Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

Andrew33 wrote: »
    I like it. Think there was a period in the late 90s when chrome was a no no. White with black trim works for me. Those sills look suspect though.
    It has a D plate, it has original weird “hubcaps”. I’d be havin it

I don't follow how that makes a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭ZENER

My first car was a 1984 Polo hatchback. Wouldn't start on a cold morning but I could tear down the dizzy and put it back together in 20 minutes. Loved it for the 5 years I owned it.

Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Garzard

ZENER wrote: »
    My first car was a 1984 Polo hatchback. Wouldn't start on a cold morning but I could tear down the dizzy and put it back together in 20 minutes. Loved it for the 5 years I owned it.

Ken

What would be the usual things to watch out for in one of these, buying them nowadays?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Andrew33

I don't follow how that makes a difference.

That argument has been done to death. Drop it.

That argument has been done to death. Drop it.

I asked a simple question. Yours is not helpful. And please show some respect.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

Garzard wrote: »
    What would be the usual things to watch out for in one of these, buying them nowadays?

Find a good rust free one with everything done and make sure its dry inside. Shocks, brakes, bushes .... anything rubber needs checking as parts are hard to get now. They are thirsty little bastards

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

ZENER wrote: »

Ken
    Garzard wrote: »

The cam-driven distributors on these engines take a lot more engine-heat than crank-driven ones, so the hall-sender can fail (easy fix, but no spark when it fails). The dizzy can also leak engine oil - a simple fix with a new O-ring, but if it's been left leaking for a while, it will have softened the hoses for the heater matrix (eventual failure).

The other issue with these engines is oil leaks from the corner of the head gasket over the alternator. A mild leak is just cosmetic, but a bigger leak can kill the alternator (damages the diodes).

Agreed on the thirst - the carb was originally a Beetle design, and my first car, a 1.3 (1272cc) Golf Mk1 (same engine series as the Polo) had worse MPG than my next car, a Mk1 Golf GTI (1781cc, but fuel injection).

I asked a simple question. Yours is not helpful. And please show some respect.

Wasn’t being disrespectful, accept my apologies if you misinterpreted my response. It’s been debated to death and generally accepted that a D plated car generally holds a little bit more value than any other county plate. Doesn’t really mean anything after the first 6-18 months of ownership.

Wasn’t being disrespectful, accept my apologies if you misinterpreted my response. It’s been debated to death and generally accepted that a D plated car generally holds a little bit more value than any other county plate. Doesn’t really mean anything after the first 6-18 months of ownership.

That's no problem. And thanks for giving the explaination for the D plate. I've heard about the value of the plate on everyday cars, but wasn't aware that it affected classics too. If it's been done to death, I'll leave it there so.

That's no problem. And thanks for giving the explaination for the D plate. I've heard about the value of the plate on everyday cars, but wasn't aware that it affected classics too. If it's been done to death, I'll leave it there so.

Thank you for your graciousness. I can be a little bit blunt at times with my response.

• Advertisement

Thank you for your graciousness. I can be a little bit blunt at times with my response.

No worries.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,321 ✭✭✭m17

Limerick
    UsJafeY.jpg

hpJ5XnW.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

Love the sign behind " It's all here for you " :} Good place to advertise a car for sale ..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

kkgGqRs.jpg

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

:::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Eu2ES07.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

That back alley is from past decades! Any more of the 6 series?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

There's loads going on that laneway.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thats Deane Motors

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Thats Deane Motors

yes, that's why I blurred out the reg. lots of nice stuff up and down the laneway - that 635, a G-wagen, a Scimitar deathtrap, a big old Silver Shadow, a lovely E28.

woejus wrote: »
    yes, that's why I blurred out the reg. lots of nice stuff up and down the laneway - that 635, a G-wagen, a Scimitar deathtrap, a big old Silver Shadow, a lovely E28.

I wonder if that little Austin/Morris 1100 further up the lane belongs to them. Always seems to be sitting there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

I dont get the logic behind blurring the reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,070 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

I wonder if that little Austin/Morris 1100 further up the lane belongs to them. Always seems to be sitting there

The G-Wagen and Austin are even on Street view from 2018!

Tzardine wrote: »
    I dont get the logic behind blurring the reg?

I'm alright with taking pictures of interesting classics where it's clear the owner is driving it or has parked it up. You can see from my history here that's all I post. Some of the cars I post up are mine at any rate.

However as I think it is probably a new import for Simon I didn't want the reg coming up and people looking it up etc, doing checks on it before he puts it up for sale. Probably the same reason "U Found Me" and the other lad selling the 230TE mentioned elsewhere obscure the reg of cars they sell.

It's a H reg so 1989? Near mint condition as most of the stuff they bring in is.

I think the hysteria of blanking out every poxy reg plate is stupid though, if you don't have access to the system all you can really do is see if it's taxed, and if the badge matches the engine size etc. Broadsheet are particularly anal about this, pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Tzardine

woejus wrote: »
    I'm alright with taking pictures of interesting classics where it's clear the owner is driving it or has parked it up. You can see from my history here that's all I post. Some of the cars I post up are mine at any rate.

However as I think it is probably a new import for Simon I didn't want the reg coming up and people looking it up etc, doing checks on it before he puts it up for sale. Probably the same reason "U Found Me" and the other lad selling the 230TE mentioned elsewhere obscure the reg of cars they sell.

It's a H reg so 1989? Near mint condition as most of the stuff they bring in is.

I think the hysteria of blanking out every poxy reg plate is stupid though, if you don't have access to the system all you can really do is see if it's taxed, and if the badge matches the engine size etc. Broadsheet are particularly anal about this, pointless.

Appreciate the response.

I can see your logic, but personally I would not blur them. I dont see any issue with people looking up a car that he (or anyone else) is selling. Its all fair game. I did actually buy a car from him as it happens, and I did some research on the UK reg before I even called him. If anything having the reg number helped me make my decision.

Also, its quite funny actually, a lot of times you see a car out of the UK advertised online and they go to a lot of trouble blurring the reg from every picture, but dont do it on the etchings in the glass. :cool:

London today, within meters of one another. The Saab is a daily driver

50621959876_2816158b72_c.jpg

50621925166_58f488233d_c.jpg

50622028857_ea1eb25199_c.jpg

50622028722_80b62c7fd6_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭Miscreant

London today, within meters of one another. The Saab is a daily driver

50622028857_ea1eb25199_c.jpg

50622028722_80b62c7fd6_c.jpg

What a beaut! I love how the paint has become matt over time. People pay big money for that effect these days.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭noelf

1977 Opel Kadett in Navan today.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Shoulda bought Duke's 99 2 years ago. Kicks self.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,429 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Shoulda bought Duke's 99 2 years ago. Kicks self.

96?

Yeah that was a steal. How much you sell for Duke? Was also matte colour, but for different reasons :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 253 ✭✭Beltby

Is that Mustang rhd? Australian import maybe?

Advertisement