Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Today I saw a classic and took a pic thread! Part 2

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Rare enough sight these days. Especially in black.

Blackrock yesterday.
    D9sx93B.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Testacalda wrote: »
    Spotted in Kenmare last night, Morris Traveller

Always parked there, it's featured on here a few times.

M7 today heading south. Ford pop?

20170220_160710.jpgfree photo hosting

20170220_113035.jpgimage upload with preview

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭woejus

Lyrr202.jpg
    OYMqQDK.jpg
    hS4Qc0n.jpg

Bentley Corniche. Original radio in it. Knackered interior trim.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Coincidence: last two cars both with original Kildare (IO) reg's.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

M7 today heading south. Ford pop?
    Ford Prefect I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,428 ✭✭✭tc20

recent spots -

the W108 is coming up as a '64 2195cc, so I'm guessing its 220SE (b?) - it looked to be sitting fairly low, perhaps intentionally so?
    The Pagoda is a LHD
    Not sure on the last one, spotted as I was coming north out of Wexford town, but a fine imposing car indeed

• Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭PaulK_CCI

The Mercedes Coupe and Convertible do strictly speaking not have the model designation W108, that is only for the Saloon S-class from 65 - 71, whereby the 300SE(L) with air suspension carried the designation W109.
    The old 6 cyl fintail Saloon and the Coupe/Convertibles are called the W111 series. Even after the W108/109 replaced the fintails, the coupe/convertibles were still called W111 (whereby the 300SE(L) Fintail Saloon and 300SE Coupe/Convertible with airsuspension were called the W112 series).

It looks to be on aftermarket alloys with wide tyres and yes, I think she's lowered a bit.
    The last car is difficult to determine but at first glance I would guess it's a Rolls Royce Silver Wraith with a Hooper style body...

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

A few recent spots:

Dublin 8

IMG_1957_zpsmuy3bvsd.jpg

Dublin 8

IMG_1961_zpsgpn6lfbz.jpg

Dublin 8

IMG_1959_zpsvmmgzawo.jpg

Swords, Co Dublin

IMG_1892_zps4mi5ecki.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭Slideways

Posted in the main car forum but for those who don't frequent there...

5E50047B-CB81-4056-908A-8C61A14A2594.jpg

• Advertisement

Skerries, Co Dublin today. (A Citroen I presume?)

IMG_2001_zpsekwih4ib.jpg

IMG_1998_zps9aban2op.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭Duke O Smiley

That rear number plate is criminal!

Oooooh, a Citroen traction avant, imo one of the most beautiful cars ever made. Didn't know there was one in Ireland, great spot.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

That rear number plate is criminal!

Looks compliant with the law though :P:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

macplaxton wrote: »
    Looks compliant with the law though :P:D

But unnecessary, it's perfectly legal on pre 1991 (euro plate) cars to have the style of plate available in the year of manufacture - ours have the black/silver on one and the original white front and red rear on the other

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

You couldn't give away those 308 gt4's a few years ago. I'm always worried about the classic car market when deeply unpopular Ferrari's start commanding big money.

I think Top Gear did an item about 10-15 years ago with a supercar challenge for under 10k. I think Hammond turned up in a battered yellow 308GT4. Clarkson I think in a Maserati Merak and May in a Lambo Urraco.
    Even when the program aired I think those priced were already 'pushing' it a little, but nowadays you couldn't even get a quarter of a car for that sort of money

• Registered Users Posts: 287 ✭✭winnie the schtink

TrailerBob wrote: »
    But unnecessary, it's perfectly legal on pre 1991 (euro plate) cars to have the style of plate available in the year of manufacture - ours have the black/silver on one and the original white front and red rear on the other

even if it was first registered in this country after 1991

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

You couldn't give away those 308 gt4's a few years ago. I'm always worried about the classic car market when deeply unpopular Ferrari's start commanding big money.

Lowest I've ever seen a GT4 sell for in decent condition was €20,000. It was easily driveable and was road registered, but needed about €1000 of work to get through it's next TUV. That was cheap. Very good (not concours) ones were always €40,000+. You'll pay over €60,000 for a good one today.

The cheapest decent Ferrari was always the Mondial or the 400/412, €20,000 would get you a good (almost very good) Mondial in Germany about 4 years ago. You'll pay €50,000 for the same car today. They're much maligned, mostly because of their looks, but a very decent car and they handle and drive well, as well as being very reliable for a Ferrari.

James May's Uracco was sold to the production company for around £14,000 and some work was done to it before the filming. That's what I heard from a reliable source, but I've no way of proving it.

Oh yeah, you could pick up a Porsche 959 for around €200,000 and an F40 for €220-260,000 in Germany 4 years ago. You'll pay close to €1,000,000 for either of them today.

is it a bubble? technically yes, but there's big demand for these from emerging economies and the kids of the 70's and 80's are making more money in greater numbers than ever before, so there's a bigger market out there for these cars. if it collapses, it won't go down to where it was around 2012/3, IMO. It won't be a repeat of the Uk classic car crash in 1991/92. But how far down it goes, if it does go down is anybodys guess.

I brought in a 1970 Porsche 911S with a fresh engine rebuild for a customer back in 2000 for something along the lines of 18k. A year later he wanted me to sell it again for him, and we couldn't give it away at the time. Ultimately we let it go for 16k! In 2014 this same car was offered onto the market again for an even then staggering price tag of 100.000 euro's. which even I thought was silly at the time. But three years on, a good solid matching numbers "S" will set you back at least 120-140k...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭w124man

Red Kev wrote: »

Oh yeah, you could pick up a Porsche 959 for around €200,000 and an F40 for €220-260,000 in Germany 4 years ago. You'll pay close to €1,000,000 for either of them today.

You might just scrape an auld F40 in for under €1,000,000.00 ...... you wouldn't get a whole lot of 959 for that money!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,465 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    I think Top Gear did an item about 10-15 years ago with a supercar challenge for under 10k. I think Hammond turned up in a battered yellow 308GT4. Clarkson I think in a Maserati Merak and May in a Lambo Urraco.
    Even when the program aired I think those priced were already 'pushing' it a little, but nowadays you couldn't even get a quarter of a car for that sort of money

Description that stuck in my mind from that program from about 07/08 I think:

these cars make you look like Peter Stringfellow's less successful younger brother

Dundrum this morning.

IMG_2008%201_zps6mglwnev.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,793 ✭✭✭Red Kev

Mid 1982 registration, rear bumper is a bit odd for that year. I'd stick a red plate on it for nostalgia's sake. Nice to see it out and about though, I really like those Coupe's.

Red Kev wrote: »
    Lowest I've ever seen a GT4 sell for in decent condition was €20,000.

Back in the '90s Autotrader was littered with them for £6-£7K. They were 20 years old and the tinworm was starting to take hold,and their value did not justify the expensive remedial work that was needed. So they ended up in various council estates and BBC motoring programs until they fell apart.

As a result of this cull, the actual number of decent gt4's is relatively low, so values have gone up. Excellent examples @ £30k is probably reasonable, but ropey examples at £40k+ is madness.

Description that stuck in my mind from that program from about 07/08 I think:

these cars make you look like Peter Stringfellow's less successful younger brother

My favorite quote from TG mag back then was "Buy a Ferrari for Mondeo money!!"

Quickly followed by "Sell it for Fiesta money"... :(

Registrations don't come much better than this! :)

BMW633CSi.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 643 ✭✭✭duskyjoe

PaulK_CCI wrote: »
    I brought in a 1970 Porsche 911S with a fresh engine rebuild for a customer back in 2000 for something along the lines of 18k. A year later he wanted me to sell it again for him, and we couldn't give it away at the time. Ultimately we let it go for 16k! In 2014 this same car was offered onto the market again for an even then staggering price tag of 100.000 euro's. which even I thought was silly at the time. But three years on, a good solid matching numbers "S" will set you back at least 120-140k...
    I sold a very special Porsche 930 highly modified for 37k stg in 07.....worth 120k today 😰

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Bus Boy

duskyjoe wrote: »
    I sold a very special Porsche 930 highly modified for 37k stg in 07.....worth 120k today 😰

And yes it was. Dreamy some might say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Registrations don't come much better than this! :)

Great to see that this car is still on the road, I remember seeing it around Dublin when it was new.

Advertisement