Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rolling sessions

• 17-06-2014 9:11pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭

Anyone know of anywhere around Dublin that are doing rolling sessions, need to learn and practise a bit before level 3 as it would be easier to learn in the pool than on the river? Canoeing Ireland aren't running any soon.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 502 ✭✭✭adrianshanahan

You are going to paddle in a river, learn in a river. It's far from cold this time of the year.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

You are going to paddle in a river, learn in a river. It's far from cold this time of the year.

Thanks Adrian,
    I've no problem learning in a river and its gonna cost 150 for the 2 day course but I'm worried i won't learn it in the time allocated on the course. I'm looking for someone or somewhere to teach it just for an hour or 2.

I see you looking to rent a boat as well, to be honest I think you would be best off joining up with a club. That way you might be able to use club equipment and benefit from more experienced paddler helping you learn to roll.

It's not difficult to learn to be honest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 152 ✭✭airbus125

Thanks Adrian
    Looking in WWKC

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,621 ✭✭✭yomchi

airbus125 wrote: »
    Thanks Adrian
    Looking in WWKC

Good choice ;)

If you sign up give us a shout

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Sam Collie

Hi.
    Can anyone recommend/advise where or how I could get some coaching with doing eskimo roll or learning capsize/rescue skills preferably in a pool as I would like to do this before the spring/summer? There is no canoe club near where I live that does pool sessions but I could easily plan a few sessions in Dublin preferably at weekends. I don't mind joining a club for insurance purposes if that's required but think that a few intensive one to one sessions might suit me better for what I want to achieve than doing a beginners course spread over several weeks or months.
    Many thanks!

Hi Sam, what's your current ability?

Do you have much experience or what kind of standard are you currently at?

Wow that was quick response! I am basically self taught - have paddled canadians and touring kayaks off and on for fun, for exercise and enjoying nature on rivers, lakes and sheltered sea inlets for 16 years. I can manage small to moderate rapids and weirs. My problem is I'm mildly claustrophobic and have never managed to submerge and right myself again while staying inside the spray deck in a canoe because it always felt like I wasn't going to get back up quick enough! I preferred being roughly tossed out of a canadian doing the liffey descent than attempting in a closed kayak/canoe. Silly I know and I would like to get over this before going on holidays this summer to Croatia where we hope to rent touring kayaks. I havn't tried upskilling in several years and would like some coaching so I can then practice myself when the weather gets warmer.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Where are you based. Might have a paddler near you willing to help.

Cavan area but I am in Dublin quite a lot. Since posting I have found a pool session at the end of February run by Shearwater. I plan to do that and then see how I get on. Would certainly appreciate knowing if there's any coaching sessions in the Cavan Meath area. Thanks very much!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭OldmanMondeo

Did you look for Cavan Canoe club? They play a lot of polo so they might have a pool session somewhere.

Advertisement