Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭mikehn

He has another one in Storage but requiring restoration, I dont think it will ever see the road, pity. He was telling me he's off to the UK this week to pick up a classic caravan. Classic car and classic caravan, whats next.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

IMHO the DS is one of the ugliest cars ever made, it’s like the French tried to build a VW Bug and failed miserably, yeah yeah I know about the fancy suspension and a "design ahead of its time" BS but it’s still U-G-L-Y

Flame Suit ON

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

IMHO the DS is one of the ugliest cars ever made, it’s like the French tried to build a VW Bug and failed miserably, yeah yeah I know about the fancy suspension and a "design ahead of its time" BS but it’s still U-G-L-Y

Flame Suit ON

Jayzus relax and put the kettle on there and make yourself a nice hot cup of tea.

Car design, like all design is subjective, some people might love one design, others will hate it, most people would be in the middle of the road (excuse the pun).

A lot of people, myself included, like the DS. But I like almost all old Citroens which very few people do. I know people who adore the DS, but think the 2CV or Ami 6 are awful. That's OK. I don't get offended, neither should you. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

I love old Citroens but I do think the DS Safari was something Steptoe dreamt up!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Flame Suit ON
    :D

It's a good example of mid century modernism before that became almost a dirty word, when the modern didn't quite turn out the way it was supposed to. The design itself will tend to illicit a marmite response. You'll either love it or hate it kinda thing. Hard to ignore though and that for me is a goodly chunk of what makes for good design. Added to that are all the innovations piled into the one car.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

It's an exceptional shape, and it's undoubtably interesting. I wouldn't call it beautiful, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

C'mon guys, whats not beautiful about this ....

68-Citroen-DS_Conv_DV-09_LD_01.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

How couldn't you?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

I think that looks loads nicer than the hardtop

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

and built on a safari floorpan what more could you want

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I don't know why but I'm getting a deja vu to Pink Panther cartoons.

w124man wrote: »
    C'mon guys, whats not beautiful about this ....
    The colour!

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

Dades wrote: »
    The colour!
    Ok, so you don;t like the maroon :), how about deep metallic blue?
    20-3-citroen-ds-chapron-cabriolet-1967-cream.jpg?w=748

And if that wasn't enough, what about the special order "Jaeger Lecoultre" dashboard panels in these Chapron DS convertibles
    autowp-ru_citroen_ds_19_cabriolet_7.jpg?w=748

• Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

Im officially in Hell :devil:

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    My favourite colour! I'll admit it looks pretty stunning. Just not sure if it's "me". :P

If a car isn't quite "you", then that's OK, but I think one should still be open minded enough to look through a personal taste or preference and be able to judge the importance of a car's design, or advanced technology, naturally all set off against the period the car was introduced. Even though the design might not appeal to someone, it's clear if you look at the way the car was designed, it really works and it was cleverly done. There's plenty of cars, in which the design miserably failed and whereby a car just looks odd from any angle... Perhaps an idea to start a new thread to list car that have a failed design :)
    There is no mistaking that when you look at the time the DS was introduced it was a very, very bold design, and all the technology crammed into that car was mindbogling, again at the time it was introduced. But even now some of the innovative technology would still stand the test of time: 
    - hydropneumatic suspension is still amongst the best, most comfortable ride, even so that Rolls-Royce and Mercedes decided to use the technology in modified form (under license). It was even used on Tanks!
    - headlamp that turn into the direction of the steering wheel. Shame that didn;t take off, as it really was a great and safe idea.
    - semi automatic gearbox: just pull the lever on the dash to change gears, no clutch pedal: sort of a crude predecessor of the steering wheel paddle shift!!
    and many more

I like this version as well. €44,500. I know somebody who spent that on an Audi A6 that could blend in anywhere. :)

For sale here.
    $_20.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Aaaaaaaanyways, back on track. Navan this evening:

20170215_193400.jpgphoto uploader

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    20-3-citroen-ds-chapron-cabriolet-1967-cream.jpg?w=748

that looks like it should be flying not on wheels

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

Half restored Lancia at Retromobile Paris ,, can you caption it?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

11wingnut wrote: »

#fcukingdumbidea.com

[no offence intended to you, 11wingnut]

2 cylinder, 2 speed gearbox?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭11wingnut

retromobil

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,159 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

"We show what's under the paint of every classic Italian beauty". :D

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

retromobil

I'm trying to make out the badging on the wing - "Le Gangy"?? I may not be reading it correctly, I take it they were the coachbuilders?

"Good news, honey! We're going for a spin in the Flavia! Bad news is you're in the passenger seat."

tc20 wrote: »
    I'm trying to make out the badging on the wing - "Le Gangy"?? I may not be reading it correctly, I take it they were the coachbuilders?

It's "Le Dandy", the coupe of the DS built by Henri Chapron. I have one at home, sadly it's the 1/18 version by Minichamps. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Glasnevin this morning. A regular around the area;

20170219_171142.jpgadult image upload

Drumcondra this morning. Must get one of these for the stagger home!

20170219_171315.jpgimage hosting over 10mb

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭Testacalda

Spotted in Kenmare last night, Morris Traveller

Advertisement