Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swaddling and this type of weather..

Options
  • 17-06-2014 4:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭

Luke is nearly 7 weeks old and will not sleep without being swaddled... the bedroom we sleep in catches the sun for most of the day and the room is consistently too warm so he's been sleeping in just a vest and being swaddled the last few nights but it really is too warm today... I'm starting to get worried about him being too warm, I've the windows open in the bedroom and they'll remain open all night but he really will not sleep without being swaddled...

Any tips?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Our room is south facing too. I closed all the blackout blinds this morning, opened the window a crack only. It's much cooler there now than it was yesterday. It was 28 degrees last night in there, I was worried she would overheat as well. With the blackout it's down to 23.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I'm wondering about this too. I swaddled Lilly last night but left all windows open. She sleeps in our room. She had a light baby gro on last night. Am thinking about just putting on a vest tonight? How about getting a fan? Then i spose id b worried it'd blow or something while we were sleeping.... I'm a worrier like that...

I I'm also thinking of putting her into a 1 tog gro bag with just a vest. I know it's not as snug as swaddling tho so not sure if she will sleep. Could this be an option for you January? Or have you tried a gro bag.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

pwurple wrote: »
    Our room is south facing too. I closed all the blackout blinds this morning, opened the window a crack only. It's much cooler there now than it was yesterday. It was 28 degrees last night in there, I was worried she would overheat as well. With the blackout it's down to 23.

Oh wow it's nothing near 28 degrees! It was up to 24 last night according to the room thermometer... I'm just going to do a vest and as light a swaddle as I can manage and see how that helps him... no black out blind and no grobags as yet.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

What about swaddling with a muslin? It'd provide the security but is very light and breathable.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Neyite wrote: »
    What about swaddling with a muslin? It'd provide the security but is very light and breathable.

That's a good idea. Mine is sleeping in a vest now, with a muslin as her grabbie-thing instead of a blanket (She always wants something to hold on to when she is sleeping).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

January wrote: »
    Luke is nearly 7 weeks old and will not sleep without being swaddled... the bedroom we sleep in catches the sun for most of the day and the room is consistently too warm so he's been sleeping in just a vest and being swaddled the last few nights but it really is too warm today... I'm starting to get worried about him being too warm, I've the windows open in the bedroom and they'll remain open all night but he really will not sleep without being swaddled...

Any tips?

I got one of these as a present www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00EHHZ8TU/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1403039513&sr=8-1&pi=SY200_QL40 (you can get them in tk maxx)
    Haven't used it yet but the plan was to use it during the summer! My room is so hot we have to sleep with window open, no grobags just 1 cellular blanket which he ends up kicking off but likes having it on him when he goes down.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

I swaddled my girls in very hot weather in just a nappy and a 'gro swaddle' it's different to the grobag and suitable up to 3 months or so - it's brilliant - I used mine every night as found it swaddled them better than just a cellular blanket so I'd put it on and then the cellular blanket swaddled over it!
    Some nights had them in just vest and in very hot just a nappy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

You can get large muslins in TKMaxx, might do the trick? I have every window upstairs open and he's in a long sleeve vest and 1 tog gro bag. It says the room is 24.2°C on my baby monitor at the moment. My house is freezing upstairs in the winter and cooking in the summer, it's a dormer bungalow and upstairs has no insulation. Problem is, I know the temp will drop during the night and I don't want him to be cold!

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭addob

I had this problem with my son when he was little and we went to Canada in the summer when it was in the high 30s.

He had to be swaddled for sleep so when he woke crying to be wrapped up I would swaddle him in only his nappy and a light cotton cloth or muslin.

Beware that it doesn't get too cold early morning when the temperature drops.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

It's over 27 degrees in his bedroom at the moment. :/ I've had every window in the house open most of the day. Going to put him to sleep in just a short-sleeve vest, maybe one cellular blanket. Will probably end up sleeping in there too, otherwise I'll only be constantly in checking on him!

Just looking up fans on Argos now (of course, they're probably all out of stock at the moment with the weather!), do ye reckon one of the small cheap desk fans would be any good at all in his room or would we have to invest in something bigger? Seems a pity to spend much when it'll only be used a few days of the year!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Just looking up fans on Argos now (of course, they're probably all out of stock at the moment with the weather!), do ye reckon one of the small cheap desk fans would be any good at all in his room or would we have to invest in something bigger? Seems a pity to spend much when it'll only be used a few days of the year!

You could use a small desk fan and put a small bowl of ice in front of it if you still think the room is too hot, but never point the fan directly at the cot as then the baby ends up sleeping in a draft which isn't good.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭lilmissprincess

I've put E down in his swaddle (one of the velcro ones) wearing just his nappy. He seems warm but not too warm. Won't sleep without swaddle.

Well I was worrying about the swaddling until I drove to Sligo today! She's back in her swaddle with a baby gro and extra cellular!
    Wish I had stayed in Dublin.... But at least not worried bout her overheating!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭IvyTheTerrible

Speaking from experience, just be aware that opening windows during the day will not neccessarily cool down rooms, especially if they are in direct sunlight and it's very warm outside. You would be better to close windows and curtains in that room once the sun is on that side, and open windows when it cools down at night.

(When I moved here first, I did the whole "It's sunny so must open the windows" thing, the temperature in the house goes at least as high as it is outside!)

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

Speaking from experience, just be aware that opening windows during the day will not neccessarily cool down rooms, especially if they are in direct sunlight and it's very warm outside. You would be better to close windows and curtains in that room once the sun is on that side, and open windows when it cools down at night.

(When I moved here first, I did the whole "It's sunny so must open the windows" thing, the temperature in the house goes at least as high as it is outside!)

I second this. I made the same mistake when I first moved here. Now all shutters and windows are closed during the day to keep the heat out. It helps a lot!

Advertisement