Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WD 120GB SSD --- Space usage question

Options
  • 17-06-2014 6:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭

Hey, just a curious question more than anything really...

I've read up that an SSD's goes slower, or it's lifespan shortens, or whatever... the more memory is used on it.

That being said, When I selected every file and folder in C: [which is the SSD, where Windows is installed], and right click to view the size it takes up 22.6GB. And then when I look at C:'s properties, it shows 52GB being used. So I've got 66.8GB free...

Where's the 29.4GB being used hiding? o.O

The C:\Windows folder alone is 16.1GB

( And yes, I got Show hidden files option enabled )

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭maki

BeerWolf wrote: »
    Hey, just a curious question more than anything really...

I've read up that an SSD's goes slower, or it's lifespan shortens, or whatever... the more memory is used on it.

That being said, When I selected every file and folder in C: [which is the SSD, where Windows is installed], and right click to view the size it takes up 22.6GB. And then when I look at C:'s properties, it shows 52GB being used. So I've got 66.8GB free...

Where's the 29.4GB being used hiding? o.O

The C:\Windows folder alone is 16.1GB

( And yes, I got Show hidden files option enabled )

Pagefile (pagefile.sys) and hibernate (hyberfil.sys) take up a fairly big chunk and are hidden by default. They won't be included under a right-click properties summary unless you have it set to show protected operating system files. You also have system restore points which are similar.

If you want to see it all, give windirstat a go.

Also, regarding SSD's getting slower over time, and getting slower with more used space: while yes it's true, it's pretty much negligible. You're not going to notice it unless you're running a benchmark to check for it.

For your average consumer SSD which you're probably going to be replacing inside of 8 or so years, go nuts. Fill it up and write to it as much as you like.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,259 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

scan with windirstat

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭BopNiblets

I had a read of this the other day, sometimes I think my SSD is bottlenecking my system (opening apps takes a while, disk usage is usually at 100% in task manager)

http://www.maketecheasier.com/12-things-you-must-do-when-running-a-solid-state-drive-in-windows-7/

Advertisement