Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,042 ✭✭✭kaizersoze

w124man wrote: »
    Whats unusual about that? Have you never seen a UK reg car on a forecourt before?

Is it not the case that dealers importing cars for sale on their forecourts do not have to re-reg, NCT and VRT until sold to an Irish client? I always thought it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Dealer can't sell a foreign reg car to the public, so yes they would have to register the car and pay VRT before they can sell it. Car does not have to have an NCT for a dealer to sell it afaik though.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

w124man wrote: »
    Whats unusual about that? Have you never seen a UK reg car on a forecourt before?

Of course, I've bought UK cars from Irish dealers, and bought cars in from the UK myself. What I've never seen is a 48 grand car sold as "not VRTed". I'd expect a car for sale at a dealer at that money - any money in fact - to clearly state that VRT and NCT will be included in the purchase price. Looks to me like that car is being sold on behalf of someone else.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,580 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

Chevy (2).jpg

1938 Chevy I had the pleasure of taking a spin in on Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

ArielAtom wrote: »
    Chevy (2).jpg

1938 Chevy I had the pleasure of taking a spin in on Sunday.

Gorgeous!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Clonsilla, Dublin 15

tCimTpM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

kaizersoze wrote: »
    Is it not the case that dealers importing cars for sale on their forecourts do not have to re-reg, NCT and VRT until sold to an Irish client? I always thought it was.

This is correct but the price they quote must include any VRT and other duties due.

As for an NCT, who would buy from a dealer that didnt NCT the vehicle?

• Registered Users Posts: 41 raehogan

Visiting Barcelona and Andorra this weekend and saw a lovely Mercedes 405 D parked down a side street near the beach. I found a blog post by another fan here - it's in Spanish but has more photos for anyone who's curious...

https://imatgessobrerodes.blogspot.com/2013/12/mercedes-405-d.html?m=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

Don't know if this has been posted before? Took a different route into college today since I had time to kill - it was outside The Dropping Well pub. Austin Seven?

501242.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 19,084 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Nice reg... All Over Advertisement 123

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Nice reg... All Over Advertisement 123

It’s actually 723 (starting handle is in the way)

OA = West Midlands

This is a sad case - the pub-chain owner thinks that having classics outside his pubs increases the charm-factor, but as we all know, older cars don’t last well outside. A few years ago, this car replaced an initially very good-looking Morris Minor van which was destroyed by the elements over a decade or so, and although this Austin looks ok now, that's after a tidy-up last year - before that, it had flat tyres and was covered in green mould, and probably has overall damage (interior and engine internals) from condensation, too. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 19,084 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Type 17 wrote: »

OA = West Midlands

This is a sad case - the pub-chain owner thinks that having classics outside his pubs increases the charm-factor, but as we all know, older cars don’t last well outside. A few years ago, this car replaced an initially very good-looking Morris Minor van which was destroyed by the elements over a decade or so, and although this Austin looks ok now, that's after a tidy-up last year - before that, it had flat tyres and was covered in green mould, and probably has overall damage (interior and engine internals) from condensation, too. :(

Explains why 123 wasn't on Cartell. 723 is there.

Cheers.

Interesting coincidence in reg though for my assumption. Ha!

It's on a footpath. And no doubt hasn't been imported and had VRT paid. Would be a decent guard now to "drop in" on that.

Should be towed and stored. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Theres something similar outside Chawkes in Adare, grieves me everytime I pass it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

Explains why 123 wasn't on Cartell. 723 is there.

Cheers.

Interesting coincidence in reg though for my assumption. Ha!

It's on a footpath. And no doubt hasn't been imported and had VRT paid. Would be a decent guard now to "drop in" on that.

Should be towed and stored. :)

An aul lad I know tried to buy that car for reasonable money at auction recently... the bids kept going up, and up and up till he called it a day. He ended up buying one over in the UK.

Theres something similar outside Chawkes in Adare, grieves me everytime I pass it.

And a 105E Anglia outside his premises in Goatstown, Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Garzard wrote: »
    Don't know if this has been posted before? Took a different route into college today since I had time to kill - it was outside The Dropping Well pub. Austin Seven?

501242.jpg

Great find. I could do with a few bits off that ;)

Great find. I could do with a few bits off that ;)

Steal it! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Steal it! :cool:

Do you reckon they’d notice the headlights missing? :P

Do you reckon they’d notice the headlights missing? :P

Not if you were to do the old switcheroo (overnight of course) and replace them with a couple of cheap chrome motorcycle headlight housings - assuming the Austin headlights is what you need! They'll never tell. :pac:

Type 17 wrote: »

OA = West Midlands

That's awful alright - probably not many of these left? Even though I live relatively nearby in South Dublin, I've never been at this spot before and assumed the Austin was a regular runner from how clean it looked and a few elderly lads were examining it as well. Also saw the Goatstown Anglia recently on Google Maps.

Is it a Morris Minor that's been decaying outside Johnnie Fox's?

• Advertisement

Is it a Morris Minor that's been decaying outside Johnnie Fox's?

No, it's Ford Popular (or maybe an Anglia)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

few recent spots from around the country

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

and this old gal in Mayo, I think its a Rover; P4 perhaps?

I agree with Type 17's sentiments re classics being used as pub ornaments, effectively they're just rotting away. Maybe they were beyond saving to begin with and are just merely painted up to look better than they actually are, but a few of them, and there are plenty dotted around the island, appear to my untrained eye to be salvageable.
    Here's a Triumph & a Moggie which were rusting away on the Kilruddery estate in Bray before being put on a pedestal. I'd wager these were beyond salvage anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

Spotted a 181 Morgan earlier today at lunch time on Pearse St, twice actually, followed by a Ferrari and also a Porsche. Only picture I got is of the Ferrari as he had stopped.501591.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Hartstown, Dublin 15

iWI3Qcj.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Santry:

IMG-20200131-210319.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,436 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That R11 looks in superb condition. He loves the car so much, he painted his house in the same colour :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I drove past this the other day.. Made a point of going back and hoping I'd get a pic. 20 mins later it was still there,

501664.jpg

501664.jpg

501665.jpg

501666.jpg

501667.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,268 ✭✭✭MrCostington

CD plate? presumably an ex embassy car, should the CD still be there? And what's with the yellow? Interesting spot!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

CD plate? presumably an ex embassy car, should the CD still be there? And what's with the yellow? Interesting spot!

To distract the "shooter"..........:p

Advertisement