Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

saw this beauty moored in Bray yesterday..

• Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭elperello

tc20 wrote: »
    ^ love those Citroens, great prescence..and the seats!

have one here in this batch, spotted in Greystones though it appears in 'soft focus' :P
    re the Beetle (seen in Bray) - it has the small oval vents in the front wings, does this indicate an earlier model, I'm not that au fait with the model history beyond the oval rear windows were on the earliest models..

some day i'll get around to posting actual pics and not links.. :o

Nice cars.
    The VW is a really good one. Original Wicklow registration and all.
    I'd say it is about 1963. Those bumpers may be a later addition but some original Irish cars had them from new.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

tc20 wrote: »

some day i'll get around to posting actual pics and not links.. :o

Thanks from those of us looking at the thread on slow internet feeds; saves a lot of 'darnit need to restart the browser' moments.

That Buick looks like a '2 door special' though the restore doesn't exactly match the images I can find online. I don't think passenger-side mirrors were on US cars for some time afterwards. Also most of the chrome striping on '58 Buicks I've found curves downwards past the rear wheel - this car, it's straight from front to back.

Still, California is so fun for car watching. Surprisingly, Washington state's pretty good too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Igotadose wrote: »
    Thanks from those of us looking at the thread on slow internet feeds; saves a lot of 'darnit need to restart the browser' moments.

That Buick looks like a '2 door special' though the restore doesn't exactly match the images I can find online. I don't think passenger-side mirrors were on US cars for some time afterwards. Also most of the chrome striping on '58 Buicks I've found curves downwards past the rear wheel - this car, it's straight from front to back.

Still, California is so fun for car watching. Surprisingly, Washington state's pretty good too.

That's a '59 Buick not a '58 as the reg says.
    The new model years were available from Oct/Nov the previous year so it was probably first registered in '58.
    I'd be changing that to a ZV.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Drumcondra a short while ago. VW looks like recent paint over untreated rust issues ;

IMG-20191116-105714.jpg

IMG-20191116-105805.jpg

IMG-20191116-105900.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

The red sl, I believe there's a story to that one (or another Ted one)?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Owen

Think the vw is a crossover model . Early front in dictators and late rear lights .
    Bottom of sliding door is gone and under the front headlight is also rough .
    Nice looking bus though .

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭68deville

hi5 wrote: »
    That's a '59 Buick not a '58 as the reg says.
    The new model years were available from Oct/Nov the previous year so it was probably first registered in '58.
    I'd be changing that to a ZV.;)

Restored that car 8 years ago was bought in galvins in bandon round 2003
    And yes I did put 2 mirrors on that car!!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Lovely looking 944 in Dublin 8 today

49080266182_b62601855a_c.jpg

49080266102_73c9167dbb_c.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Something not right about that 944. The wheels aren't filling the arches as if it's a 924 with 944 panels.

Needs spacers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

Absolutely sure I saw that in Terenure three weeks ago on my way into work. Had a problem with the cycle cam that day though and couldn't recover the picture.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

Dades wrote: »
    Something not right about that 944. The wheels aren't filling the arches as if it's a 924 with 944 panels.

Needs spacers!

According to my.vehicle.ie it's a red 944 2.5 litre.

Saw quite a few classics today. Here's a couple from tonight in the Rathmines / Ballsbridge area. The black one is some sort of Toyota which I've never seen before, if someone can identify it?

Also saw a blue Triumph Dolomite in Terenure and I think a Citroen Acadiane van mounted on a flatbed today, but couldn't get photos as they were on the opposite side of my bus.

attachment.php?attachmentid=495608&stc=1&d=1574117758

attachment.php?attachmentid=495610&stc=1&d=1574117858

attachment.php?attachmentid=495609&stc=1&d=1574117805

• Registered Users Posts: 15,053 ✭✭✭✭elperello

It's a Toyota Comfort.
    They were used as taxis in Japan.
    Must be a rare bird here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭jmreire

elperello wrote: »
    Nice cars.
    The VW is a really good one. Original Wicklow registration and all.
    I'd say it is about 1963. Those bumpers may be a later addition but some original Irish cars had them from new.

The bumper over rider's could be added to any of the "Blade" bumpers, as well as the front lamp "Eyelashe's". Nice to see one again in that condition..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Driving behind this 928 in Carlow yesterday, had my windows open despite the rain, to catch the sound and the smell

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Love that booty :)

Mine was an S2 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,084 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

elperello wrote: »
    It's a Toyota Comfort.
    They were used as taxis in Japan.
    Must be a rare bird here.

Yup. They're everywhere in Japan. I have to get more photos up of them when I get a chance

Stopped making them only in 2017 though. They were replaced by the Toyota JPN Taxi. Which is shameful.

The Crown Comfort is a seriously comfortable and roomy bus. Determined to bring one over here at some point. They're not that expensive in the grand scheme for a seriously comfortable drive. That being said, they're acquired taste looks wise. Thankfully I've acquired it. :)

Knocklyon this morning:

496015.jpg

Couple of dingers at a small show in Moyvalley today

49117424901_3a51c2e9e2_c.jpg

49116920298_0d30788948_c.jpg

49116921233_c681e8e1a2_c.jpg

49117425386_0401f56d3e_c.jpg

49117420951_d361f25e34_c.jpg

49117620887_4b4894ba80_c.jpg

• Advertisement

49117424901_3a51c2e9e2_c.jpg

49116920298_0d30788948_c.jpg

49116921233_c681e8e1a2_c.jpg

49117425386_0401f56d3e_c.jpg

49117420951_d361f25e34_c.jpg

49117620887_4b4894ba80_c.jpg

WOW.... that's some collection all right..really brought back the memories, especially the Lada Niva and the 11'00. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

What was it like, many there?, I didn't get to go myself

that Niva is brilliant looking

Testacalda wrote: »
    What was it like, many there?, I didn't get to go myself

that Niva is brilliant looking

It was very quiet to be honest. Arrived ten minutes after 1 (it started at 1) and some exhibits were already leaving.

No autojumble, no food, and no atmosphere really. Which is a pity because it certainly had/has potential IMO. I left after about 30 minutes. Thankfully they weren’t charging for entry, it was supposed to be 15 quid a head but I think on account of the small numbers they decided not to charge, and just asked that folks buy raffle tickets. I couldn’t find anyone selling raffle tickets!!

It was very quiet to be honest. Arrived ten minutes after 1 (it started at 1) and some exhibits were already leaving.

No autojumble, no food, and no atmosphere really. Which is a pity because it certainly had/has potential IMO. I left after about 30 minutes. Thankfully they weren’t charging for entry, it was supposed to be 15 quid a head but I think on account of the small numbers they decided not to charge, and just asked that folks buy raffle tickets. I couldn’t find anyone selling raffle tickets!!

In the overall scheme of things, and given the times that were in it, the Niva was not the worst of them, despite all the jokes. We used to have several of them, all 4x4's, and when up and running, they did the job OK. Just like the MAZ and KAMAZ truck's,,brutal things to drive, but by God....based on their military design,they would go bravely where a lot of other trucks would not. And while breakdowns were to be expected, they were fixable.....was nothing to see one of them broke down on the side of the road ( Niva's of Kamaz) but pass by a few hrs later, and they were up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭tyney

Ive followed this thread for years, and finally someone posts a pic of my car.
    That was a good little show.
    Admin was in the clubhouse. Raffle tickets, tea, coffee, carvery and even a cake stall.
    I was delighted to see the lada. Would be a shame to lose that period of our motoring history. There were many lada/fso/skoda bangers when i was a kid.

Scimitar apparently broken down this morning just before the Templeogue Bridge - unfortunately the cyclist beside was blocking any closer image and the cycle cam quality was made even poorer in this weather.

496252.PNG

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Was having a look on Google maps at the tiny border town of Van Buren in Maine, usa following a news item about a man who accidentally shot himself when I came across this beauty:

Screenshot-2019-12-02-13-50-20-466-com-google-android-apps-maps.jpg

Some from today - posted the red Alfa 75 before but saw from the top deck of my bus this morning that there's several others in the garden (Terenure). Two others are covered up. Wonder what the white one is with the black roof? Cortina maybe? Only noticed them at the last second as the bus was taking off so the picture is blurry.

496706.jpg

Then took a stroll around Rathmines for a while during a college break and came upon these others. Also saw an 90's era 8 Series BMW but couldn't get a photo on time as it was driving.

496707.jpg

496708.jpg

496709.jpg

Seen on Lord Edward Street today

49165079558_f954a810df_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,219 ✭✭✭pablo128

That's some spot. I don't think I've ever seen one of those before.

Advertisement