Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Buying windows 7

• 17-06-2014 8:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭

possible?

looking for a 32 bit version (ultimate hopefully, but I'll settle with Home)

I know of the usual illegal channels, but looking for something that I can keep up to date and safe.

any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

OEM, is that not supported?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,343 ✭✭✭PropJoe10

arctan wrote: »
    OEM, is that not supported?

I am no legal eagle, but found this on Google:

OEM software does not contain the nice box that a retail product does, but the software itself is identical. OEM software however has some limitations compared to the retail product. OEM software is only allowed to be installed on the computer to which the license sticker is attached. If no license sticker is attached, using the software would be illegal. As soon as the license sticker is attached to a computer, the license is bound to that computer. This means that if you sell the computer, you lose the right to use the OEM software and the new owner will legally own the license. Say you purchased an OEM license for Windows 7 and installed it on computer number one. After a week you decide to change the computer case to which the license sticker is attached, this means that you will have to purchase a new license for Windows 7, even though internally the computer is still the same and only the computer case changed. If you would sell your computer altogether, you would also lose your license for Windows 7.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭arctan

ah I see ! cheers for the info :-)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

the OEM license is only for machines that didn't already have a windows license
    and only supposed to be used by system builders

you could shell out for a business version of 8 that has down grade rights, but that is expensive, you'd need to get your own windows 7 media

• Advertisement
Advertisement