Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Drunks should be treated in 'booze buses' to ease A&E overcrowding, nurses say

• 17-06-2014 4:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭

Drunks should be treated in booze buses parked in city centres or held in "drunk tanks" to stop overcrowding in NHS casualty units, nurses have said.
    The head of the Royal College of Nursing called for pilot schemes to be set up to relieve pressure on Accident & Emergency (A&E) units struggling to cope with high numbers of binge drinkers.
    Dr Peter Carter said too many casualty patients were being left in fear because they were surrounded by aggressive and bloodied drunks "careering around the place" after falling into fights.
    He spoke after nurses at the RCN's annual conference in Liverpool yesterday said drunks should be kept out of A&E because their intoxication was "no accident."
    Nurses said casualty units were under "intense pressure" from increasing numbers of drunk patients, with 2 million visits a year now linked to alcohol.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10903719/Drunks-should-be-treated-in-booze-buses-to-ease-AandE-overcrowding.html

I couldnt support that at all. It sounds right in theory, till you think, if you don't allow drunk people treatment, where do you then draw a line? What about people who get injuries or conditions partially or entirely caused by smokers? Druggies. Someone who goes on a night out and gets a bottle smashed in their face, should they be denied treatment? Surely the right thing is to sort out the health care and increase funding and health care capacity*

*I have indeed been in A&E on a Friday and a Saturday night, and no uits not always pleasant to have the joint full of drunk eejits or such and such. But specially in the UK(and here as well) its accident and emergency, not sensible accident and mishaps.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Papers ! Please

cloud493 wrote: »

I couldnt support that at all. It sounds right in theory, till you think, if you don't allow drunk people treatment, where do you then draw a line? What about people who get injuries or conditions partially or entirely caused by smokers? Druggies. Someone who goes on a night out and gets a bottle smashed in their face, should they be denied treatment?

Have a medical professional on the 'booze bus' to asses the situation. Obviously if they require medical attention send them to A&E. If their just drunk, let them sleep it off.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Drunk Prisons in Poland, bunged in there for the night and charged for the privilege the next day.
    Proper order.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭View Profile

Yep. Drunks who require AnE should receive a hefty fine the following day. That will learn em!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,798 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

In canada, the barman/server who served in is responsible for you until you sober up (in theory). Encourages bar staff not to keep serving someone who is clearly ****faced.

Wonder would something like that over here have any effect at curbing drunk injuries, rather than serving people who are clearly off their face?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

The amateur drinkers who need to attend A&E after an evening out should be named and shamed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

In Wales(maybe all the UK?) they give you a "yellow card" if you come to A&E for being drunk or on drugs. they still treat you.
    If you come in again for the same reason you get a "Red card" which means you have to make a court appearance.

I think that would improve things slightly. The above solution could work but I don't think drunks should be refused treatment at A&E. If these bus things were in the city center then people would naturally go there first
    Would 100% want some booze-drunk tank buses too

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 86 ✭✭Jimmyie

The amateur drinkers who need to attend A&E after an evening out should be named and shamed

No, that is stupid. We as humans, we all make mistakes, and why have this "name and shame", it creates this real negative slyness in the air.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

EyeSight wrote: »
    In Wales(maybe all the UK?) they give you a "yellow card" if you come to A&E for being drunk or on drugs. they still treat you.
    If you come in again for the same reason you get a "Red card" which means you have to make a court appearance.

I think that would improve things slightly. The above solution could work but I don't think drunks should be refused treatment at A&E. If these bus things were in the city center then people would naturally go there first
    Would 100% want some booze-drunk tank buses too

And what if both times you were the victim of an assault not due to your consumption of drink ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭EyeSight

And what if both times you were the victim of an assault not due to your consumption of drink ?
    Think about it. Obviously it's for self inflicted alcohol related injuries. The letter of the law would word it better than I did

• Advertisement

DrumSteve wrote: »
    In canada, the barman/server who served in is responsible for you until you sober up (in theory). Encourages bar staff not to keep serving someone who is clearly ****faced.

Wonder would something like that over here have any effect at curbing drunk injuries, rather than serving people who are clearly off their face?

Id say the barmen would need A&E if they tried to enforce that :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I dont get this business of ending up in a&e. I'm not proud of it but I have horsed into obscene amounts of sauce on occasion in my time (and more besides). I have subjected my body to what might be termed gross negligence and criminal abuse. I have never ended up in hospital or needed medical attention. Wtf are these people doing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Snipers be the only job, like.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Arthur Beesley

Will these booze buses have alcohol licences? And will they charge a fare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭wazky

Like every other solution to the problems in this country, more tax will added on.

Doesn't matter what the problem, tax is the solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,676 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

cloud493 wrote: »
    http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/10903719/Drunks-should-be-treated-in-booze-buses-to-ease-AandE-overcrowding.html

I couldnt support that at all. It sounds right in theory, till you think, if you don't allow drunk people treatment, where do you then draw a line? What about people who get injuries or conditions partially or entirely caused by smokers? Druggies. Someone who goes on a night out and gets a bottle smashed in their face, should they be denied treatment? Surely the right thing is to sort out the health care and increase funding and health care capacity*

*I have indeed been in A&E on a Friday and a Saturday night, and no uits not always pleasant to have the joint full of drunk eejits or such and such. But specially in the UK(and here as well) its accident and emergency, not sensible accident and mishaps.

Having had the misfortune of spending a Saturday night in the A&E of UHG surrounded by drunk assholes I fully support what the nurses are saying.

If someone goes out and gets pissed drunk they should have to wait until last to be seen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Will they have a smoking area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,997 ✭✭✭Adyx

DrumSteve wrote: »

No it wouldn't. There's already a similar thing here where the person who serves you can be held responsible if they serve you when you are drunk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

booze buses that serve booze is a better idea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,104 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Deja Vu - Enda Kenny and his idea for drunk tanks

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

booze buses that serve booze is a better idea

Or a bar in A&E , would save sober people feeling left out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Or a bar in A&E , would save sober people feeling left out.

Why re-invent the wheel ?

Put a few drip trolleys & monitors in Coppers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

gctest50 wrote: »
    Why re-invent the wheel ?

Put a few drip trolleys & monitors in Coppers

Maybe have a nurse or two wander about ...oh wait .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Yip - it has everything - lucozade for the low sugarz and beer fixes everything* else

bonus : all the nurses and Gardai will be pissed too so everyone will be on the same wavelength

* http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxfLoVWnjiU

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,180 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

Deja Vu - Enda Kenny and his idea for drunk tanks

I'll give the IndaKinny() that one - tanks are much cooler than buses.

Advertisement