Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed

Options
  • 17-06-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Hi folks,

I'd really appreciate some advice here. My wife and I separated last summer. We have 3 kids (ages 10,14,17). Soon after I moved out I got involved with a new lady who's expecting a baby in November (I know, it's nuts, scandalous, call it what you like) but we are where we are. My question is when and how should I tell my kids? My wife knows already and in fairness has been very good about it. Not happy obviously but a lot of women would have me shot. I'm really worried about how kids will take it especially the youngest. Any ideas? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

OP you may get a better answer in Parenting or Personal Issues as strictly speaking this isn't a Separation type of issue. I will leave it here for the moment (in case others here have had similar experiences) but if you do want it moved please let me know.

Taltos

• Registered Users Posts: 9 thedeer

Ok. Sorry about that! Can you move it please? Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Thread moved at OPs request. For anyone who has followed it here please read the local charter before posting, there will be differences.
    OP - best of luck.

Taltos

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,807 ✭✭✭✭Orion

I'd say it'll be the oldest who'll take it worst rather than the youngest. At 10 they are fairly pliable. The 17 year old could see it as a betrayal of his/her mother - and possibly the 14 year old too. I assume the kids know you're involved with another woman? If so, for the youngest one you just need to tell them (before they hear from someone else) that there's a brother/sister on the way and that it won't lessen your love for him. For the teenagers just be honest with them - that you're in a new relationship and you're having a child. Again stress it won't lessen your love for them but be prepared for the silent treatment or worse and take it on the chin.

Advertisement