Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Skerries yesterday afternoon.

WeP11AFh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 22,080 ✭✭✭✭Big Nasty

Amazing how much a poxy looking reg plate affects a car

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Badges look odd too. And the yellow lights. Were they standard? Never saw them on a 3 before

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Interslice

Badges look odd too. And the yellow lights. Were they standard? Never saw them on a 3 before

Fogs were an option!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Yellow lights it's a French thing. This one probably has a film on them. Been trying to get a full set of yellows myself (post facelift) instead of using film.

• Advertisement

jozi wrote: »
    Yellow lights it's a French thing...
    They managed to hold onto them until the early nineties when the EU eventually made them fall into line with other countries.

I remember cars back from the ferry would have that yellow film!
    Why did they French have that?

...Why did they French have that?
    Legacy from WWII when French cars were required to have yellow headlights to distinguish them from 'the enemy'.

I don't know if there's any truth in this, and it's probably not at all related to France, the warmer light temperature are better for visibility when illuminating the road. So the cooler lights we have these days (towards the blue spectrum) don't make things more visible than the warmer lighting of the past. As I write this, I'm starting to think maybe it was in the context of fog, where warmer lighting is favourable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

What’s odd about the badges?

• Advertisement

letape wrote: »
    What’s odd about the badges?
    He probably means that they spoil the look of the car rather than the badges themselves being odd.

Skerries yesterday afternoon.

WeP11AFh.jpg

Very nice - Calypso red if I’m not mistaken, which was a rare colour in an e30.

Think the badges, lights and even the old fashioned (beaded) drivers seat cover gives it some authenticity.

Personally I think the badges and yellow film are too fussy and take away from it.

Killarney and Glenflesk today :

20181229-213756.jpg

20181229-213728.jpg

20181229-155751.jpg

20181229-155710.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That W126 never had an NCT :rolleyes:

Why do these people do that to us? Sooner or later all of our priviliges (€56 road tax - 2 year NCT) will be taken away from us because the compliance rate is so low (because of all these scumbags cheating the system)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Padre Pio sticker. He'll be grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Very nice - Calypso red if I’m not mistaken, which was a rare colour in an e30.

Think the badges, lights and even the old fashioned (beaded) drivers seat cover gives it some authenticity.

Calypso red is a wine colour. This is red. E30s are very desirable in calypso red. Seem to always fetch more than other colours

dar_cool wrote: »
    Calypso red is a wine colour. This is red. E30s are very desirable in calypso red. Seem to always fetch more than other colours

Calypso red is red - unless there was something unique with the 1991 motorsport edition.

npCh4a4.jpg

CfAy0Um.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Yes its a winey red

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Calypso red is red - unless there was something unique with the 1991 motorsport edition.

Calypso wasn't available on a chromie, Burgundrot was - which is much darker. I think the one in the picture is a Zinoberrot or Brilliant red.

• Advertisement

I'm with kdevitt, calypso also typically photographs more purple. I think there might have also been up 3 different shades of it?

kdevitt wrote: »
    Calypso wasn't available on a chromie, Burgundrot was - which is much darker. I think the one in the picture is a Zinoberrot or Brilliant red.

Yes the older ones were also available in calypso red. I had one of them too (example below).

https://cars.trovit.co.uk/listing/bmw-e30-320i-cabriolet-just-50k-miles-1990-for-sale-from-4-star-classics-in-hampshire-united-kingdom.1jFJ1-i1Q1ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,278 ✭✭✭kdevitt

Nah it wasn't and unless yours had a respray it wasn't calypso. Calyspo only became available with the facelift in 88. The link you posted is a 1990 car - after the colour became available - some of the cabs didn't get the newer bumpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Airside

46474907082_325a864874_c.jpg

46474906532_74b6b5095d_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I hope to have some pics of a MK II Jag soon. It's back from the UK after a 5 year body and engine restoration. The interior, carpets and seats will be going in in the new year.

Who thought that 120000 plate system was a good idea?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

sligojoek wrote: »
    Who thought that 120000 plate system was a good idea?

The lazy civil servants who couldn't be bothered to begin the new 2011 database at a reasonable ceiling above where each county's/year's previous numbers finished, so they picked a ceiling above the highest year of all (2000) for all years... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 65,438 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Lovely Kadett, remember them well from my youth. My father bought a brand new Ascona also in '78. Also blue, but a slightly brighter metallic blue paint

Wonder why the owner went for the year plate? I know ZV is hardly ideal either but it would have had just 7 digits instead of 9. My own one worked out quite well as it is narrow with three "1" in it :)

Very nice - Calypso red if I’m not mistaken, which was a rare colour in an e30

Can confirm its Karminrott (red).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

unkel wrote: »
    Lovely Kadett, remember them well from my youth. My father bought a brand new Ascona also in '78. Also blue, but a slightly brighter metallic blue paint

Wonder why the owner went for the year plate? I know ZV is hardly ideal either but it would have had just 7 digits instead of 9. My own one worked out quite well as it is narrow with three "1" in it :)

Looks like a nice example, think if it was mine i'd "mislay" two of the zero's tbh....liking the "58" sticker too....;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

Looks like a nice example, think if it was mine i'd "mislay" two of the zero's tbh....liking the "58" sticker too....;)

a rare sight indeed - what does the "58" sticker refer too?? :confused:

Advertisement