Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

73k wasted in Midleton

Options
  • 17-06-2014 7:04pm
    Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭

Anyone see the waste of money monument on riverside way in Midleton and to add insult to injury there is half a million worth of statues coming soon according to the paper today.

The Midleton Urban Council seems to have just spent the money for the sake of spending it before the county Council took over.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

the Nellie Cashman statue is it? 73k? hmm.

• Registered Users Posts: 282 ✭✭Lambofdave

Yes according to the paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,273 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

deRanged wrote: »
    the Nellie Cashman statue is it? 73k? hmm.

How come public art comes with that sort of price tag? Is it gold plated or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,952 ✭✭✭Lando Griffin

How come public art comes with that sort of price tag? Is it gold plated or something?

Its probably sculpted from the one lump of bronze.

Its probably sculpted from the one lump of bronze.

Granite actually.

These artists seem to pick figures out of the air for their work and councils are prepared to pay silly money for what is a glorified headstone.

http://www.michaeldisley.com/#!Nellie-Cashman-Installation--Midleton-Cork-2014/c118g/00089410-3A8A-416B-A15B-6B130885601F

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,278 ✭✭✭mordeith

Granite actually.

These artists seem to pick figures out of the air for their work and councils are prepared to pay silly money for what is a glorified headstone.

http://www.michaeldisley.com/#!Nellie-Cashman-Installation--Midleton-Cork-2014/c118g/00089410-3A8A-416B-A15B-6B130885601F

I'd say €70,00 went to the contractors to install it

• Registered Users Posts: 3,029 ✭✭✭Rhys Essien

I dont see the problem here and its looks like a fine monument.Afterall,there has been politicians and councillors claiming the same money as this in expenses.At least we have something to see here.

I never heard of this woman Nellie Cashman.Why was this monument put in Midleton when she was from Belvelly in Cobh?.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nellie_Cashman

P*ssing money away is still p*ssing money away when clearly something less expensive would do just as well.

As to the location, maybe it was felt that not enough people would see this hunk of rock if sited in Belvelly.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭deRanged

we were a bit confused by that too - but when I went looking I found a note that she lived in Midleton as a child, near where the statue is.

can't find it again mind you!

• Registered Users Posts: 16 OssifiedEd

Would you of rather the money be handed back and not be spent in Midleton? I think the monuments bring a bit of character to the place and with a time limit to spend the money it was money well spent in my opinion. The Choctaw monument is my favourite.

• Advertisement

Money might be better spent on something like, oh I dunno, flood defences!!

Hindsight is a wonderful thing. No one could of predicted the flooding that occurred due to the serious amount of rainfall we had so if they had the wonderful idea of using it for flood defences yes it would of been brilliant but at the same time the money they have spent would have not made a dent in the money that would be needed in total to create an adequate flood defence system in Midleton.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,435 ✭✭✭wandatowell

I think the Nellie Cashman monument is ugly. She looks like something from Sesame Street. The one of the geese chasing the kid looks out of place and small (though it is expertly crafted) and well I like the Pikeman one by the court house.

I would have liked the town council/planners to perhaps have accepted ideas from the towns people as to what they would have liked done.
    Maybe there is a fourm for this but I'm not awear of it.

What really pisses me off are the traffic lights by Aldi/Lidl. When the traffic light as down traffic flows so much freely.

I would agree with the traffic lights especially around half 8 in the morning. Why was the Nellie Cashman monument put there when she was from Cobh? That's nearly the only monument I don't like.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,464 ✭✭✭Markcheese

I know art is a personal thing but that yoke is manky, the pikeman and the boy and geese are good , but you'd wonder about midleton Udc lumbering cork coco with the bill..
    The feathers on bealic road (visable from n25 eastbound) look fantastic, but I think that piece is only on loan ...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Advertisement