Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Ryano87 wrote: »
    Treated myself to a little classic off eBay last week. Shipped over from Scotland and I collected it and drove home from the north on Saturday. Very happy with it.

Looks very clean. Is it a turbo?

Also, did you buy it without seeing it in the flesh?

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Dublin 15

pgDvcEZ.jpg

mh7az6l.jpg

qMVBJ38.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭Ryano87

Looks very clean. Is it a turbo?

Also, did you buy it without seeing it in the flesh?

Hiya, no it's an 8v carb engine. Only 60k miles. Yes bought it without seeing it and on reflection it was an impulse buy which I got very lucky on. Photos can be very deceptive but thankfully this one worked out.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153999459353

It's fantastic condition, I'm going to service it at the weekend. Lovely car to drive too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,358 ✭✭✭kev1.3s

Hiya, no it's an 8v carb engine. Only 60k miles. Yes bought it without seeing it and on reflection it was an impulse buy which I got very lucky on. Photos can be very deceptive but thankfully this one worked out.

It's fantastic condition, I'm going to service it at the weekend. Lovely car to drive too.

Looks smashing

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Looks brilliant. In the pics on the advert, and the extra photos she looks absolutely fantastic.
    I only asked because I previously looked into getting someone from the AA or the RAC to view and test a car I wouldn't be able to view in person myself. I never went through with it.

Those 900s are a really lovely car. One of the very first jobs I ever did serving my time was change the timing chain on one of those engines. Not what you call easy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,542 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Looks brilliant. In the pics on the advert, and the extra photos she looks absolutely fantastic.
    I only asked because I previously looked into getting someone from the AA or the RAC to view and test a car I wouldn't be able to view in person myself. I never went through with it.

Those 900s are a really lovely car. One of the very first jobs I ever did serving my time was change the timing chain on one of those engines. Not what you call easy.

Always hated changing the oil on mine. Had to remove the plate below, and you needed a brass washer that fit under the pan plug. Very smooth riding car though, handled like a charm.

Yeah his pictures are what gave me confidence, still a risk but thankfully was okay. He talks some waffle in the description though! Nice guy to deal with. No BS. Praying a basic service will keep me going for a year! Has new front calipers, exhaust and 4 new Firestone tyres fitted 4 weeks ago.

Funny thing is Deane motors delivered a silver one to my neighbour yesterday too. He uses it as a holiday home most of the time so bought the car for use when he is here.

Couldn't make it up, apart from colour they are identical in every way!

Yeah his pictures are what gave me confidence, still a risk but thankfully was okay. He talks some waffle in the description though! Nice guy to deal with. No BS. Praying a basic service will keep me going for a year! Has new front calipers, exhaust and 4 new Firestone tyres fitted 4 weeks ago.

Yep, that sounds familiar. 60k miles? About right though I did the rotors I think every 20-30k or so. Ate rotors faster than pads. FD: I lived in a very hilly part of the world during this period and the daily commute had me going up and down the tallest of them. It is a heavy car, made for the good riding and handling. Plus the heated seats (a.k.a. "The bun warmer" :) ) were a joy in the Winter.

Good luck! Change the oil every 2k if you can manage it, mine had hardly any engine wear when I sold it.

Igotadose wrote: »
    Yep, that sounds familiar. 60k miles? About right though I did the rotors I think every 20-30k or so. Ate rotors faster than pads. FD: I lived in a very hilly part of the world during this period and the daily commute had me going up and down the tallest of them. It is a heavy car, made for the good riding and handling. Plus the heated seats (a.k.a. "The bun warmer" :) ) were a joy in the Winter.

Good luck! Change the oil every 2k if you can manage it, mine had hardly any engine wear when I sold it.

Yeah 66k - I checked MOT history and hadn't done more than 50 miles since 2006 so must have been in storage. Thanks yeah I will do. I'm proper sad when it comes to car maintenance so it will be treated like a new born!

• Advertisement

Sorry for all the posts but I've never VRT'd a classic. When I go to VRT appointment is that when I tell them I'd like an 86 reg plate as opposed to ZV?

I don't see it on the VRT2 form.

Thanks for your help all

Sorry for all the posts but I've never VRT'd a classic. When I go to VRT appointment is that when I tell them I'd like an 86 reg plate as opposed to ZV?

Thanks for your help all

Ask Kadman. He knows everything!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,239 ✭✭✭Lurching

Thanks for your help all

Yes, but make sure you're upfront with it.
      I almost ended up with a a '72 reg when I wanted ZV, I caught the guy at the desk just in time.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,094 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Igotadose wrote: »
      Ask Kadman. He knows everything!

Not on this occasion I am afraid. VRTing imported classics is something
      I am not familiar with:)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Saw this beauty in the NCT in Deansgrange.....dull picture, very cloudy this morning...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

gN1dGZXh.jpg

JvPIYheh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

Firhouse Road

523063.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

That is proper minty looking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Almost looks like one of the original late '70's/early 80's brochure shots :)

JvPIYheh.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,795 ✭✭✭Isambard

Garzard wrote: »
      Firhouse Road

523063.jpg

Princess Anne had one... has to be said, I was first this time

• Advertisement
    • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 10,869 Mod ✭✭✭✭PauloMN

Type 17 wrote: »
      Almost looks like one of the original late '70's/early 80's brochure shots :)

I thought the exact same thing when I saw it... just need the '70s family having a picnic with the boot open shot! :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Saab on the M50, Merc in Ranelagh

50233936278_eaf6c11018_z.jpg

50234592841_5ff76d946d_z.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

the Ford was in Bray, got chatting to the owner at the pumps, sound fella.
      He said he got it in boxes and has done it up over the years, original Cork reg I believe. Fantastic condition.
      The Mercedes was in Greystones recently, also stunning. Is this a W111?
      I think this might belong to Merc Mad of this parish?

523325.jpg

523326.jpg

523327.jpg

523328.jpg

523329.jpg

more to follow..

The Merc is a W111 - the 2-door Coupe version of the "Fintail" 4-door model. There is also a Cabriolet version, which is similarly good-looking.

Type 17 wrote: »
      The Merc is a W111 - the 2-door Coupe version of the "Fintail" 4-door model. There is also a Cabriolet version, which is similarly good-looking.

thanks T17, I always get confused with the W110/111/112 models - I think the 110 was the earlier model, and the 112 is very similar to the W111 but with air suspension, bigger engines? I love these Mercs, gorgeous lines..

more from the recent holliers -
      MG in Clonakility, Beetle in Westport.
      The others are more local to me. I've seen both the VW van & the Jag before. The T2 looks like it has just rolled off the factory line.

523339.jpg

523340.jpg

523341.jpg

523342.jpg

523343.jpg

tc20 wrote: »
      thanks T17, I always get confused with the W110/111/112 models - I think the 110 was the earlier model, and the 112 is very similar to the W111 but with air suspension, bigger engines? I love these Mercs, gorgeous lines..

Yes, the 112 has an all-alloy 6-cylinder engine and air suspension similar to that used in the 600 Grosser.
      more from the recent holliers -
      MG in Clonakility, Beetle in Westport.
      The others are more local to me. I've seen both the VW van & the Jag before. The T2 looks like it has just rolled off the factory line.

Wow, some great-condition vehicles there.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I think I've stopped that Merc and Donnybrook in the past, shined as good as it looked!

the Ford was in Bray, got chatting to the owner at the pumps, sound fella.
      He said he got it in boxes and has done it up over the years, original Cork reg I believe. Fantastic condition.

523325.jpg

Love the banded steel rims - many 60's cars had narrow rims, to suit cross-ply tyres, which never really looked great, and now in the radial era, look great with subtly-widened ones.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

That Zodiac is unbelievably beautiful.

Advertisement