Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bangladesh continue to sink to new lows as a "cricket" team.

• 17-06-2014 6:07pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-india-2014/engine/match/744681.html

For a nation that loses all the time and often quite badly, especially at home, this is a disgraceful performance.

Chasing a modest 105 against India reserves, Stuart ****ing Binny rips them apart, 4 overs bowled, six wickets taken. :pac:

We have been waiting for them to get more competitive for a long time but it just does not seem it will ever happen, they no longer can claim inexperience as they play loads of cricket and are quite experienced.

I suppose as I am Irish its easy to be jealous, if only we were given 1/10 the chance of Bangladesh.

Anyways, the rest of you, what do you think of Bangladesh?

Is it ever going to happen?

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,810 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Unbelievable, their fans really deserve better.

To be honest I don't get why they havent shown any improvement the last 10 years, I thought since cricket was so popular there it would just sort of happen. As an Irish fan though it sickening to think of how much money has been wasted by them and Zimbabwe the last years with nothing to show for it, and what Ireland and Afghanistan are achieving with a pittance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,384 ✭✭✭booth70

Rjd2 wrote: »
    http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh-v-india-2014/engine/match/744681.html

For a nation that loses all the time and often quite badly, especially at home, this is a disgraceful performance.

Chasing a modest 105 against India reserves, Stuart ****ing Binny rips them apart, 4 overs bowled, six wickets taken. :pac:

We have been waiting for them to get more competitive for a long time but it just does not seem it will ever happen, they no longer can claim inexperience as they play loads of cricket and are quite experienced.

I suppose as I am Irish its easy to be jealous, if only we were given 1/10 the chance of Bangladesh.

Anyways, the rest of you, what do you think of Bangladesh?

Is it ever going to happen?

Totally agree

Bangladesh have probably the most passionate set of cricket fans in the world....but they have a team that dosen't deserve the fans

If their national side can't compete with the India A side then God help them....this after their captain had a go at the Indian selectors for sending a second string side.....they have had enough chances....what is it about 15 years of Test cricket and 3 wins (2 against the mighty Zimbabwe)!!!

Teams like Ireland and Holland will struggle against the big teams as well but they almost certainly will be consistently more competitive than Bangladesh

Ireland have been knocking on the doors long enough .....Its high time the ICC strip Bangladesh of their Test status and look at replacing them with Ireland

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

What actually happened with that game yesterday? My first reaction when I saw the scorecard was that the pitch must have been a complete minefield.

I agree about Bangladesh though; there is no way at this stage that they should be retaining test status while showing little to no improvement. Its actually an insult to the sides like Ireland, Afghanistan, Holland etc who have made such huge strides forward at associate level but never look like getting a chance at the top level. Bangladesh have had their chance, its now time for themselves and Zimbabwe to be relegated out of test status to give someone else a chance.

Just checked Cricinfo.....

Bangladesh's record.....

Tests

4 wins in 83 (2 against a depleted West Indian side and 2 against the might of Zimbabwe)

ODI

80 wins in 277 (but only 27 of those wins against the test playing nations)

5-2 v Ireland
    31-28 v Zimbabwe

Just not good enough for a nation that got full member status 15 years ago

I agree Tests and One dayers are two different ball games but to put it into perspective SL got full member status in 1982 and were World champions in 1996

I genuinely thought they had won more than 4 test matches. Thats pathetic. They have only drawn a further 11. How on earth are they justifying their continuing existance at test level? :confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

booth70 wrote: »
    Just checked Cricinfo.....

Bangladesh's record.....

Tests

4 wins in 83 (2 against a depleted West Indian side and 2 against the might of Zimbabwe)

ODI

80 wins in 277 (but only 27 of those wins against the test playing nations)

5-2 v Ireland
    31-28 v Zimbabwe

Just not good enough for a nation that got full member status 15 years ago

I agree Tests and One dayers are two different ball games but to put it into perspective SL got full member status in 1982 and were World champions in 1996

You are been very kind their, that was their reserve team as all their players were on strike:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭minitrue

djimi wrote: »
    What actually happened with that game yesterday? My first reaction when I saw the scorecard was that the pitch must have been a complete minefield.
    cricinfo wrote:
    It was a difficult pitch to bat on, and by the time Bangladesh were batting the ball was beginning to bounce up awkwardly in addition to moving around all over the place.
    We didn't have to do special things, just bowl on one spot.
    Plenty of bowlers suggesting they'd like to bring the pitch with them. Probably neither side did themselves any justice with the bat but the shock of playing on a <150 pitch rather then a >250 road was too much for anyone on either side to adjust to it seems. Perhaps we should stop preparing pitches as well as we do when Bangladesh visit (I won't even pretend we will ever see the Indians coming here).

The schadenfreude and bitterness here is really quite miserable. If Bangladesh have their Test status revoked it will only mean even more caution about ever considering elevating any other side to "permanent" Test status. We need to fight on our own merits for a fairer chance rather then pulling out the knives for others. While you guys are bitching we continue to do that in College Park where are 3 day InterPro tournament continues its second year. Here's hoping we can get that tournament up to first-class standards and recognised as such before we next win the ICup and get a "Test play-off".

minitrue wrote: »
    Plenty of bowlers suggesting they'd like to bring the pitch with them. Probably neither side did themselves any justice with the bat but the shock of playing on a <150 pitch rather then a >250 road was too much for anyone on either side to adjust to it seems. Perhaps we should stop preparing pitches as well as we do when Bangladesh visit (I won't even pretend we will ever see the Indians coming here).

The schadenfreude and bitterness here is really quite miserable. If Bangladesh have their Test status revoked it will only mean even more caution about ever considering elevating any other side to "permanent" Test status. We need to fight on our own merits for a fairer chance rather then pulling out the knives for others. While you guys are bitching we continue to do that in College Park where are 3 day InterPro tournament continues its second year. Here's hoping we can get that tournament up to first-class standards and recognised as such before we next win the ICup and get a "Test play-off".

The 'Test play off" is only a dream and will probably never happen bcos there is no will on the part of the ICC to promote Associate nations towards test status

From the internet.....

"2014-2016 ICC Intercontinental Cup

As of October 2013, there is no confirmation that the Intercontinental Cup, or it's one-day counterpart the World Cricket League, will continue in their current format, although ICC decisions related to the 2019 World Cup have fueled speculation that there will be significant changes to the format of Associate/Affiliate competition structures. The 2019 World Cup will comprise the top 8 ranked Full Members, and the top 2 teams from a qualifying tournament. According to a leaked ICC document "Eight teams will compete in the qualifying tournament. These teams will be the ones ranked from 9th to 12th on the ICC ODI ranking table, the first and second on the World Cricket League Championship, and two from the World Cricket League pathway tournaments" Given the 11th and 12th ranked teams usually overlap with 1st and 2nd in the WCL, this document assumes two teams above the WCL, in addition to the 10 Full Members. As Intercontinental Cup matches are part of mini-tours, alongside WCL and sometimes T20s, and in the absence of a statement on the future of the competition, there is no guarantee that the competition will continue from 2014."

In an already crowded Test calendar I cannot fathom how Ireland (or indeed any other associate nation) can be elevated to Test status without another country making way for them

Bangladesh have had 15 years to prove that they belong at this level but they have made NO progress at the international level and their continued presence at the top level should not be at the expense of another country

I don't have the knives out for anyone, I'm just all too aware how greedy cricket is at the top level, and while the pie is being shared between the test nations, there will only ever be so many slices to go around. I dont think we will see an 11th team play a meaningful part in test cricket while the ICC continues in its current form, so for me it's going to mean someone dropping out. For various reasons both Zimbabwe and Bangladesh probably do not deserve to be a permanent fixture at test level, and I see no reason at all why they either can't make way, or share the status I order to allow some other nations play at the highest level.

I have nothing against Bangladesh or Zimbabwe on a personal level! I don't feel that either of them offer any more to the game than the top ranked associates, and I feel that it's time that some of those associates started getting the chance that they deserve.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,144 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

So Shakib their greatest ever player has been suspended for six months for not wanting to go to a training camp when he was playing in the CPL.

The fail is strong with the BCB.

http://www.espncricinfo.com/bangladesh/content/current/story/758155.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement