Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help recommending a heart rate monitor ?

• 17-06-2014 7:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭

hi folks,

I'm looking for a heart rate monitor that displays info to a watch shaped receiver on my wrist, but I also want the receiver to display info from the mapmyrun app on my iphone.

Basically I want the watch to tell me, heart rate, distance and time.

I can see a few of them online, some seem to do either the heart rate OR the data from the iphone app, not both.

I realise that I'll probably have to use a chest strap for accurate heart rate, as the wrist sensors have bad reviews.

I've never used one before , the sensor thing in the middle looks bulky, is it? does it stick out a mile under your t-shirt ?

thanks for any advice

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,083 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Get a Garmin, Polar, Sunnto or Timex GPS / HR watch.
    Prices from €80 - €450.
    Reviews here

• Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

The sensor isn't too bulky at all, takes a little getting used to, but not much! It definately isn't sticking out. Barely noticeable.

Plenty of the basic models of the brands above do both GPS and heart rate. Amazon are worth looking at when you decide on which model suits you best. The garmin ones have a good reputation, and I'm happy with mine. Can't speak for the other brands although plenty go for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭Mimojo

Sorry to hijack this thread, but I am also looking for a GPS watch with HRM, preferably a Garmin.

Have seen the Garmin 110 for €116 online at the moment with HRM, but is this a very basic/older model? Looking at the Forerunner 15 also, that is around about the €200 mark give or take.

I am just starting out so dont want to spend an absolutely fortune, but do want something that is going to last me a year or two & that I an upload the data online & review it etc.

Any advice is appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭showtime

Hi,

I ended up going with the Majellan Echo Smart Running Watch & heart rate monitor.

I like it. It integrates flawlessly with the "mapmyrun" iPhone app I have been using for a few month now.

It will display, distance, pace, calories, time, heart rate, even what song I'm listening to (and you can skip track with one of the buttons too)

It's great to be able to see these stats on your wrist as my phone is on my armband and I can't really unlock and see it without stopping.

It cos me around €135 on an eBay auction, which is good cos I've seen them go for over €200 from other retailers

showtime wrote: »
    Hi,

I ended up going with the Majellan Echo Smart Running Watch & heart rate monitor.

I like it. It integrates flawlessly with the "mapmyrun" iPhone app I have been using for a few month now.

It will display, distance, pace, calories, time, heart rate, even what song I'm listening to (and you can skip track with one of the buttons too)

It's great to be able to see these stats on your wrist as my phone is on my armband and I can't really unlock and see it without stopping.

It cos me around €135 on an eBay auction, which is good cos I've seen them go for over €200 from other retailers

Thanks! That sounds good actually, I am using Endomondo at the moment which is really good, but like that when its on my armband you cant see it without stopping. It does give a prompt each km with your pace, but having a HRM would be really handy I think, and having the stats on your wrist would be a lot more helpful. Also being able to skip tracks on your music would be really handy. Must look into that one, thanks for the info!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 803 ✭✭✭JohnDozer

If you were willing to take a risk on it, Aldi have one with a hrm for 80€ this Sunday!

JohnDozer wrote: »
    If you were willing to take a risk on it, Aldi have one with a hrm for 80€ this Sunday!

Thanks I had spotted that, just kinda want a Garmin so that I can use track online, and am a little sceptical about the Aldi one, but it could be great for all I know!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,018 ✭✭✭opus

Mimojo wrote: »
    Thanks I had spotted that, just kinda want a Garmin so that I can use track online, and am a little sceptical about the Aldi one, but it could be great for all I know!

I'm quite sceptical about the new Garmins models! GPS performance compared to the older ones is much worse, my 620 has me running in the river Lee a surprising amount of the time whereas my old 310xt was normally spot on. Having said that it's much lighter, has some cool features & the new HRM strap is much better. Hopefully it will get sorted out with s/w updates but from what I read Garmin went with a cheaper GPS chipset this time round hence the accuracy problems.

opus wrote: »
    I'm quite sceptical about the new Garmins models! GPS performance compared to the older ones is much worse, my 620 has me running in the river Lee a surprising amount of the time whereas my old 310xt was normally spot on. Having said that it's much lighter, has some cool features & the new HRM strap is much better. Hopefully it will get sorted out with s/w updates but from what I read Garmin went with a cheaper GPS chipset this time round hence the accuracy problems.

Thanks for the info, I havent a clue about this so any advice is a help! I have been trying to read various reviews, by the sounds of things the 110 is a very basic model, but does have the HRM, whereas the 10 doesnt. The 15 is expensive in comparison but I guess it as it is new out. Maybe the 305 would be a better bet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭neilc

I have the Garmin 620 with the new type run heart strap. While it's a good bit more comfortable than the older ones (for me anyway) I still don't particularly like it. I'd recommend going for a Garmin of your choice without a heart strap and pairing it up with a Scosche RHYTHM+. Think I'm going to pick one up myself in the next few weeks.

• Advertisement
Advertisement