Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Capri wrote: »
    Good ol' Fred Dibnah, even a young Fred in 1979

I thought you would find that funny!! :)

Never had a v8 Landy myself, but several rangies - both carb and efi. Love 'em.

Always fancied a factory NAS V8 Defender, might put one on my Santy list :eek:

I think as v8's go, you cant beat the venerable buick/rover small block. Especially the RPI versions

hi5 wrote: »
    The chassis had rotted beyond repair, they had to get a new one. For some reason or other I thought Land Rover chassis lasted forever:confused:

Chassis rot gets them first, unless they have leaked enough oil to protect it!! Rear cross members are notoriously short lived. The bodies themselves are aluminium alloy(originally birmabright), but can suffer from galvanic corrosion.
    Later series and defender bodies arent as resistant than the originals.

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭unfit2006

The chassis had rotted beyond repair, they had to get a new one. For some reason or other I thought Land Rover chassis lasted forever:confused:

I thought that Land Rover chassis, especially the pre 1980 ones, could outlive 2 bodies at least. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,480 ✭✭✭wexie

unfit2006 wrote: »
    I thought that Land Rover chassis, especially the pre 1980 ones, could outlive 2 bodies at least. :D

that's Land Rover logbooks you're confused with ;)

What's completely bizarre (to me anyways) that Land Rover still don't offer a factory option of galvanised chassis. They could charge a crazy amount of money (compared to the cost) and people would probably pay it cause it'd still be cheaper than having it done (with the accompanying rebuild) some time down the line.

:confused:

Or even just do it as standard and just add the couple hundred quid onto the base price?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 46 stevemul

In Capri's video of Fred Dibnah, he refers to a chimney in Darwen, Lancashire. This chimney is called India Mill chimney and was built to serve the cotton mills of Darwen. My ancestors eloped from Ireland to Lancashire as a teenage couple in the 1850's to work in these Mills and would have watched this chimney being built. I was born in 1948 in a house a few hundred yards from this chimney. At that time, my father worked beside it in a Paper Mill.There is a Utube video of Fred climbing India Mill chimney. This forum will not let me post a link as I am a " new user" but if you Google " fred Dibnah India Mill Chimney" you will find it.
    PS At what point do I cease to be a " new member?

stevemul wrote: »
    PS At what point do I cease to be a " new member?

It's not so much length of time served (so to speak) but amount of posts made.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

Justjens wrote: »
    Interceptor restyled with Dodge Viper V10, has somehow ended up in the capital.

http://www.joc.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=17349&hilit=viper

Bad bad shot last Friday in the rain at night on Pembroke St but however, better than none

Old/New blue Mini convertibles, in the same car park,same time !

40's Ford / Dodge around town ZV 6810 (?)

BJ40 and Cobra replica on N11

• Advertisement

wexie wrote: »
    What's completely bizarre (to me anyways) that Land Rover still don't offer a factory option of galvanised chassis. They could charge a crazy amount of money (compared to the cost) and people would probably pay it cause it'd still be cheaper than having it done (with the accompanying rebuild) some time down the line.

:confused:

Or even just do it as standard and just add the couple hundred quid onto the base price?

Must be a policy decision, as land rover dont make their own chassis* - they are brought in from an outside firm. Galvanising them as standard would be simple and would add a tiny portion to the price.

* for defenders

Old/New blue Mini convertibles, in the same car park,same time !

On a q-plate. Legal Elephant!!! Yaay!!!:pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

Q Plates are issued by D.V.L.C. where cars have been re-built from scratch, I don't know the finer details, but a lot of the London Taxis ( FX4) were on Q Plates, back some years ago. I don't know if it still happening. No, they are NOT Elephants, they are quite legal.

mattroche wrote: »
    Q Plates are issued by D.V.L.C. where cars have been re-built from scratch, I don't know the finer details, but a lot of the London Taxis ( FX4) were on Q Plates, back some years ago. I don't know if it still happening. No, they are NOT Elephants, they are quite legal.

Did I say they were illegal? :confused:

'rebuilt from scratch' - would you care to elaborate on this? And perhaps give some indication how, in your opinion, this is completely different from some of the examples posted on this forum?

A q-plate is given to any vehicle that doesnt have a type approval, or for a vehicle that has been modified sufficiently from a type approval to warrant an inspection. I have no idea where you are getting your "rebuilt from scratch" nonsense in this context.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

mattroche wrote: »
    Q Plates are issued by D.V.L.C. where cars have been re-built from scratch,

Showing your age there. They only changed the name to the DVLA 24 years ago.:P

Q is a vehicle of indeterminate age. You get them when you fail to keep a registration under the points rules. They aren't necessarily built from scratch, because you can build from scratch and retain enough points to keep the existing or be allocated a new registration either current year or age-related.

(I suppose the stigma comes from the days of cut 'n' shut with cars made out of two or more vehicles welded together.)

macplaxton wrote: »

Q is a vehicle of indeterminate age.

Thanks for the clarification. Forgot that the age element dictates Q now, whereas clearly new SVA's can get a current year index.

whereas clearly new SVA's can get a current year index.

SVA replaced by IVA now. :D

macplaxton wrote: »
    SVA replaced by IVA now. :D

Yeah, they see a semantic difference between 'individual' and 'single' that I could never understand. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

WTF? Looks like the front of a MK2 and the rear of a facelifted MK1. And the reg?

open?id=0BwvEfQ7liinpay1qaVhpS1dlUkE&authuser=0

open?id=0BwvEfQ7liinpekxjemlvMklpQTA&authuser=0

Second attempt

view?usp=sharing

view?usp=sharing

• Advertisement

Screw Google Drive. I'm going back to Dropbox.

DSC_0036.jpg

Jaysus I'm really not with it at all today.

DSC_0037.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 9,060 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Yeah, they see a semantic difference between 'individual' and 'single' that I could never understand. :confused:

Here's the difference in a nutshell: it tests more things and costs more money, so they changed the name. Anyway, there are still MSVAs for motorcycles...

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Justjens

Bad bad shot last Friday in the rain at night on Pembroke St but however, better than none

Anyone fancy a test drive?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Jensen-Interceptor-RUF-340M-/261662113295?pt=Automobiles_UK&hash=item3cec46fe0f

Never heard of a '57 Caprice wagon ?? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭kfog

DSCN2420.jpg
    DSCN2409.jpg
    DSCN2399.jpg
    DSCN2388.jpg
    DSCN2369.jpg

• Advertisement

DSCN2367.jpg
    DSCN2355.jpg
    DSCN2341.jpg