Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

^^^^ 75-WX-571 or 810?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

Thought this was US spec from a far. Very US spec-esque anyway, noticed it was Rhd though;
    16326428839_33ee25e1b8_c.jpg
    16512704485_ac61dc1f45_c.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 65,455 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

That Volvo is interesting. According to carsireland it's a '83. That means it can not be a turbo as that wasn't introduced until '84. So why the turbo badge?

And afaik the 6 in the 760 means it's a 6 pot (petrol or diesel) until the turbo 4 pot was introduced

Or am I missing something here?

unkel wrote: »
    And afaik the 6 in the 760 means it's a 6 pot (petrol or diesel) until the turbo 4 pot was introduced

It don't work like that.

A 360 is not a six pot (4). A 780 is not an 8 pot (4/6). A "4" is just a scummier version of "6" even if they are both the same trim spec (L/DL/DLS/GL/GLE/GLS/GLT) (approximately).

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭JohnxF

Thought this was US spec from a far. Very US spec-esque anyway, noticed it was Rhd though;

Look at the size of the modern Fiat 500 beside it! :eek: Makes the Volvo look small and back in the day that was the big Volvo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

macplaxton wrote: »
    ^^^^ 75-WX-571 or 810?

571 I think. Beige colour

w124man wrote: »
    Saw a 75WX Rover 3500 in Bunclody today. Looked really well
    ^^^^ 75-WX-571 or 810?
    571 I think. Beige colour

Ta, I was confusing 75-WX-571 with 75-W-810. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056425381

3710467451_4237364c0c_z.jpg
    1975 Rover 3500 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Have the plates been changed since this photo taken Jun 2009?

(If it hasn't and you see him again, tell him that's the wrong font for starters...:P)

There is a P6 in that colour with the same type of plates living in Coolock industrial estate with a few other tasty motors incl. a Ferrari 412.

Not sure if thats it but I'm sure its on 75 plates too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,244 ✭✭✭swarlb

unkel wrote: »
    That Volvo is interesting. According to carsireland it's a '83. That means it can not be a turbo as that wasn't introduced until '84. So why the turbo badge?

Or am I missing something here?

The chassis number of that particular car is..
    YV1 704 86 2 D 1 0 29911

'86' is the engine type which is B230ET, which stands for 2.3 182hp Turbo.
    'D' is the year which is 1983
    '2' is the gearbox M46 (m = manual)
    And that info, is all available through the wonders of the internet (with a little help from an 'official' source)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

Patww79 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

It is, I love 'em

Ta, I was confusing 75-WX-571 with 75-W-810. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056425381

3710467451_4237364c0c_z.jpg
    1975 Rover 3500 by macplaxton, on Flickr

Have the plates been changed since this photo taken Jun 2009?

(If it hasn't and you see him again, tell him that's the wrong font for starters...:P)

Oddly enough, it was the correctness of the font that stuck out ....... :D

The car looks just as it does in your pic except a little mud spattered.

:D I think maybe one of the reasons for a white plate with "GB" digits (look 3 1/8" from here) is that like other Rovers, the P6 has an oversize rear plate plinth.

rover-p6-3500s_14038.jpg
    11822532554_9f0384b146_z.jpg
    1982 Rover P6 3500 S by charlie cars, on Flickr

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

I think we'll have to start a 'Reg plate fetish' thread here :p

But in reality it shows a certain attention-to-detail that is necessary in restoration ;)

The 75 WX doesn't look too bad though black/silver would have been better ;)

The Rovers/Jags always seemed to have the bigger number plate surrounds that some decided to fill with a complete plate (like the YDO one)rather than the standard oblong plate (like the MGK one),
    http://www.simoncars.co.uk/rover/roverp5.html
    http://www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/xj_press_photos.htm

even recently the Rover 75 was getting that treatment http://carsadel-ds.com/images1/rover-75-20-5.jpg

Regarding fonts etc , the ones I hate most are the 'ZV' plates / old Irish, done in the post 90 font - total no-no :mad: sheer laziness :mad: (down to the local motor factors rather than researching something more appropriate )
    Speaking of motor factors, Rathgar motor factors http://www.partsforcars.ie/index.htm do a large range of UK style black/silver plates ( though their website doesn't really push them :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 384 ✭✭Dermo123

Capri wrote: »
    I think we'll have to start a 'Reg plate fetish' thread here :p

Yes indeed .... what a good idea!
    Capri wrote: »
    But in reality it shows a certain attention-to-detail that is necessary in restoration ;)

The 75 WX doesn't look too bad though black/silver would have been better ;)

Speaking of attention to detail which one of these plates is correct - not in a legal sense but in a detail sense ....

IMG_0714aa_zpsa89c2340.jpg

IMG_1313a_zpsd42bb7cc.jpg

Top one for four feck-off screws holding it down Merc-stylee?

(Fat fingered double post using a moby....doh)

Actually the four screws Merc stylee are incorrect as they are Phillips screws and should be slot head! However, the bottom plate is now mounted with the four correct screws but I have no pics yet!

The bottom plate's fonts were measured from an original old '90 plate that came with the car from new so are period correct. It took ages to get someone to make the plates up over 6 years ago but its much easier now to get them made up. The font is, however, slightly thicker (1.5mm) than this one which is also correct and was on the car as it drove out of the garage

IMG_0390_zps06503bee.jpg

Actually the four screws Merc stylee are incorrect as they are Phillips screws and should be slot head! However, the bottom plate is now mounted with the four correct screws but I have no pics yet!

The bottom plate's fonts were measured from an original old '90 plate that came with the car from new so are period correct. It took ages to get someone to make the plates up over 6 years ago but its much easier now to get them made up. The font is, however, slightly thicker (1.5mm) than this one which is also correct and was on the car as it drove out of the garage

IMG_0390_zps06503bee.jpg

The Polo's one is correct, IIRC the letters were so thin they'd break at the slighest touch before the reflective tape was rolled over them - friend of mine worked in car rental and they had a machine that'd do both Northie and RoI plates/fonts as some cars were going to the Belfast depot after registration (don't ask me about VAT/VRT/??? scams :rolleyes: )

Cat amongst the pigeons thought - get a Polish mate to get Irish plates made in Poland :eek: http://www.worldlicenseplates.com/world/EU_POLA.html

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Speaking of attention to detail which one of these plates is correct - not in a legal sense but in a detail sense ....

IMG_1313a_zpsd42bb7cc.jpg

Nice plates ....shame about the non-period surround ;):D

Can I just say, its nice to know there are more plate anoraks out there on this island. I thought I was alone :P

Top one for four feck-off screws holding it down Merc-stylee?

If you're going to expose the reg plate screws/bolts then THESE are the Dog's B.......S :eek: http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Factory-OutLet-60pcs-Mercedes-Benz-amg-Lorinser-License-Plate-Frame-Chrome-Bolts-Screws-Holder-Stainless-Steel/2000778218.html

Can I just say, its nice to know there are more plate anoraks out there on this island. I thought I was alone

I thought the Brits won hands down for reg plate 'anorakness' but we have it ourselves, albeit without the ability to transfer plates / make up 'spot the message' plates but we're doing alright with what we have :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Yes indeed .... what a good idea!

Bottom one is more correct. The blue EU flag was introduced in 1991 so that car would never have had those plates from new.

Found this on my old blackberry from last month. Had leather seats and everything.
    16433914231_b7bf97ce16_c.jpg
    16249421859_73a406d3dc_c.jpg

Silvera wrote: »
    Nice plates ....shame about the non-period surround ;):D

Yes ..... that was during my 'chrome' period! Binned and correctly mounted now!

Yes ..... that was during my 'chrome' period! Binned and correctly mounted now!

Are these the 'correct/original' MB licence plate chrome backing plates :confused:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/CHROME-NUMBER-PLATE-SURROUNDS-MERCEDES/dp/B004ZH0F72

Radiator Services door display (Rutland place ) and 'Hatman's' Merc 280SE with correct plate surround, but UK font plate :o

Some daily/ Sunday drivers -

Great spots Capri as usual.

I know the owner of that Dolly. He bought a few parts from me when I broke my Dolly last year. Have seen him at a few shows too, nice chap, lovely car.

• Advertisement

OPW Unimog (79?) still in service

'Vintage' Transit (advertising the Bray show ) :D

US spec gold 71D (?)SL Pagoda seen outside D Wallace on Sussex Tce and ZV 7000? 300 6.3 on Anglesea Rd early today also

Advertisement