Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Quays Cycling Lane Dublin

12346»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,477 ✭✭✭rollingscone

buffalo wrote: »
    Our health service is in crisis... should we encourage people to be fitter and healthier by building cycling facilities, or keep them stewing in their cars a little longer?

The lazy ingrates should make themselves feel better by going to Brown Trousers and buying a leather jacket that doubles their debt.

Bit of a tangent but Brown Tumours also gets s fair bit of custom from people in minimum wage jobs that scrimp and save then overspend.

Back on point. Dublin is a primarily suburban city with a small centre not set up for mass motor traffic, retailers may fear change or the terrifying thought of exercise outside of a gym designed to look like a luxury hotel but the centre is now competing with suburban centres for retail and leisure traffic; and it's terrible at it.

It needs to change and take advantage of the opportunity to be the place people go to not be corralled, cajoled and crowded by hundreds of cars. They have the rest of the city for that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,093 ✭✭✭buffalo

I'm still waiting for the pedestrianisation of College Green.

And the culling/euthanising of the junkies.

I can be left and right wing at the same time, right?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

buffalo wrote: »
    I'm still waiting for the pedestrianisation of College Green.
    I remember that draft document an architects office threw up and I thought it looked great but it needed refinement, maybe a single lane for bus/cycles going through and deliveries at night.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 14,087 Mod ✭✭✭✭monument

CramCycle wrote: »
    I remember that draft document an architects office threw up and I thought it looked great but it needed refinement, maybe a single lane for bus/cycles going through and deliveries at night.

That's kind of what the NTA came up with: http://irishcycle.com/2014/01/20/artist-impressions-of-key-city-centre-streets/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,797 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

What do people think of the new idea of routing cyclists where the cars were to be routed, and share the Luas tracks where they meet the overlooked new apartment block?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/redesign-for-liffey-cycle-way-from-phoenix-park-to-docks-1.2655497

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭HivemindXX

tomasrojo wrote: »
    What do people think of the new idea of routing cyclists where the cars were to be routed, and share the Luas tracks where they meet the overlooked new apartment block?

http://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/redesign-for-liffey-cycle-way-from-phoenix-park-to-docks-1.2655497

I'm not a big fan of cycling on the Luas tracks. The bit outside St. James' is one of the least pleasant parts of my commute but perhaps this is because there are also cars on here and there are sunken grates every few meters. It is generally difficult to overtake in this situation since passing someone involves crossing at least one track at a very shallow angle. However perhaps this route could be ok, the primary thing I would want to watch out for is how much space there is between the actual track and the kerb.

I think the supposed advantages re: access to the park and Grangegorman are a joke. Surely that's just as big an advantage for the motorists right? What percentage of people actually using the north quays route want to go to either of those places.

The primary thing that I'm interested in is whether this still means a two way cycle track on the north side and nothing on the south side. This was a plan I never liked and if the route is not even adjacent to the river any more it is worse then before. How many people who want to go along the south quays are going to be willing to go over to Benburb street to do this?

I hope that the nonsense about the destruction this plan would have caused put about by local businesses didn't play in to this decision at all. I think valid concerns should be addressed but nonsense should be ignored. The poster these people put up made the previous plan seem like it was going to level the entire area.

As an aside, having had to commute along the quays every day for the last six months I find the north side to be far worse. Sure the south side is like a game show where drivers randomly grab a lane and the road widens and narrows over and over again but the north side is far worse during rush hour. It's common to see four or five buses or coaches in a row and any of them might be pulling in to stop or getting ready to move off. Taxis change lanes with little warning to pass the stopped buses. If cycling along an N road is like being at the side of race track the north quays in the morning is like being in the arctic sea, trying to navigate around slow moving icebergs and hoping that they won't randomly move together and crush you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,007 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Slightly off topic but does anyone know why they reversed the traffic flow on the quays after Sherwin bridge opened? I can't see what advantage it offered.

Advertisement