Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

outfox wrote: »
    I didn't know that. I always assumed that air cooled engines would struggle when idling continuously in hot weather. You learn something new every day.
    Oh yeah... The cooling system in an aircooled engine like the one in P. or in a VW runs all the time from the fan of the engine, but the engine is not under load (heat stress) at the same time when in traffic.

Secondly, more cooling air is available in the summer time, as it is not being used to flow through the heat exchangers to heat the cabin like in the winter time.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Dublin 15

ZcTNSdh.jpg

ZEAEHEM.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Wow, it's a long way from home (or almost home again, if it was built in the UK, but I presume that these would have been built locally from kits).

Split screen = pre 1956, so more than 64 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,433 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That Morris Minor is for sale!

Linky

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

unkel wrote: »
    That Morris Minor is for sale!

Linky

It's been a while since I read such bull**** in an ad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

kev1.3s wrote: »
    It's been a while since I read such bull**** in an ad

Arthur Daly stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

vrt/vat not paid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 135 ✭✭moonlighting_1

would it even be possible to register it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

would it even be possible to register it.

Shouldn't be a problem if all paperwork is present. Lots of stuff being found in SA these days, a great source for RHD Alfas oddly enough.

Shouldn't be a problem if all paperwork is present. Lots of stuff being found in SA these days, a great source for RHD Alfas oddly enough.

Apparently theres not many good alfa's left down there. Lots of rough ones tarted up alright.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

outfox wrote: »
    Are they air cooled? Being stuck in traffic on a warm day could be fun!

Properly set up aircooled VW engine can idle all day long with no ill effects, and drive all day long in the hottest weather, and run fine.

Biggest threat of an over heated Vw aircooled engine is an incorrect cooling system, with one or more missing parts.

Its not unusual for both the thermostat and flaps to be missing from beetle engines, due to lack of understanding in how the cooling system works.

It seems to be a regular thing to come across this. The system is simple and efficient, thats why it has stood the test of time

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭911s

The 911 engine can also hold up to 12 litres of engine oil which combined with a fronted mounted
    oil cooler also helps in cooling. Ideal for a classic as you don’t have to worry about perished water hoses and old coolant in engine. A stripped down air cooled engine looks so much cleaner than a water cooled engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

Merrion Rd earlier

517741.jpg

Another to add - Ballycullen Road about an hour ago while on a run. Appears it was broken down as it was still there 20mins later. Fantastic weather for one of these.

517747.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Phoenix park :

IMG-20200622-153028.jpg

Garzard wrote: »
    Another to add - Ballycullen Road about an hour ago while on a run. Appears it was broken down as it was still there 20mins later. Fantastic weather for one of these.

517747.jpg

A Stag in it's natural environment. At the side of the road waiting for a tow..... ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Dublin 15

aK0Xl08.jpg

gFyQ6Ht.jpg

Lovely Minor, but not mad on those alloys (if they're on it).

Its reg means that the "Old MacDonald reg" was issued a bit earlier (EIE 10) - an online check says it was a Mini 1000 - does anyone know if it still exists?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

A well used old Merc in howth

50051600962_cce46fb1d0_z.jpg

50051600887_62cb58248b_z.jpg

That lives outside in Dublin 2. It used to look a lot less rusty a few years ago :(

• Advertisement

Anyone who follows George on Soup Classics will now know just how much rust those mercs can hide. They are truly shocking, but relatively handy to fix up - even obscure parts are still available.

Anyone who follows George on Soup Classics will now know just how much rust those mercs can hide. They are truly shocking, but relatively handy to fix up - even obscure parts are still available.

There was a lot of hidden rust lurking on what looked like a good clean car before be started on it. After seeing his I'd be terrified to start that one.

kev1.3s wrote: »
    There was a lot of hidden rust lurking on what looked like a good clean car before be started on it. After seeing his I'd be terrified to start that one.

The only thing about the mercs is that they are well engineered and well built - you can take them apart and replace stuff. Its not like a land rover where you start to undo a bolt in the bulkhead and 3 square feet of metal around it turns to powder in front of your f**king eyes.

there is great satisfaction in returning an old merc to its original glory. Land rovers, Triumphs and Healys as well, but they test you more. Which, perversely, is probably why you end up loving them more.

A well used old Merc in howth

Looks like the same one I posted last year here while cycling through Macken St, on Google Maps as well.

https://www.google.ie/maps/@53.3402735,-6.2416511,3a,75y,247.94h,59.12t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1svPwxiQtrfZvu9OurPnzygw!2e0!7i16384!8i8192

518057.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,529 ✭✭✭jmreire

Seweryn wrote: »
    Oh yeah... The cooling system in an aircooled engine like the one in P. or in a VW runs all the time from the fan of the engine, but the engine is not under load (heat stress) at the same time when in traffic.

Secondly, more cooling air is available in the summer time, as it is not being used to flow through the heat exchangers to heat the cabin like in the winter time.

The airflow is controlled by a thermostat, which opens or closes the vent in the fan housing. So unless the thermostat fails or the fan belt breaks,it will maintain its correct temperature in any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Newcastle West

IMG-20200628-165350.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

jmreire wrote: »
    The airflow is controlled by a thermostat, which opens or closes the vent in the fan housing. So unless the thermostat fails or the fan belt breaks,it will maintain its correct temperature in any circumstances.
    True, I know this. I drove my Volkswagens in all possible conditions from -20 to +40 and the engines never failed.
    If the thermostat ever goes, it will keep the flaps in fully open position. A spare belt is something that takes very little space and should be kept on board.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,529 ✭✭✭jmreire

Seweryn wrote: »
    True, I know this. I drove my Volkswagens in all possible conditions from -20 to +40 and the engines never failed.
    If the thermostat ever goes, it will keep the flaps in fully open position. A spare belt is something that takes very little space and should be kept on board.

They were ( and still are ) a great car. Hitlers instruction to the engineers was that they design a car that was equally at home in the Arctic or the Sahara and most places in-between, the literally and aptly named " Volks Car " And thats what they came up with. I remember in the VW dealership that I once worked in, Farmers ( and Vets, the VW was the vehicle of choice for them especially ) would drive them across streams on their land, and in snow / ice conditions, they were second to none. I was a common sight to see several front engined rear wheel drive cars stopped or struggling to move in such conditions, the VW's would sail past, not a bother on them. There are some very fine specimens here on this forum, and the blue one is one of the best I've seen. It has all the extras, bumper bull bars, chrome stone protectors on the wings etc. Be nice to see the inside, I'd say that it is in perfect condition too.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

The good big bumpers were appreciated by farmers..
    You could put 2 50kg bags of feed, coal etc on the back bumper, one each side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Type 17 wrote: »
    That lives outside in Dublin 2. It used to look a lot less rusty a few years ago :(

Surprisingly, it still has an NCT

Advertisement