Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Changing Job

• 17-06-2014 7:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

I've been doing working in my profession the last 14 years and have come to a crossroads where I'm longing for a change. The pay is reasonable and work is stable, but shiftwork leaves me with a low quality of life, socially at least. There's a lot to be said for mon-fri 8-5. Working in a very male dominated environment day in day out can be soul destroying.

Would be interested to hear of others experiences of changing jobs.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,473 ✭✭✭Wacker The Attacker

When it comes to changing career, the grass is very rarely greener on the other side.

There is next to no guarantee that a career change will increase your happiness.

Tread very carefully

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭maguic24

lufties wrote: »
    Working in a very male dominated environment day in day out can be soul destroying.

I work in a male dominated environment as well. I don't know I find it grand. :-/

Like above poster, grass is not always greener but if there's something else you really really want to do, there's no harm in giving it a shot. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,360 ✭✭✭Archeron

I want to be......a tree

Archeron wrote: »
    I want to be......a tree

A birch tree? ^____^

• Closed Accounts Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Alf. A. Male

I've made a huge change a couple of times, the last time for similar reasons to you. Well worth it and now love 9-5, those evenings and weekends are a godsend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

I've made a huge change a couple of times, the last time for similar reasons to you. Well worth it and now love 9-5, those evenings and weekends are a godsend.

Cheers for sharing that, Ya its not easy find a job for similar money. My reality is I do 2D 2N on 4off, 12hr shifts, the environment is incredibly depressing, I'm up at 4:30 in the morn and home after 7pm. Working with all men, I'm one of the youngest by about 20 years. I have an interview coming up for a 9-5 in the same industry i'm in now. I'd love to get it but don't want to put all my eggs in one basket.

A job is important, especially in a city like London but no job is worth stressing yourself into mental illness over. Especially since I'm single with no kids, no mortgage etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,290 ✭✭✭✭everlast75

Have you tried a psychometric test to see what you might be suitable for or do you know what you would like to do OP?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Awkward Badger

I don't know how anyone sticks shift work long term. I stuck it out for a year and I eventually left and took a 9-5 job with a considerable pay cut but it was well worth it.

everlast75 wrote: »
    Have you tried a psychometric test to see what you might be suitable for or do you know what you would like to do OP?

I'd love to persue a career as a Dj and producer of underground house music(what was that quote walt disney had about pursuing your dreams:)

Anyway for now I'm plodding along going nowhere fast, so ya, good idea about the test, might give it a lash.

Pugsly wrote: »
    I don't know how anyone sticks shift work long term. I stuck it out for a year and I eventually left and took a 9-5 job with a considerable pay cut but it was well worth it.

I travelled the world and earned a nice bit doing it, worked at many different airports and gained lots of experience, so it wasn't all bad. **** sick of it now though as its beginning to have an impact on my mental health.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭The Backwards Man

I couldn't work 9-5 for all the tea in China, I need variety, excitement, adventure, new problems to solve every day, new obstacles to overcome every week, new financial problems to give my bank manager sleepless nights every year.

9-5, it's enough to make you crazy if you let it. Fcuk that craic.

I couldn't work 9-5 for all the tea in China, I need variety, excitement, adventure, new problems to solve every day, new obstacles to overcome every week, new financial problems to give my bank manager sleepless nights every year.

9-5, it's enough to make you crazy if you let it. Fcuk that craic.

Advertisement