speed traps on the way out of villages/towns is a bit nuts considering they never do it on main streets where some people still think they are on the open road. Our village is brutal for peope speeding outside the school, yet there are never traps there.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,276 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

No obligation Im afraid. Whatsoever. Theres a little beangarda in Thurles who goes out on her bicycle, wears the hi vis but only so she can look like an ordinary cyclist and puts the gun under it while shes standing to look like shes adjusting something. Another fella hides behind a stone wall while one more has literally made a hole in the ditch for himself!!

Schnakey revenue earning (or stripes earning?) exercise.

Stripes, Id imagine. Given that, thanks to the points system, theres only a finite amount of revenue you can extract.

Easy to stop the revenue. Guess what it is?

Easy to stop the revenue. Guess what it is?

I got this. Kill the guard that caught you?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Lucyn

[quote=And I have family who are guards and could get this quashed immediately.[/quote]

You absolutely cannot and they wouldn't be long telling you so and certainly wouldn't appreciate you going around saying that they would do that for you.

To use your own term of phrase.....numpty!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,280 ✭✭✭Riva10

You should know by now that only law abiding citizens will reply to your post when you admit to speeding or any other transgression of our laws. Boards.ie is populated by saints who never do any wrong.
    As to your question. I'm not 100% certain as to the regulations governing the wearing of a hi-viz but I would think it has to do with health and safety as opposed to a legal requirement

Riva10 wrote: »
    You should know by now that only law abiding citizens will reply to your post when you admit to speeding or any other transgression of our laws. Boards.ie is populated by saints who never do any wrong.

There is wrong and taking responsibility for it and there is wrong and taking no responsibility all the op was worried about was the fact the Garda wasn't wearing a Hi Vis jacket, why? what was he going to do if it was a legal requirement use it as a loop hole to get out of driving reckless?

Saints halos slip but they don't ignore the issues that caused the problem or look to negate the infraction they caused. Do you think 26km over the speed limit is ok?

As for the over the top aggressive reply to my original post there is no excuse, for it, but it makes me wonder does his aggressive attitude in the reply directly correlate to his aggressive driving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭DHFrame

As for the over the top aggressive reply to my original post there is no excuse, for it, but it makes me wonder does his aggressive attitude in the reply directly correlate to his aggressive driving.

He signed on to boards to ask this question. And his second post was a aggressive rant. Good start.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement