Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Free eye tests in cork?

Options
  • 17-06-2014 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

I haven't seen any posts anywhere about this. I know not many places do free eye tests but I've heard of them cropping up every now and then. For a typical 18 year old starting college in September, are there any opticians in Cork who would offer free eye tests?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,651 ✭✭✭Milly33

was it specsavers maybe they used to do them

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭54kroc

Are they usually only free when you buy a pair of glasses from them?
    Either way they're pretty cheap, around €30, if your really stuck for money I think the social welfare might help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭Tin Foil Hat

I got mine tested in Specsavers last weekend. I was charged €15.

http://www.specsavers.ie/offers/half-price-eye-tests

• Registered Users Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭curly from cork

There was a voucher in the cork independent paper last week which if I remember correctly gave you the specsavers test for €10

• Registered Users Posts: 924 ✭✭✭okedoke

specsavers are always doing offers but i think you are entitled to a free eye test if you pay PRSI

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

okedoke wrote: »
    specsavers are always doing offers but i think you are entitled to a free eye test if you pay PRSI

I was about to suggest the same but I think the OP is in the middle of looking for work atm.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭honerbright

Got a spec savers brochure through the letter box yesterday and there's a coupon in it for a free eye test. Didn't look of there were any terms to go with it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Got a spec savers brochure through the letter box yesterday and there's a coupon in it for a free eye test. Didn't look of there were any terms to go with it though.

yep, I have that brochure here on my desk, offer is valid for one test booked on or before July 31st. The usual other conditions like cannot be exchanged for cash etc. I'm going to try make a booking this weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

Just to follow up on this, i went for the eye test this morning and the offer doesn't cover those on PRSI or medical card. So i fail to see how this is an offer for the majority of people, maybe as a student you may benefit, otherwise it's just a cover for the Dept. Of Social Protection benefit. It screamed of a gimmick to get you into their shop and on their system.

Ok, so i pay for the test and lo & behold i need glasses. On cue a sales girl shows me the range of frames...no thanks, when the time comes I'll buy some reading glasses in a chemist.

Just be aware of this, not once did they ask why i was in for an eye test or how did i feel about the test results. It was all very implied that I'm in to get glasses and very rushed. I can see how they can make a killing from this approach.

As i said, perhaps I'm naive and was expecting too much from a large chain store who happen to sell frames!

Advertisement